DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2. vs Mavic 2 Pro

AVLJMA

Premium Pilot
Reactions
So I am ready for my next drone. The Mini 2 is great but I need another one. You all know what I am talking about. I have compared the Mavic Air 2 to the Mavic Pro 2 and have come to the conclusion that the Mavic Air 2 is actually the better aircraft.

The Air has 2020 technology. Fewer but better sensors to avoid collision. A better video camera experience. Longer battery life 34 minutes in flight compared to 31. It can detect other aircraft in the area.

It appears the only advantage the PRO has over the AIR is the Hasselblad camera.

Can anyone talk me into the Pro 2 over the Air 2? Thanks in advance.

The better question would be "What do you actually need?" Or " Will you use potential/full power of MP2 "

The pro2 has much better video due D-Log and 10bit, also true 20mp sensor, significantly better low light capability, after all its 1" sensor v.s. 0"5, and maybe most importantly it has variable aperture F2.8 - 11

Never the less if you won't be using benefits of MP2 such as D-log & low light among other things you won't see much of a difference especially in good lighting conditions.

Maybe not as important to you the remote controller is aside from being miles more practical also MUCH better and much more functional with all its custom buttons and its own 5 function joystic.

There are advantages of air 2 in sense of weight being lighter then MP2 and much cheaper, once again the true question for yourself should be what capability from the aircraft you actually need. Buy the device that fits your needs but if you simply want the best camera on a small drone mp2 is the way to go.

Personally all I ever do with MP2 is 70% video work 30% photography work ( Television/movies/TV shows/ video spots/ music videos ) and always have been on 2.7k D-log or 4k D-log if you ain't gonna use D-log you don't really need MP2

( keep in mind D-LOG 10bit H265 requires a beast of a pc )

For example my DJI FPV Drone in D-cinelike at 4k60 isn't nearly as resource hungry as 10 bit DLOG is, understandably isn't as powerful as D-LOG either same goes for air 2.

Here is also a good comparison to ease your choice

Last edited:
I think @shane8289 pretty much covered it. But let me rephrase what he said in question form. What is the main reason/purpose for the larger drone? If you have a Mini 2 why do you "need" another drone? The answer to your main question will be nested in that answer.

I think I was in the same boat as you back in August, with a Mini 1. The reason I went with the M2P was because my Mini was often grounded because of the wind here and I didn't want to have to deal with that and wanted rock solid stability and reliability, something that I knew I'd get with a heavier aircraft. I knew I'd be photographing in low light. I also wanted better control of lighting conditions and settings. One of the things that shane8289 forgot to mention was that the Mavic 2 Pro has a variable aperture, from f2.8 to f11 whereas the Mavic Air 2 has a fixed aperture of f2.8. So, while I might have to use ND filters on the M2 I can set the shutter speed as I need it for cinematic effect and have a couple f-stops in the aperture to play staying close to optimal sharpness. The Mavic Air 2 only allows you to adjust shutter and ISO, which I presume would be left at ISO 100 most of the time.

Another minor thing that Shane didn't mention is the controller. The M2's controller is smaller and lighter, while the MA2 controller is kind of a bulky brick. The one thing that Shane did mention are the customizable buttons on the M2. When going from video to photography, the M2 has separate buttons to start and stop recording which makes it very fast, easy and convenient to go from one format to the other and back again. You always know whether you're starting video or taking a still on the M2. On the MA2 controller you have on button to start and stop recording for both. So you have to be consciously aware of what mode you're in.

I didn't mention that I have a Mini2 now, which shares the same controller as the MA2. The only advantage I see with the MA2 controller is that it has such a big honkin' battery inside you can charge your phone as you fly. The MA2 controller, while not significant, is about 3 ounces heavier than the M2 controller. But here's something I haven't seen anyone else mention... The feel of the sticks on the M2 have a smoother, silkier more refined feel to them. I don't have a MA2 so I can't tell you about stick response itself with the drone itself, but I really prefer the way the M2 flies.

One more, and hopefully last thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is Cine mode vs Tripod Mode of the M2. I have to hope the Cine mode on the MA2 is better than on the Mini 2. With the Mini 2 when flying close to obstacles or indoors I have to be so careful not to move the sticks too far off of center or the Mini 2 becomes abrupt or decides to kiss something nearby. The M2 Tripod mode slows it down to about 2.5mph, which provides a ton of control in tight spaces. How will the MA2 compare or contrast with the Mini2 in the Cine mode? I can't tell you but I'm sure someone else might be able to. Hopefully it's more controllable than the Mini2 which is my biggest gripe about that drone. I never used prop guards with my Mini 1 but don't dare fly inside or close to stuff without them with the Mini 2. I'd recommend checking that out as part of your reseach.

That's all I got (I think). Good luck.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
One more thing to consider...
You can get a REFURBISHED Mavic 2 pro for $1279 and if you buy it from DJI or an authorized retailer I promise you will not know the difference between refurbished and "new". I went that route and there were ZERO signs or indications that my M2 had ever been flown before. The packaging seemed brand new just like a "new" unit, not a mark or scratch or even the slightest sign of wear or use. Same with controller batteries, accessories. They had to be "new". Not one hiccup in flight or filming. I couldn't be happier.

Everything @shane8289 , @vindibona1 , @elborak said. M2P all day long.

I’m even more impressed with the M2P Hasselblad camera and its sensor since I’ve gotten into using Hybrid Log Gamma and producing HDR videos.

Every day I log into this community and everyday I log out having learned even more about the drone world from some very experienced and generous drone pilots. I literally take notes.

I have decided between the Mavic Air 2 and the PRO. My wife hit me with logic. I hate that when it happens. She suggested I get the AIR and learn what I can from that. She said to save up and get the PRO next year. The upside is that there may be an updated PRO by then. I guess we'll see.

I just want to thank everyone for taking the time to write well thought out and informative responses. Again, I learned more about what the PRO is really all about. I think I am a year away from using the PRO as it was intended but I will get there.

Thanks, again, for all the great feed back.

Related a bit to this thread, I’ve got an extra M2P I’d be glad to trade for an MA2 with the fly more kit. The M2P is better in almost every respect (and I have another I fly daily) but I’d like something smaller for travel, and the MA2 is tempting me.

Had mavic 2 pro, mavic air 2 and currently mini 2. M2P is old and expensive - dont bother with it, air 2 is definitely better option right now. If i were you i would wait couple months till dji will relase next drone, and next drone in this year is almost certain just look at dji relase history.

Reactions: AVLJMA
So I am ready for my next drone. The Mini 2 is great but I need another one. You all know what I am talking about. I have compared the Mavic Air 2 to the Mavic Pro 2 and have come to the conclusion that the Mavic Air 2 is actually the better aircraft.

The Air has 2020 technology. Fewer but better sensors to avoid collision. A better video camera experience. Longer battery life 34 minutes in flight compared to 31. It can detect other aircraft in the area.

It appears the only advantage the PRO has over the AIR is the Hasselblad camera.

Can anyone talk me into the Pro 2 over the Air 2? Thanks in advance.
the Pro handles the wind better than the Air.
The Pro sometimes when flying over GEOMatric areas give alarms like , bottom senses malfunction .Its too sensitive to geophysical changes in the landscape .

Since the rumor mill is flying with the potential release of Air 2S, Waiting a little while too potentially see what may be a replacement for the Mavic Air 2. There is a lot of speculation, so getting a clear picture of features right now may be easier said than done..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242