DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Flight Electronics

nieto

Reactions
I am impressed with the avionics of the Mavic Air. I know it varies from DJI drone to drone but I am intrigued by the MA, maybe because I am a bit techie and the MA is my first drone. Can some of you give a description of what you know about the Mavic Air design? For example, I know there is an IMU because we need to calibrate it at times. What is it and how does it work? There is also a GPS for location, electronics to control the rotor for balance and propulsion, vision sensors, etc. So, what do you all know about the MA?

Are you asking for a detailed narrative of how the FC does its job? The more specific your question, the better the chances are of it getting answered.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Calibration is something you may want to research a little. It’s not a cure all like many seem to believe. There are ways to determine if a calibration is needed. The Mavic Air has a very temperamental compass compared to other DJI products, and it will tell you when it needs a tune up.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Are you asking for a detailed narrative of how the FC does its job? The more specific your question, the better the chances are of it getting answered.
Yeah, I did ask for a lot of general information. But for example, what encompasses the IMU and how does it work? What sensors does it use to perform its functions? Also, when the term flight controller is used, what components does that include?

Yeah, I did ask for a lot of general information. But for example, what encompasses the IMU and how does it work? What sensors does it use to perform its functions? Also, when the term flight controller is used, what components does that include?
i will start you off with what a IMU does it stands for Inertial Measurement unit, it combines gyroscopes and accelerometers and is what keeps the UAV flying straight and level that is why calibration is required to give it a reference point to work off they are then stored in its memory ,there are many good publications out there that explain in great detail how a UAV flies ,and of course the internet is also very good, i think it is good to learn the basics of how your UAV stays air born ,as it helps to explain what is going on if it seems to be having a problem in flight plus it adds another level to the hobby

I do wish I could find a good book that gets into the details of the technical aspects of modern drones, with nice pictures and drawings. I see a few on Amazon but can't tell if any of them are any good (none of them look particularly promising). Anyone have any recommendations? If there's not a good one, there's probably a decent market for something like that. It wouldn't have to be DJI specific but if I were writing it I'd probably use a Mavic for illustrations since that's what most people have and it would be a selling point. I've written several books and have some publishing contacts but I don't have enough technical knowledge to do it.

the poster is savvy in science. an overall synopsis of craft principles of operation was his desired info. some is intellectual protected data.
for simplicity, the gps locks home by satellites and constantly ensures position is known during flight, the imu works in conjunction with esc and pilot interface. I believe hedgetrim or hallmark edified imu explicitly quantifies any all motions occurring from a standstill (standstill encompasses steadystate so includes zero acceleration which also includes constant velocity, does that make sense?). so imu feeds esc derived demands of what pilot desires in flight.

You can find lots of links if you search youtube for "MEMS" (Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems).

This describes how gyroscopes, acclerometers and compasses in quadcopters work.
I appreciate that. I would not have known to search for MEMS otherwise. Still, I’m more of a book kind of guy. If anyone wants to write a book let me know - I’m a pretty good writer, but I need someone to help with the technical details. Thunderdrones? We could make decent money if a publisher picks it up.

the poster is savvy in science. an overall synopsis of craft principles of operation was his desired info. some is intellectual protected data.
for simplicity, the gps locks home by satellites and constantly ensures position is known during flight, the imu works in conjunction with esc and pilot interface. I believe hedgetrim or hallmark edified imu explicitly quantifies any all motions occurring from a standstill (standstill encompasses steadystate so includes zero acceleration which also includes constant velocity, does that make sense?). so imu feeds esc derived demands of what pilot desires in flight.
This did not make much sense to me in how you wrote this. I understood some references to gps and imu but that is about it. Sorry.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S