DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air gimble goes mental VIDEO included.

mk1max

Reactions

so i uploaded this video to youtube on December the 19th, the day after i reinstalled the firmware which resolved all issues for a little while, now a couple of weeks later the problem has come back and reinstalling the software wont resolve the issue anymore. i am travelling around the globe at the moment and currently in bali, my next location is new zealand where i can hopfully take it to a DJI shop to have it looked at. the drone has never been flown in extreme conditions (wind/rain) and has also never been crashed, always flown in line of sight, never pushed it for distance either. the drone has now become un-flyable due to the gimble problem but is still fully operational in regards to flying, all quick shots are not working as the gimble does not move, but sometimes it works. recently i have had the drone just connected to the controller and not the phone and it works fine with the gimble.

im pretty stuck with this at the moment so any help would be brilliant as i would like to get some shots in bali before i leave.

thanks guys

Max

so i uploaded this video to youtube on December the 19th, the day after i reinstalled the firmware which resolved all issues for a little while, now a couple of weeks later the problem has come back and reinstalling the software wont resolve the issue anymore. i am travelling around the globe at the moment and currently in bali, my next location is new zealand where i can hopfully take it to a DJI shop to have it looked at. the drone has never been flown in extreme conditions (wind/rain) and has also never been crashed, always flown in line of sight, never pushed it for distance either. the drone has now become un-flyable due to the gimble problem but is still fully operational in regards to flying, all quick shots are not working as the gimble does not move, but sometimes it works. recently i have had the drone just connected to the controller and not the phone and it works fine with the gimble.

im pretty stuck with this at the moment so any help would be brilliant as i would like to get some shots in bali before i leave.

thanks guys

Max

So you mentioned that the drone works fine with the controller and not the Phone, that is the KEY right there, may be a simple solution but try restarting your phone, no more calibrating no firmware udpates, just focus on your phone as I think everything stems from that.

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor.

Just ran a quick test indoors without the controller and just to confirm the gimble did spasm out and then become useless without the phone in the controller.

I doubt you have the same issue as me, but my gimbal did act crazy like yours only after the drone crashed and spent 17 hours under water completly submerged. The lens would also show traces of condensation yet the video signal to the phone was still working. Amazing.
Needless to say the drone is now at DJI for replacement.
Since you fly a lot, maybe you could have experienced a transition from a place with a lot of moisture and condensation formed inside the gimbal??
IMG_20190107_111249.JPGIMG_20190107_111249.JPG

I doubt you have the same issue as me, but my gimbal did act crazy like yours only after the drone crashed and spent 17 hours under water completly submerged. The lens would also show traces of condensation yet the video signal to the phone was still working. Amazing.
Needless to say the drone is now at DJI for replacement.
Since you fly a lot, maybe you could have experienced a transition from a place with a lot of moisture and condensation formed inside the gimbal??
View attachment 58933View attachment 58933

This problem started in the UK maybe 3 weeks after owning it, the issue keeps coming and going. I got the condensation in the lens when I flew it in Thailand which I thought was due to the humidity maybe but surely these things should be able to fly in high humid environments. I thinking it needs to go back to DJI as well but I don’t have care refresh. Maybe they will see that it’s a faulty drone and replace it... hopefully anyway.

Cheers
Max

I fly my drone in Cambodia, pretty humid too, but no issues (until it decided to land in a river of course).
But as soon as I get a replacement, I will add a bag of rice in my suitcase just to avoid hot/cold changes of environment.

Just if this can help anybody with the same issue, I sent the drone back to DJI and it’s been repaired with a new gimbal and camera under warranty as it went defective.

Reactions: fdewarren
I sent the drone back to DJI and it’s been repaired with a new gimbal and camera under warranty as it went defective.

Just for information, how long was the process between the first report to DJI and you receiveing the drone back?

It can be a week if your quick about it, sent mine from Bali (Indonesia) to Netherlands so it’s taken a bit longer.

Last edited:
It can be a week if your quick about it

Damned not so fast with me...
From the time I opened a case to receiving the go ahead to send the drone: 1 week
Then 3 days to be delivered in Hong Kong where DJI somehow lost it until 1 week later.
Then comes the final anylysis and decision to send a new one. It's been 3 weeks since the crash and I'm still waiting...

ahhh bummer! Well it will be coming up to my second week but that’s defiantly due to me being on the other side of the world, I also have to pay for the shipping which is exspensive! Cost me £85 to send from Bali, probably gonna be about the same for me to get it back in New Zealand, god knows why they don’t have global warranty!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S