Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air On hold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moiled

Reactions
Hi all,

I have been reading posts etc and checking prices to get a good deal on a Mavic Air. Today i received alarming news in an email from one of the main DJI dealers in the UK as i had asked about stock. They tell me "At the current moment, DJI has discontinued the Mavic Air indefinitely and this is due to the new Mavic Mini being the drone to replace it."

I presume this is news to you guys as i have not seen anything to back this up.

Now i am more confused than ever as, having made my mind up i want to buy a Mavic air, do i wait in case of a better deal when the mini is released and/or black friday or do i scramble around to buy a mavic air whilst they are still in stock in some places.

I am not thinking the mavic mini is a drone i would want as i imagine it would be too small/light to cope with winds etc.

any thoughts on this welcome

Now i am more confused than ever as, having made my mind up i want to buy a Mavic air, do i wait in case of a better deal when the mini is released and/or black friday or do i scramble around to buy a mavic air whilst they are still in stock in some places.

any thoughts on this welcome
IMHO . . . the Mavic Air is a proven winner, a solid drone. That pretty much should sway you where you (obviously) want to go. They will not get cheaper.

Mavic Mini has 4K/60FPS with 3 Axis Gimbyl. Best of both worlds, Better/improved controller and battery life......

Win Win...

Reactions: moiled
Mavic Mini has 4K/60FPS with 3 Axis Gimbyl. Best of both worlds, Better/improved controller and battery life......

Win Win...
Doesn't the MM have a 2S battery? How can it ha e better battery life than the MA? I am also skeptical about the 4K/60FPS claim, even the M2P doesn't do that.

On topic, if DJI has indeed stopped production of the MA, there will inevitably be a clearance sale t some point, probably just before the MM comes out. Also, if you can afford it, the M2P is a far better investment than the Air. I have the Air, while it is a fantastic little drone, there have been a few times when I wished it flew a little longer, a little further, or had a better camera. For stills, the MA's camera is just mediocre.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: moiled
I am trying to purchase a second drone.
I already own a mp2. I am looking at the mavic air or the spark. Which do you prefer

I just purchased the Air Fly More package and added one battery and its great for travel, the drone 4 batteries and charger all fit in the small case which easily packs in my carry on bag. There is always buyers remorse when the next gen product comes out. As a photographer, I love my Sony a7iii but now dream about the a7Riv. I guess you have to decide, fly a great bird now or wait to buy the Mini. In the case of my Sony, the next gen is a huge leap so it’s a gotta have item :) But it does not seem the Mini is that big of a leap over the Air and as you said, you already have another drone for the more advanced stuff that the Air or Mini might not be able to do.

Reactions: ShawnWhite
Standard Arctic White is still available on DJI's site for US. The other colors are out of stock though.

I have owned the Mavic Air for 1.5 years and still feel that it is an amazing device. I fly with someone who has the M2P.

1. When it comes to portability for backpacking I would buy my Mavic Air again in a heartbeat. It is incredibly small and light. Perhaps the new version would be smaller and lighter.

2. When it comes to flying a long Litchi mission I would choose the M2P for the longer battery performance and the more robust data/video link. It also is much quieter for close up operation such as group videos (the sound of the MA scares my 3 yr old grandson). It also has camera features that surpass my Mavic Air.

Only you know what sort of drone flying you will be doing. That should help you decide to wait for a smaller and lighter or go to a more robust product. If you wait and MA becomes unavailable from DJI, I am betting that there will be many enthusiasts selling their current MA to get the latest offering in that category.

Thanks you all
My decision is made

likewise thanks all for advice - i am still undecided. I almost wonder now whether to go with the mini when it comes out and wait to see if a rumoured mavic pro 3 appears in the new year

I like the idea of waiting for the mini to have a lot of bugs fixed.

Going back to my original post, do you guys think DJI are planning to discontinue the Air? I am no expert but from my thinking the only reason i can think of is - is the Air is maybe taking sales away from the Mavic Pro 2 which people like me would be keen on if the Air was not around. Could it be they want to really differentiate their market here between the Mini and the MP2 by discontinuing the Air? I appreciate there is no confirmed info for the Mini but from the little i have seen, it seems to me to be a budget Air albeit with a better battery life and getting below the general weight limit for registering a drone?

Great tips from everyone above, thanks, I am leaning heavily towards the Air but the one post that is shouting at me is the one from Doppler "For stills, the MA's camera is just mediocre". If I buy an Air it will be with the flymore combo as i would be looking to have 3 or 4 batteries. However, i will be looking to use it for photos as much as for video. I do waste way too much time as it is with Adobe Photoshop etc adjusting photos but they are for my own enjoyment not anywhere close to pro level - from what i read the Air shoots in RAW as this is a must have for me. On the other hand the Air seems much more portable than the MP2 and i deffo subscribe to, the best camera is the one you have with you, theory.

I reckon if i buy the air, i will get a good few years out of it before needing, rather than wanting, to upgrade it.

Win Win...
I have seen from many reports and YouTubers as well that the Camera on the Mini will in fact not be 4K but instead a 3 axis 2.7K one in stead. Whether this holds true or not I don’t know. DJI is the master of misinformation to keep us interested in them. Guess we shall see.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Apart from what was published with the FCC Filing documentation, everything else about the Mavic Mini is speculation - or so I have been led to believe. Or did the people who have been leaking the specifications actually obtain reliable DJI Insider information?

One thing that worries me about it in terms of features is how much tech can be squeezed into a thing that will weigh less than 250 grams. People who want a drone with a great camera capable of 4K video and decent battery life might well be disappointed in the Mavic Mini.

In any case, if you are mulling over a purchasing decision, it would make a lot of sense to wait another week to see what DJI release on 30th October. The big question is how many Mavic Airs remain in dealer stock rooms if, in fact, DJI has stopped producing this model.

I would be surprised if the mm has a better camera. To improve the camera in the bigger drones, DJI has gone to a bigger, heavier sensor. Is isn’t clear what sensor the mini has or could carry.

I think I'd buy a second Air over a mini. The air takes great video and you can work wonders in post op on the single photo's .

Reactions: KJack
I have owned the Mavic Air for 1.5 years and still feel that it is an amazing device. I fly with someone who has the M2P.

1. When it comes to portability for backpacking I would buy my Mavic Air again in a heartbeat. It is incredibly small and light. Perhaps the new version would be smaller and lighter.

2. When it comes to flying a long Litchi mission I would choose the M2P for the longer battery performance and the more robust data/video link. It also is much quieter for close up operation such as group videos (the sound of the MA scares my 3 yr old grandson). It also has camera features that surpass my Mavic Air.

Only you know what sort of drone flying you will be doing. That should help you decide to wait for a smaller and lighter or go to a more robust product. If you wait and MA becomes unavailable from DJI, I am betting that there will be many enthusiasts selling their current MA to get the latest offering in that category.
Thank you. This pretty much summarizes my opinions on the UAS options. I went with the MA and while I don’t regret it I would love an M2P for the better range and camera abilities. I originally bought a M2P but returned it after doing more research. My big issue was the smaller size and wanting something capable of backpacking. If I can afford the M3 or whatever it is, I’ll buy it.
EDIT: I talked my friend into getting an M2P. Aside from the fact that he is a several hundred millionaire he was considering the Mavic Air and I told him the M2P was probably better for his project.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder