DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 with Smart Controller or iPad Mini?

Rankat1

Reactions
Just about ready to pull the trigger and purchase a Mavic Air 2. I have been flying the P3 Standard for last couple of years and ready to move up. First thought about buying the Fly More package with the DJI smart controller, but seeing some videos with concerns of dropping signal/connection and less flying distance than standard controller. Have previously flown my P3 with an iPad mini as I prefer the larger screen.

Question 1: Is it a better flying experience with the DJI smart controller or the iPad mini? (Note: Novice Pilot for Recreation Only)

Question 2: If I go with the iPad Mini (definitely get a cellular version for maps), which model(s) work the best?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

If you go with an Ipad Mini for the larger screen, you'll need to get the Mini 5, which has the most powerful processor as DJI Fly is a cpu hog.

I fly the MA2 with the smart controller and I have had no drop in signal. The convenience of simply getting it out the bag, connecting and flying without wires for iPad/iPhone, the crystal clear bright screen and large storing capacity make it my first choice even though it is Android not iOS which I prefer. At the moment only my MA2 runs on the smart controller but the new Mini2 will be added once firmware is updated and released in the new year.
If you run apps like “Litchi” or “Mavic Haven” for waypoints, orbit etc. There will be a delay before they are released for the MA2/Mini2 as with iOS, probably by the end of January for the MA2 and Easter for the Mini2 as dji are having to deal with ever changing regulations and requirements which in turn has delayed everything.
If you decide to go with an iPad mini 5 and not the smart controller then if it is only for flying your drone you can run the satellite maps “offline” which allow you to cache the maps for the areas you are going to fly in which works very well as I have done with my mini5 which is wifi only.
If you have an iPhone you can keep that with you when flying and connect via “hotspot” with the iPad mini5 which for me works extremely well.

Just a couple of suggestions as the wifi only iPad mini5 is cheaper.

Good luck with your choice

Reactions: rp6 and robwas
I use an ipad mini 5 with my MA2, and think it works really well. I have the wifi version, so set my phone up as a hotspot and connect to that so I have the maps.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Appreciate all of the feedback...a lot to think about. Spending the extra $400 for the SC is a 50/50 right now, but would seem to be much more convenient. Just want to make sure I get the benefit if only flying for recreation.

Thanks to all for the feedback!

Go with the Smart Controller, it is much brighter than an iPad and will not shut down due to overheating in hot climates, like an ipad does. Yes it is a cost but it is so simple to use, unlike all the connections and various batteries that all need to be separately charged when using the controller and an ipad.

If you can afford it, you will never regret it and you can take it with you to another drone such as the Mavic 2 series and hopefully any other future versions and sell on your current drone with the regular controller.

So those of you that use the SC with the new Mavic Air 2, just want to confirm you see no issues with dropping signal, random reboot during flight, lower flight range, or any other issues/problems that some have posted on YouTube, etc.? Were there recent firmware updates that may have addressed/corrected some of the posted issues? Overall, I like the idea of using the SC, but just don't want to go through a post purchase regret. I have really never used an Android system some have reported some bugs with it as well... Thanks again for all the feedback!

Appreciate all of the feedback...a lot to think about. Spending the extra $400 for the SC is a 50/50 right now, but would seem to be much more convenient. Just want to make sure I get the benefit if only flying for recreation.

Thanks to all for the feedback!

I’m recreational. One other thing, I think the screen on the SC is much easier to see in the sunlight.

Just about ready to pull the trigger and purchase a Mavic Air 2. I have been flying the P3 Standard for last couple of years and ready to move up. First thought about buying the Fly More package with the DJI smart controller, but seeing some videos with concerns of dropping signal/connection and less flying distance than standard controller. Have previously flown my P3 with an iPad mini as I prefer the larger screen.

