DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air - Filters for Photography (not videography)

Antman

Reactions
Hi All

Sorry if this question has already been answered. I have recently purchased 2 drones primarily for photography purposes (not videography) .... Phantom 4 Advantage and Mavic Air. I'm new to photography and have read quite a few posts in regards to the use of filters for cinematic videography however was wanting to know if filters are equally as beneficial for photography purposes? I have read that using filters for videography causes the desired result of motion blur however as I'd be using them for photography I'd want the images as sharp as possible with no blur. Most of my drone photography will be of buildings/property and I live in a warm location (no snow but lots of sunny days and I will be taking photos of waterfront properties showing the ocean).

If beneficial any advice on ...
(1) the best brands (obviously polarpro is the most common but are there any others of similar quality at a better price?)
& (2) the best filter levels given my usages mentioned above? I'm thinking ND16/32 would be appropriate and maybe polarised?

Any advice which could be provided would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Cheers
Ant

Maybe eyesight is the first thing to go.
The filters seem to have a negative effect (2 tried) on the scenery where I live. Lots of clouds, green fields, Trees and lots of evergreens, blue skies but the sun keeps me flying away from it....many times backward just to avoid blasts of sunshine.
It is that way here in Oregon, and Ya' just never know.

Maybe eyesight is the first thing to go.
The filters seem to have a negative effect (2 tried) on the scenery where I live. Lots of clouds, green fields, Trees and lots of evergreens, blue skies but the sun keeps me flying away from it....many times backward just to avoid blasts of sunshine.
It is that way here in Oregon, and Ya' just never know.
Thank you. So you think no filter is the way to go for still photography then?

Thank you. So you think no filter is the way to go for still photography then?
I hate to say this but....it depends upon how you feel about your current photogs. Change what you don't like and work on making that your style. Sorry for not giving an 'answer'......If you like what the filters do...
use them. Polarized images gain a lot but also lose a lot. Maybe take a number of screen-shots from your bird at different light, altitude, weather and locations and see what you don't and do like.

Reactions: Antman
Yes, filters for photography with a drone aren't particularly used.
However, your best bet would be to use a UV filter for photography. Gives you some protection on the lens and also some say it will give a little more contrast in the photo.

Sometimes I will use a very light filter (ND4 or ND8) if I know that I have a shot that is going to have some sun reflections or such in the photo.

Only one you could want for very specific shots is a polarizer, but usually you're better off without any filter.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka