DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air disconnected 60 feet

William Ball

Reactions
Had a strange thing happen today, I went to a local Historical community here in my home town. I asked my wife to walk along the sidewalk next to the antheneom hotel in Chautauqua. I used active track to track her. All went great, until I "stopped" the active track when she came back to me. I hit the stop icon on the phone and then I just started to fly it myself. I flew back over toward the hotel about 60 -100 feet away and 20 feet in the air. At that point the controller LED went red, the quad started flashing yellow very rapidly, The phone said aircraft disconnected, and the quad went in to RTH. There was nothing I could do to reestablish connection. It rose to 180 feet high, (which is what I set for RTH) came back to the start point and landed. Now what did I do wrong? Should I have stopped active track in a different manner? It all looked good when I stopped it and I had 16 Sats at the time. I uploaded the flight to airdata and it shows the last location at exactaly the point where it initiated RTH, with 16 sats locked. It showed ZERO signal errors. I came home and connected everything up, and I physically walked the quad around my 40 acre property and never lost the connection back to my son who was holding the controller and watching the video on the phone. The quad at that point was shoulder height being walked through the paths I have brush hogged on my property and was, at most times, out of line of site to the controller, never lost signal. Now here is the kicker! When I was filming at Chautauqua, a National Grid Van (our local meter readers and power supplier) drove by me, just as I stopped the active track. Do you suppose that the system they have for reading meters on peoples houses could have interfered with the wifi and "stepped" on the connection? All these Schmucks do is ride around and read the meters wirelessly from the comfort of the vehicle. Thoughts?

It's possible. But I can't say for sure. I don't know if those vans send a signal or just receive...

But I'm not surprised. I'm an very experienced drone pilot, on my first flight out with my Mavic Air it completely lost connection at only 500' feet away and 125' up. It went into auto-RTH. I regained video at about 200' but couldn't take control till it was directly above me. Glad it worked like it should but its the first DJI drone I've owned thats happened to. For me I found that when I did the updates prior to flying just using the drone and the DJI GO app. It didn't download all the FW updates. I had to use DJI Assistant.

My MA still is the most finicky DJI drone I own even when compared to my Spark and "problematic" if you compare it to my MP which never gives me issues. My MA will more often flash message about interference, it's video will get laggy at short distances while still in VLOS, it asks for Compass Calibrations far more than any of my other DJI drones.

It's possible. But I can't say for sure. I don't know if those vans send a signal or just receive...

But I'm not surprised. I'm an very experienced drone pilot, on my first flight out with my Mavic Air it completely lost connection at only 500' feet away and 125' up. It went into auto-RTH. I regained video at about 200' but couldn't take control till it was directly above me. Glad it worked like it should but its the first DJI drone I've owned thats happened to. For me I found that when I did the updates prior to flying just using the drone and the DJI GO app. It didn't download all the FW updates. I had to use DJI Assistant.

My MA still is the most finicky DJI drone I own even when compared to my Spark and "problematic" if you compare it to my MP which never gives me issues. My MA will more often flash message about interference, it's video will get laggy at short distances while still in VLOS, it asks for Compass Calibrations far more than any of my other DJI drones.
I agree, I owned the flamewheel 450 using the old DJI Naza MV2 controller 8 years ago or so. I loved that thing, never had an issue with it. It was only using US sats and Not glonass. But it performed well. I also have the Phantom 3 Advanced. NEVER a problem with it. This MA is fickle one for sure. At my house, out in the boonies I have never had a disconnect, One time in a setting where there is more population and I lose connection. Funny thing with mine is, I never regained the video feed or any control until I powered everything back up. It wasen't that it was too far away for the signal, It just plain "Unhooked" from the controller. I tried closing the DJI app and reopening it. It didn't help. Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

-Bill

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143