DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air - DJI Refurbished questions

GarthH

Reactions
Hey guys, new to the forum. Bought a refurbished Mavic Air Fly More from DJI yesterday, should be delivered this week. Got a few questions for you fine folks.
1. Are the batteries new in the refurbished packages? Couldn't find this info on the official website.
2. Plan to test the functions/modes/etc of the unit at low altitude in my backyard - is there anything specific that I should pay attention to, considering that this is a refurbished unit?
3. I did not buy the Care/Refresh. The warranty on the unit is 1 year. I've read threads about users' drones suffering from hardware failure, etc and being lost in a lake or somewhere unrecoverable. Will DJI replace the unit in cases such as these where the issue is not pilot error and the drone is unrecoverable?
4. Do you find the Air noise bothersome to other members of the public? I may look into the MAS props that I've seen mentioned in another thread.
5. Wifi - does the Air do a good job of selecting the right channel and switching between 2.4 and 5GHz, or is this something I should set manually?
6. What do you know now that you wish you knew when you first got the Air?

Thanks guys,
G

I can't address all of your questions, but here goes:
1. ??
2. ??
3. If the Go4 flight log shows an aircraft malfunction (as opposed to pilot error or bird strike) it seems DJI has a pretty fair track record of warranty replacement; at least that's my impression from readin these forums. I believe, however, that if your bird goes down while under the control of any other software (e.g., Litchi), DJI won't accept the log file, and case closed--even if there was an aircraft malfunction.
4. Absolutely yes, the noise of the Air is very annoying to almost everyone. Very. I'd be very annoyed myself if I wasn't having so much fun flying. ? The MAS props make a noticeable and worthwhile improvement--but even so the Air is far more audible than, say, a Mavic 2.
5. ?? (Almost all my flights are miles from the nearest source of wifi interference, so the question is immaterial to me.)
6. Therein lies a book, my friend, but mostly it's been a far more interesting and engaging than I'd even expected. You're in for a treat!

Reactions: GarthH
I can't address all of your questions, but here goes:
1. ??
2. ??
3. If the Go4 flight log shows an aircraft malfunction (as opposed to pilot error or bird strike) it seems DJI has a pretty fair track record of warranty replacement; at least that's my impression from readin these forums. I believe, however, that if your bird goes down while under the control of any other software (e.g., Litchi), DJI won't accept the log file, and case closed--even if there was an aircraft malfunction.
4. Absolutely yes, the noise of the Air is very annoying to almost everyone. Very. I'd be very annoyed myself if I wasn't having so much fun flying. ? The MAS props make a noticeable and worthwhile improvement--but even so the Air is far more audible than, say, a Mavic 2.
5. ?? (Almost all my flights are miles from the nearest source of wifi interference, so the question is immaterial to me.)
6. Therein lies a book, my friend, but mostly it's been a far more interesting and engaging than I'd even expected. You're in for a treat!

Thanks for the reply. The noise was one of the reasons I considered going with an Anafi or Mavic Pro. Parrot does not offer any warranty service in Canada, the MPP was a bit out of my price range and I felt the gimbal/video improvements in the Air was worth it over the MP, especially at the cheaper price.

I. The battery should be new.
2. Treat it as a "new" drone.
3. yes.
4. Should not be flying over people.
5. Let it select its own. I have never set it manually.

I bought the mass props. They are horrible. They cut noise down only slightly and the aircraft performs very wonky with these props.

I bought the mass props. They are horrible. They cut noise down only slightly and the aircraft performs very wonky with these props.
I am quite fond of the MAS props. The sound produced is far less objectionable, and the aircraft performance is essentially the same (and perhaps a smidgen better). Any issues may be attributable to not changing the aircraft parameters in the manner MAS recommends. In any case, anyone considering the purchase has little to lose, and potentially a lot to gain. IMHO, of course.

I bought refurbished too. Before it arrived I was concerned about how loud and annoying the sound would be after reading the forums. I have had a spark and a mavic 2. I don’t mind the sound and don’t think it’s too loud now that I have been flying it . It’s a non issue for me.

I like the noise. Reminds me of a two stroke race bike I once had.

Having owned and flown multiple drones over multiple manufacturers, the Air does have one of the worst sounds associated with it. I don't know if it is the pitch or something else, but it is more annoying than other drones. Still a fun little bird, though not my fave.

The MA sounds like a swarm of bees, so I'd be more worried about animals than humans. Animals natural instinct is to move away.
On the other hand, it's nice that even at 400ft up I can still hear my MA and take some reassurance that it sounds just like it should and everything is normal.
The noise isn't really ideal for discrete or candid video/photo's because everyone just tends to look up and point! LOL. But, it
IS an amazing drone/quad/UAV.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa