DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air can't upgrade, can't fly.

nhwhelehan

Reactions
Hey DJI folks, an Autel pilot here looking for some help. My neighbor has a Mavic Air with Crystal Sky. It has sat in his closet for 4 years, at least! Knowing my activity in flying, he requested me to go through the aircraft, remote, etc. to get it safely back in the air. And to train him. He inherited the M-Air from a technical school. Looks good, batteries and mechanically. This bird looks almost virgin.

Spooling the motors has failed. It's showing both a weak connection and a required upgrade. It uses the DJI Go app. I downloaded the upgrade, but it won't load from the Crystal Sky to the remote. I have tried over 6 times. I then downloaded DJI Go into 2 of my own phones that are dedicated to drones. Same result. I have even tried different cables, utilizing all the connections: USB, USB micro and USB-C.

Following are the messages I get, now that each "phone" has the update in it, following system start-up:
"Remote Controller Signal Weak" (on Camera screen top-center)
"Firmware Update Required" (on Camera screen top-center)
(I then press the top, center of the screen, bringing up the Upgrade screen)
"Download Finished"
I then press "Start Upgrade" below the above message and it sits at 0%. I usually leave it in that state until I burn up at least 50% of the controller battery. Therefore, many, many minutes!

Any thoughts, fellow pilots? I specialize in Autel, but also own an Air 2S and a Mini 2, so I'm not a stranger to the DJI apps, but I use both DJI Fly and Litchi for them. Thank you for any help you can give. I'd love to help this guy out.

Did you try downloading the Go4 app directly from DJIs website. I think the direct download apps have the extension APK. You can run it directly on you phone and upgrade the firmware that way. I forgot the details. Maybe someone else can help describe the process.

Reactions: nhwhelehan
No such thing as a “required“ update. The message may read that way, but it is not required. It was probably flying fine prior to storage and will do the same now.

Reactions: nhwhelehan
No such thing as a “required“ update. The message may read that way, but it is not required. It was probably flying fine prior to storage and will do the same now.
That was my understanding. I'd LOVE to skip this little "speedbump." But I can't bypass this and fly. I'm tied up right now, but will take a couple snapshots of the screens later today and send them to you. Might that help?

That was my understanding. I'd LOVE to skip this little "speedbump." But I can't bypass this and fly. I'm tied up right now, but will take a couple snapshots of the screens later today and send them to you. Might that help?
Anything will help.

I just flew my Mavic Air yesterday after a lapse of about a year. I had to delete the DJI GO 4 app I had on my phone. When I tried to open it, my phone advised that the app had a 'bug' and that I had to delete it. I did. Downloaded the DJI GO 4 app directly from DJI and it worked. Flew it and used for both photos and video. Good luck.

Reactions: Capt KO
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851