DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air drifting on night landing

Dat_kiwi_78

Reactions
Hi all.

Just got my replacement Air back, and this evening i did a straight up and down flight at night. I understand the sensors are sub-optimal in dark conditions and may not work right.

When it was coming into land, thumb stick all the way down to landing position, it began to drift away to the side where it clipped a wall.

Has anyone encountered this before? I just checked the flight playback, nothing but left stick from about 20m.

As it's a refurb, I'm worried there nasty be a fault, but if this is normal.. well, night flights are out.

Cheers.

Hi all.

Just got my replacement Air back, and this evening i did a straight up and down flight at night. I understand the sensors are sub-optimal in dark conditions and may not work right.

When it was coming into land, thumb stick all the way down to landing position, it began to drift away to the side where it clipped a wall.

Has anyone encountered this before? I just checked the flight playback, nothing but left stick from about 20m.

As it's a refurb, I'm worried there nasty be a fault, but if this is normal.. well, night flights are out.

Cheers.
You don't say how much it drifted sideways ...

But ...

When flying in dark conditions you need to count in that the VPS sensors will not work ... as it's dark they can't lock on to ground pattern. This means that you don't have a horizontal position accuracy of +/-0,1m anymore ... it's +/-1,5m instead. Furthermore, if you descended down & part of the sky get's covered, you possibly lose even more accuracy due to losing sats.

A message should have shown up in GO4 about the VPS not working at take off if it was dark. It's OK to fly but you need a bit more wiggle room as you noticed ...

1590267533270.png
1590267545186.png

As a reference ...

Overcast day is around 1000 lux
A very dark & overcast day is around 100 lux
Twilight is around 10 lux
Full moon night is 0,1 lux

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online