DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air - Connection to my android device

horesham

Reactions
Hi

Should I be selecting a wired or wifi connection ?
Is there anyway to stop the controller charging a connected android device ?

Many thanks
Roger

Wired as that is more stable & reliable.

No, not usually. That lack of control comes from the android system, some phone brands have included the missing functionality but most haven't. If you root your phone you will have several options to avoid RC charge the phone though.

Wired and WiFi options are available on the Air.

But definitely choose wired. Wireless doesn't use the RC at all and it very limited. I believe it's only 100m.

Wired and WiFi options are available on the Air.

But definitely choose wired. Wireless doesn't use the RC at all and it very limited. I believe it's only 100m.
Yeah.

To be clear you can connect directly from the phone to the Air via wifi but if you want to connect your phone to the controller it's wired only.

"Is there anyway to stop the controller charging a connected android device ? "

Still an issue for most I guess - is there a solution ?

A member has kindly suggested "If you root your phone you will have several options to avoid RC charge the phone" I'm not sure what that actually means or how to go about it !

A comment on youtube from an American user simply says "just need to replace orginal DJI USB cable by USB data only cable "

Does that make sense, has anybody tried it ?

"Is there anyway to stop the controller charging a connected android device ? "...

A member has kindly suggested "If you root your phone you will have several options to avoid RC charge the phone" I'm not sure what that actually means or how to go about it !

By "rooting" your Android ... or "Jail Breaking" your iOS phone you mainly open up access to the system files of your phones operating system ... by doing that it's suddenly possible to install apps that gives you the ability to control how/when for instance your phone accept charge. Myself have an Android & have it "rooted" ... have then installed --> Battery Charge Limit from Google Play. It's a nice app as it doesn't shut down the phones "take charge" possibility completely (which can be disastrous if you drain the phone battery completely to shut down ... then it can't be charged up again), I have set that app to only accept charge below 15% & well there only charge to 40%.

But as said this require that you root your Android or if iOS that you Jail break ... and that is another geek complicated story.

... "just need to replace orginal DJI USB cable by USB data only cable "

Does that make sense, has anybody tried it ?

Yeah ... that's true, you can either split open a cable & manually find out and cut the charging conductor or try to buy one usb cable without that conductor.

I myself have found out that I can easily fly all four of my Mavic Air batteries empty without going empty for the RC ... if I start up with everything fully charged (which you always should).
So I don't care about the "RC charging the phone" anymore.

Also don't forget that your RC accepts charging over a power bank if it's needed ...

USB specs and most Androids want to see power on the power leads before it will engage data. The trick we're all trying to figure out is what current limit we can apply that works for most and maintain stability. 10mA seems too low.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000