Question 1: Is it a better flying experience with the DJI smart controller or the iPad mini? (Note: Novice Pilot for Recreation Only)

Question 2: If I go with the iPad Mini (definitely get a cellular version for maps), which model(s) work the best?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

The smart controller! It’s well worth the investment. The simplicity is awesome, turn it on & fly!

So those of you that use the SC with the new Mavic Air 2, just want to confirm you see no issues with dropping signal, random reboot during flight, lower flight range, or any other issues/problems that some have posted on YouTube, etc.? Were there recent firmware updates that may have addressed/corrected some of the posted issues? Overall, I like the idea of using the SC, but just don't want to go through a post purchase regret. I have really never used an Android system some have reported some bugs with it as well... Thanks again for all the feedback!
If you can live with the small SC screen and DJI's custom Android software for it (which is invariably the buggiest and last to be updated!) go for it. Otherwise, your money is far better spent on a larger iPad which runs the superior iOS version of all DJI apps, which are always the first to be updated! iOS for the win, without regret! Your iPad can also be used independently of the drone, and even used for editing your drone videos and photos! If you insist upon flying in direct sunlight (the worst video lighting!), fly under some shade or get a hood for the iPad.

No issues with anything using my smart controller with my MA2 at all, No bugs.

I downloaded the Google Play Ptore and Amazon App Store via YouTube help and it makes it all the more better.

As far as size & brightness, perfect again. Yes some pilots prefer using iPads or tablets but that just means an added adapter, more cables and less portability. I went that route early on, iPad and adapter. it’s just not for me

The MA2, a smart controller, a battery or two and you’re good to go! I’ll never look back. Just my two cents and preference but it’s what you feel will be best for your use.

My reason for avoiding the SC is that it runs a 32-bit version of Android. That means it's already obsolete and fewer and fewer apps will be able to run on it going forward. A very short-sighted decision by DJI IMO.

I predict a 64-bit SC2 at some point, and that I'll consider.

Good point on the 32-bit version of Android. Overall, seems like a lot of folks on this feedback advise the SC is the way to go with no issues. I can see the benefits of the brighter screen and quicker start up and fly, and no overheat issues. I am just trying to really justify the extra $400 in the combo fly more/SC package.

Good point on the 32-bit version of Android. Overall, seems like a lot of folks on this feedback advise the SC is the way to go with no issues. I can see the benefits of the brighter screen and quicker start up and fly, and no overheat issues. I am just trying to really justify the extra $400 in the combo fly more/SC package.
The SC owners here are just rationalizing their purchase, having never tried a larger iOS based iPad. If you search wider for all the SC problems from inception, you'll have a more balanced perception. The vast majority of DJI owners are far happier with larger iPads running iOS versions of the flying apps, as well as third party iOS flying apps. The SC is always the last device to be supported, and is now also very long in the tooth. Boot up with an attached iPad is no slower than the SC. Shade is all you need for adequate brightness, even in full sun. Go with your gut instincts. They are sound! Get the Mini 5 or a full sized iPad.

Reactions: MA2 317
The SC owners here are just rationalizing their purchase, having never tried a larger iOS based iPad. If you search wider for all the SC problems from inception, you'll have a more balanced perception. The vast majority of DJI owners are far happier with larger iPads running iOS versions of the flying apps, as well as third party iOS flying apps. The SC is always the last device to be supported, and is now also very long in the tooth. Boot up with an attached iPad is no slower than the SC. Shade is all you need for adequate brightness, even in full sun. Go with your gut instincts. They are sound! Get the Mini 5 or a full sized iPad.

Seems like you are rationalizing why everyone should not consider or use the SC and discredit those that are current users of it.

The SC has not been available long enough for the vast majority of DJI owners to use it, so less owners may be using it and are asking about it. Those that are using it seem to like and prefer it, however I’m sure there are a few that had a bad experience with it.

I have the DJI original controller that came with the unit, and an iPad Pro 2020 which I have used with the DJI app. Both are fine to use. I find using the SC seems to be far more convenient to use with no problems or issues.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair