DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC AIR long exposure photography - ND1000 or 2000?

• Thread starter Deleted member 94047
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 94047

I have seen enough pictures of waterfalls and such taken with ND1000 filters to convince me that I just gotta get one. And lo and behold, there is even a ND2000 filter for the MAVIC AIR. Any one tried either of these on the AIR? Which one would you recommend that I get. And the MAVIC AIR is not exactly a tripod, so how well does it handle long exposure photography? Questions, questions, questions.

Reactions: Jon 007
I think it is definitely worth a go - ND1000 or 2000 is the question :)

Get both! Better to have them and not need them... ;)
I did a little more research, seems it is hard to get non blurry pics for exposures longer than 1". There are not that many reviews of the ND2000 and the few that had it say they did not have any occasion to use it. The ND1000 may be as slow as one can go, and even then a lot of luck is involved to get good results.

I would have thought a tripod is a necessity for long exposure photography.

Cant see it working out well using a drone but I could be wrong.

I did a little more research, seems it is hard to get non blurry pics for exposures longer than 1". There are not that many reviews of the ND2000 and the few that had it say they did not have any occasion to use it. The ND1000 may be as slow as one can go, and even then a lot of luck is involved to get good results.

I took this photo, 8” with my M2, I used the “burst” setting, 3 shots then picked the sharpest one. Don’t know if you have the same setting on the MA, worth a look but it’s definitely achievable

69C52331-1F25-413E-A173-6BD80719848C.jpeg

That is a beautiful shot Porky.

Thanks Doppler?, I just wanted to show you it definitely can be done with a drone using a long exposure. Yeah I was lucky but again that’s why I used the “burst” setting. You stand more chance of getting a sharp photo. Also the wind was very calm that evening, which helps??

I think it is definitely worth a go - ND1000 or 2000 is the question
How much light do you want to use/shut out?
With those filters you are looking at only letting 1/1000th or 1/2000th of the light through.
That's 10 or 11 stops.
If the shutter speed for proper exposure without a filter was 1/250th, a 10 stop reduction would knock that back to 4 seconds.
Those filters would only be suitable for use in fairly bright conditions.
With less light, the shutter speed required would be too slow for good results.

I am mainly interested in getting those dreamy, creamy water fall and wave pictures. So I guess I am looking for an exposure of about 1-2 seconds. It looks like the ND1000 filter is sufficently dark to do that in bright day light. I have ordered one. Thanks for the input everyone!

I could see 4seconds working at night, but with day light all the reviews I have seen on YT say one second or two is about as much as you can hope for and even with that you are bound to have some movement either from the drone itself or your background (often tree branches and such). But yeah, persistence and taking the same shot multiple times seems to be the key. Can't wait till I get the nd1000 filter and try. I have never tried long exposure photography even on a conventional camera on a tripod, this would be quite a learning experience!

1 to 2 seconds is normally good to get that dreamy look on shots of waterfalls or crashing waves, longer than that can look washed out.
So ignore my last post and give it a go on a very still day, hope it works out for you.

I have seen enough pictures of waterfalls and such taken with ND1000 filters to convince me that I just gotta get one. And lo and behold, there is even a ND2000 filter for the MAVIC AIR. Any one tried either of these on the AIR? Which one would you recommend that I get. And the MAVIC AIR is not exactly a tripod, so how well does it handle long exposure photography? Questions, questions, questions.
I have an inexpensive ND 1000 for my Air. This is a shot that I took on Sunday with it. It was a very overcast day at noon time. I can't remember the exact shutter speed as I was trying many different speeds that day. But I think this was around 1.5 seconds or so. I know that this is far from a spectacular photo, but LE is something that I'm learning and practicing to get better.Big Machias LE TD.jpg

I have an inexpensive ND 1000 for my Air. This is a shot that I took on Sunday with it. It was a very overcast day at noon time. I can't remember the exact shutter speed as I was trying many different speeds that day. But I think this was around 1.5 seconds or so. I know that this is far from a spectacular photo, but LE is something that I'm learning and practicing to get better.View attachment 70600
Thanks for sharing. That still looks better than a regular boring photo of a stream and some trees. I am really looking forward to experimenting with this long exposure stuff.

Reactions: kjcbid54
Where do you get the ND 1000 ? Thanks.
I ordered my off of Amazon, it was a 2 pack with an ND 64. Sorry I cannot remember the brand or how much I paid, but it was one of the cheaper ones that I could find. If you're serious about this, I would maybe look into Polar Pro. I hear that they are very good quality and you can order directly from their website.

I ordered the one by Freewell, cost me about 20 Euros. I have a few of their filters for the mavic air and I have been satisfied with them so far. Polar pro are a bit on the pricey end for me, at least for now as I am just experimenting.

Reactions: kjcbid54
So, I have had this ND1000 filter for more than four months and I haven't had a single occasion to put it to use. There is one spectacular waterfall on the Blue Nile about 30 miles further from where I live but I am not going to go there anytime soon. Plus, it is the rainy season for the next two more months and it just isn't fun trekking in the mud and rain. So today, I decided to give the ND1000 filter a test on anything - anything at all. What I found was a small stream with barely a current. I was determined to test it anyway. The result is the following. The subject matter is not the least bit interesting or appealing, but I am happy with some of the pictures. I might go waterfall hunting one of these days after all. LE trials 19.JPGND1000_03.JPGND1000_06.JPG

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54