DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Gimble Failure

Reactions
Hi, first post to this forum but have been being a nosey sod for a while so its time i contributed. Fired up my Mavic Air this morning after last flying it on Feb 13th (the weather has been appalling) and the gimble just does not work. Tried re-booting several times and when you try and re-callibrate the gimble it gets as far as 10% then just freezes. All apps are up to date and i have never crashed this drone. Its only four months old so going back to supplier for repair/replace, anyone know how long this process could take (I know there are a lot of variables)?

Whilst searching online i can see i am not alone with this issue, anyone else had this??

Cheers

Charlie

Hiya Charlie,

Welcome to the forum. I've not had this problem with my Air.

Are you getting any error messages?

If you've only had it four months it might be worth sending it back. Where did you get it from?

Hiya Charlie,

Welcome to the forum. I've not had this problem with my Air.

Are you getting any error messages?

If you've only had it four months it might be worth sending it back. Where did you get it from?

Hello mate, no error messages at all. There is some noise online about this issue with the app sticking at 10% on gimbal re-calibration. I bought it online from Curry's/PC World and they have been terrible with support. Over the phone they told me to take it to any store and they'll send it off for repair. Luckily I am close to a store only to be turned away and told to contact the DJI support crew directly to resolve the issue myself. Just learnt that the closest approved service center to the UK is in the Netherlands. Not a happy teddy!!!

Hello mate, no error messages at all. There is some noise online about this issue with the app sticking at 10% on gimbal re-calibration. I bought it online from Curry's/PC World and they have been terrible with support. Over the phone they told me to take it to any store and they'll send it off for repair. Luckily I am close to a store only to be turned away and told to contact the DJI support crew directly to resolve the issue myself. Just learnt that the closest approved service center to the UK is in the Netherlands. Not a happy teddy!!!
That’s rubbish. You’d think Currys would just swap it.
I sent a Mavic Pro for repair, and got it back within ten days, so it’s not bad. But, that was before Corona Virus mucked everything up.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Yeah, getting support/service is not going to be easy at present. I would suggest checking for obstructions (does the gimbal move freely and easily by hand?) and then refreshing the firmware through DJI Assistant and then uninstalling and re-installing GO4 on the mobile device. May not solve anything, but it is worth trying before giving up on it and sending it for repair/replacement.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Yeah, getting support/service is not going to be easy at present. I would suggest checking for obstructions (does the gimbal move freely and easily by hand?) and then refreshing the firmware through DJI Assistant and then uninstalling and re-installing GO4 on the mobile device. May not solve anything, but it is worth trying before giving up on it and sending it for repair/replacement.

Hey Doppler

Yeah, tried all manner of re-installs/reboots but no joy. There is even a video doing the rounds that advises you to fire up the drone with the gimbal cover on to resolve the issue. How can further damaging the gimbal do it any good?

I am resigned to sending it back to the Netherlands for repair. You would think there would be an approved repair center in the UK.

Cheers

Charlie

There is even a video doing the rounds that advises you to fire up the drone with the gimbal cover on to resolve the issue. How can further damaging the gimbal do it any good?
Yeah, that doesn't sound right at all. But then again, I fixed a stuck accelerometer in one of the IMUs by slapping the MA on its fron end a few times; you know like you do with old CRT TVs back in the day! I was skeptical at first but it sorted it out. So, who knows .... (no I am not suggesting you should power on the MA with the gimbal cover still on). Good luck, I really hope you will get it sorted out soon and be back on air.

So, got a brand new drone back from DJI this morning (27/03/2020). This would be incredible service even if we were not going through a global pandemic. DJI, I salute you!!

Maybe i was a little bit hasty with my praise of DJI, i don't want to sound ungrateful as the speed at which they turned this around was amazing but the brand new replacement drone will not activate so I am back to square one with a drone i cannot use at all. On the activation screen i hit the blue "activate" button then the button turns grey and it just hangs and doesnt do anything. Any pointers guys??

All said and done that is pretty tasty service given the current climate we are all in. Shipped for repair on the 18th of March and a brand new one arriving at my door on the 27th. Fair play DJI!!

Hey Doppler

There is even a video doing the rounds that advises you to fire up the drone with the gimbal cover on to resolve the issue. How can further damaging the gimbal do it any good?
I actually have a MA in my shop that replicates that behavior.. Put on the Clamp and start the drone, Gimbal & camera work as designed. Start the drone without the clamp, gimbal get's the DT's and shakes side to side. Replace the clamp, start the drone & the gimbal works perfectly! I'm replacing the gimbal tomorrow when the parts arrive.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada