DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2S Hover

bmoore1118

Reactions
I have been flying for a while and just got the 2S.

I usually don't do much hover-in-place video recording (usually moving or taking photos).

I was parked on the side of the road and flew back to where I took off and when it stopped and hovered (5 feet above the ground and 10 feet from me over asphalt) I noticed that the live video was not stable.

There was only about a 5MPH wind but you could tell on my phone and by looking at the drone that it was moving back and forth slightly (maybe 6 inches drift).

I had about 21 gps satellites and it was a sunny day.

Again I usually don't do over-in place videos but some low light/night photos and want to make sure that there is nothing wrong that the photos will be blurry.

I have only had the drone for maybe 3 weeks and done 10-20 flights. I didnt think I would need to recalibrate anything yet. Any help would be very thankful!

Reactions: BrianTM
A much better test would be to fly inside where no wind can result in any movement.
Its also possible , not sure why but the props are not weighing all the same on my scale , so check for that also.

So if the props are off by 0.03g - 0.06g that may be just enough for it to effect it in a hover situation but I would check the no wind test first indoors.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Reactions: bmoore1118
I was parked on the side of the road and flew back to where I took off and when it stopped and hovered (5 feet above the ground and 10 feet from me over asphalt) I noticed that the live video was not stable.

There was only about a 5MPH wind but you could tell on my phone and by looking at the drone that it was moving back and forth slightly (maybe 6 inches drift).
There are two relevant points for you.
1. At 5 ft above asphalt, your drone is trying to use VPS to find a pattern or texture in the asphalt and probably not having much luck as asphalt doesn't provide a good surface for VPS recognition.
2. It's unrealistic to expect the drone to pe perfectly still when hovering.
But you will have the most stable hovering if you have a good VPS surface to hover over.
From the specs:
Hovering Accuracy Range
Vertical:
± 0.1 m (with vision positioning)
± 0.5 m (with GNSS positioning)
Horizontal:
± 0.1 m (with vision positioning)
± 1.5 m (with GNSS positioning)

I have only had the drone for maybe 3 weeks and done 10-20 flights. I didnt think I would need to recalibrate anything yet. Any help would be very thankful!
As mentioned VPS still would be 4"ish drift. When accurate and GPS hold..well.... several feet.. usually much better, but specs are specs :)

I was going to say what @Meta4 said. Thanks for sharing

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54