DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air 2s not in forcus

bmoore1118

Reactions
I was wondering if someone could look at my photo and give me some advice.

I love this photos and when I look at it on my Ipad pro and pixel peep it looks great but when I though it up onto my 24 inch monitor and zoom in 100% is looks like crap and out of focus.

I swear during the flight I focused the image. Any advice?

Attachments

• DJI_0942-HDR-Pano.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 24
Reactions: mereflyer
I was wondering if someone could look at my photo and give me some advice.

I love this photos and when I look at it on my Ipad pro and pixel peep it looks great but when I though it up onto my 24 inch monitor and zoom in 100% is looks like crap and out of focus.

I swear during the flight I focused the image. Any advice?
Does it do this on every photo or just a pano? Based on the filename, I am guessing its a pano. Maybe try a few more shots and see if problems persist. if they do, you may need to have DJI look at it..

I guess the other question might be if your all up to date, perhaps if your not, updates may have fixed an issue?

Does it do this on every photo or just a pano? Based on the filename, I am guessing its a pano. Maybe try a few more shots and see if problems persist. if they do, you may need to have DJI look at it..

I guess the other question might be if your all up to date, perhaps if your not, updates may have fixed an issue?
It doesnt look as bad on each photo. I did a HDR panorama in Lightroom. I am also at about 1K feet (way out in the middle of no wear). The height with the fixed 2.8 could have played a role.

I was also shooting some video at the same time so I did have an ND filter on. The long exposure was 1/25

It doesnt look as bad on each photo. I did a HDR panorama in Lightroom. I am also at about 1K feet (way out in the middle of no wear). The height with the fixed 2.8 could have played a role.

I was also shooting some video at the same time so I did have an ND filter on. The long exposure was 1/25
if the individual photos do not look bad, perhaps it was the LR processing, though that seems unlikely.

Forest scenes can look crisp perhaps in normal or reduced size and then look poor when blown up depending perhaps on the resolution of the shot. If the video looks Ok, perhaps there is not a problem unless it's really obvious that everything is not sharp.

I did some shots & video the other day using an ND filter and was not impressed with the output, and it was a standard DJI 16 if I recall. Perhaps the quality of the ND filter makes a difference? If you were using another make of filter, and other output looked ok, then it gets harder to know why this particular shot looks poor if expanded.

Sorry, but the image you posted is actually a normal image from the Air2s, especially a stitched jpeg pano. Pixel peeping on a "big" monitor will reveal the limitations. You can try editing/tweaking but the adjustments are limited using a jpeg file.
ANY ND filter is going to affect the quality of a still image. It removes light and forces a (slower) shutter speed and increases the iso. Both of those will affect a still image's quality/sharpness. Since the aperture on the Air2s if fixed, it leaves only the shutter speed and iso to use to change the exposure. Try that same shot without the ND and compare.
An ND filter is only good (for stills) for cutting back an over-exposed scene if the shutter/iso adjustments can't and creating motion blur (the usual example is creating the effect of a "frozen" waterfall).
Even though the drone's camera is stabilized by its gimbal, there still could be some movement so, as in most photography, the faster the shutter/lower the iso the better for sharp images. So allowing the most possible light in would be best...not taking it away with an ND filter.

Video is another story, however, and that is the true use of an ND....getting the shutter speed down to create the video "smoothness"

Last edited:
Reactions: Dbez1 and mereflyer
As jmb stated above, there is only one reason to use a ND filter for stills. Try ditching the ND filter. Video is an entirely different story. Best wishes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa