DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air crash due to "at least" 3 rookie mistakes

chillroy

Reactions

I was lucky to get it back, virtually unscathed apart from the propellers that needed to be replaced. Low battery triggered auto land (a little sooner than I was expecting) it crashed into some tree and took a tumble from about 80ft. The Mavic Air is very robust. Gimble, camera all sensors still working as normal. I'm extremely grateful to the guy that recovered my drone and left it in a safe place for me to find about 5 mins later. I was approx 1km away from the crash. I tracked the drone location through DJI Go 4 app. To say I was relieved to see my drone intact and waiting for me is an understatement. Unforrtunately no sign of the guy that recovered my drone.

The 3 rookie mistakes I made...that I can think of, there's probably a lot more lol.

1) I set out to fly long distance on 85% battery charge.
2) I flew long distance in Sport mode...to get to my area of interest. A group of sail boats just over 3km away from my location.
3) I didn't take into consideration wind direction. I have a strong suspicion that the drone was encumbered by wind direction and speed for the return to home flight.

I'd like to think that I will not repeat any of these oversights again. hmmm we'll see.

I was lucky to get it back, virtually unscathed apart from the propellers that needed to be replaced. Low battery triggered auto land (a little sooner than I was expecting) it crashed into some tree and took a tumble from about 80ft. The Mavic Air is very robust. Gimble, camera all sensors still working as normal. I'm extremely grateful to the guy that recovered my drone and left it in a safe place for me to find about 5 mins later. I was approx 1km away from the crash. I tracked the drone location through DJI Go 4 app. To say I was relieved to see my drone intact and waiting for me is an understatement. Unforrtunately no sign of the guy that recovered my drone.

The 3 rookie mistakes I made...that I can think of, there's probably a lot more lol.

2) I flew long distance in Sport mode...to get to my area of interest. A group of sail boats just over 3km away from my location.
3) I didn't take into consideration wind direction. I have a strong suspicion that the drone was encumbered by wind direction and speed for the return to home flight.

I'd like to think that I will not repeat any of these oversights again. hmmm we'll see.

And #4 flying BVLOS

Ya learn something every day!
From the manual:
Regardless of which position the switch is in on the remote controller, the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom begins in P-mode by default. To switch flight modes, first go to Camera View in DJI GO 4, tap and enable “Multiple Flight Modes”. After enabling multiple flight modes, toggle the switch to P and then to S or T to switch flight modes.

VLOS is not an issue anymore here in Canada if you are trained in advanced operations - how many drone pilots here fly beyond VLOS - I bet a lot.
I somehow fail to see how the OP was operating under the ‘Advanced Operation’ conditions......:confused:

I somehow fail to see how the OP was operating under the ‘Advanced Operation’ conditions......:confused:

I believe the difference is the test (theory plus practical) you have to pass to be deemed capable of "advanced operation" of the drone. I don't see VLOS stated explicitly, but I guess it could be inferred from the "fly within operational limits of your drone" - if the drone is capable of being controlled 3 miles away, then that is within operational limits.

From Transport Canada website:
If you meet any 1 of these conditions, you are conducting advanced operations:
  • You want to fly in controlled airspace
  • You want to fly over bystanders
  • You want to fly within 30 metres (100 feet) of bystanders (measured horizontally)
For advanced operations, here are some of the rules you must follow:
  • Register your drone with Transport Canada before you fly it for the first time
  • Mark your drone with its registration number
  • Pass the Small Advanced Exam
  • Pass a flight review with a flight reviewer
  • Be able to show your Pilot Certificate – Advanced Operations and proof of registration when you fly your drone
  • Seek permission from air traffic control (likely NAV CANADA) to fly in controlled airspace (request an RPAS Flight Authorization from NAV CANADA)
  • Fly within the operational limits of your drone
You can only use drones that meet the safety requirements for the operation you want to conduct. See tips on choosing the right drone before you fly.

Hope this helps...

Reactions: WAXMAN
ACTUALLY - I stand corrected. On another Transport Canada website on "Flying your drone safely and legally" I found this, that required VLOS for both basic and advanced operation.....

While flying
To keep yourself and others safe, fly your drone:
  • where you can see it at all times
  • below 122 metres (400 feet) in the air
  • away from bystanders, at a minimum horizontal distance of 30 metres for basic operations
  • away from emergency operations and advertised events
    • Avoid forest fires, outdoor concerts and parades
  • away from airports and heliports
    • 5.6 kilometres (3 nautical miles) from airports
    • 1.9 kilometres (1 nautical mile) from heliports
  • outside controlled airspace (for basic operations only)
  • far away from other aircraft
    • Don’t fly anywhere near airplanes, helicopters and other drones

Reactions: dawgpilot
U were lucky....

VLOS is not an issue anymore here in Canada if you are trained in advanced operations - how many drone pilots here fly beyond VLOS - I bet a lot.
Interesting.....
Perhaps you could point me (and others) to the relevant section within TCCA's rules where they state BVLOS is allowable for UAS operations?

Thank You

Reactions: RWD
I'd like to think that I will not repeat any of these oversights again.
To find out what the actual issues were rather than guessing, you need to look into the recorded flight data.
That will be educational as you can see whether/how much wind affected things etc and learn things that can make your flying safer in future.

To do that:
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

To find out what the actual issues were rather than guessing, you need to look into the recorded flight data.
That will be educational as you can see whether/how much wind affected things etc and learn things that can make your flying safer in future.

To do that:
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Nice tip. I don't have my Smart glasses at work unfortunately which is what I used for that flight. I'm looking forward to retrieveing that log this evening. Thanks.

Operating BVLOS, not thinking about wind or starting at 100% on a distance flight, and crashing low battery 1km away barely over the shore was really, really risky. Glad you were clear of bystanders and got it back, and your commitment to learn should treat you well.

Here's my flight log.
There's a glitch that's not showing your flight track in the Phantomhelp report.
Here's what it looks like:
i-4QwbwTG-XL.jpg

You correctly identified departing with a less than fully charged battery and burning battery in Sport Mode as factors.
Flying long distance where you'll have a headwind on the return flight is a popular way to lose drones but the wind probably wasn't a significant factor this time.
Coming home in RTH, your speed was 18 mph hands-off and 24mph pushing the right stick forward.
You had obstacle avoidance disabled which is a good idea when it's not needed as you gain extra speed.
You found out that hands-off RTH flies slower than you can when you push the right stick forward.

Reactions: Brandaloo

Kudo's and bigtime respect, for recognizing and reporting your errors. It is so easy to forget the basic procedures, even after many flight hours of experience.

There's a glitch that's not showing your flight track in the Phantomhelp report.
Here's what it looks like:
i-4QwbwTG-XL.jpg

You correctly identified departing with a less than fully charged battery and burning battery in Sport Mode as factors.
Flying long distance where you'll have a headwind on the return flight is a popular way to lose drones but the wind probably wasn't a significant factor this time.
Coming home in RTH, your speed was 18 mph hands-off and 24mph pushing the right stick forward.
You had obstacle avoidance disabled which is a good idea when it's not needed as you gain extra speed.
You found out that hands-off RTH flies slower than you can when you push the right stick forward.
By the way after the crash landing unbeknownst to me at the time I was missing the left side rear arm panel. I manage to recover it the next day and snap it back into place, snug. After my first flight post crash I noticed the panel was missing again. No such luck finding it again a 2nd time. Any advice on my best course of action? I'm not covered with DJI Care. Is this a part that I should try to find online and secure with glue?

Attachments

• IMG_20190808_194152.jpg
    IMG_20190808_194152.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 43
You didn't mention.... I suggest having a 'reward if found' sticker on the drone. Not to sqy someone won't walk away with it. But its better than nothing.

To my knowledge, flying BVLOS in Canada requires a SFOC, and getting that from Transport Canada for BVLOS flight is extremely difficult.

Watching the video I thought you piloted it too close to tree due to nerves and low battery. To read a stranger recovered it and left it for you is remarkable. Very cool!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake