DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air original still a viable option in 2021?

CraigVMN

Reactions
Greetings

My first post here. I've been thinking about getting into a drone for some time, but before diving in, I'm hoping for some insights and advice. I've been looking at a number of different options, such as the offerings from Hubsan (Zino 2 Pro plus) Fimi (X8 SE 2020), a few other brands and the offerings from DJI. Importance of my consideration is:

Camera quality
Flyability
Apps & features
Durability
Support
Availability of consumables, such as props, battery etc.

My history with R/C started with ground based vehicles. Several years ago I pieced together a quadcopter from a DJI flame wheel. I picked the motors, props, ESC's, flight controller & battery. I have to calibrate and program everything up through my laptop, and got pretty good at flying it around, so I do have experience and stick time.

I really like the idea of a flying platform for video & stills. I've viewed a lot of Youtube reviews and footage on a good many drones, and DJI has always stood out. I like the obstacle avoidance feature offered in some of their models. In an ideal world I would just buy the Air 2 FMC and be done. However, even used it's priced too far out of my budget. The apps offer a great deal of automation, but I know manual input will be necessary as well. In consideration of the Hubsan & Fimi (and other) models, is the original Mavic Air still a good option now in August 2021? I know there are the Mini models, but I'm looking for something with OA and better stability in wind.

Thanks in advance for any insights :)

I was a newbie (just like you) about a year ago when a more experience flyer (and friend) told me: just get the DJI MA2.
Long story short: I have never regretted my decision, and can see/hope this drone will last another 2-3 years.

I was a newbie (just like you) about a year ago when a more experience flyer (and friend) told me: just get the DJI MA2.
Long story short: I have never regretted my decision, and can see/hope this drone will last another 2-3 years.
I appreciate that, but my budget does not allow for that flyer.

Well ... everything is relative & it's also much depending on what you want to get out of your "flying photo platform".

I have a MA1 & can't actually complain about anything ... it's according to my expectations & not even the M2P can satisfy my actual needs for low light still photo which is my main interest.

The shorter fly time compared I've solved by having more batteries. The "only" enhanced WiFi connectivity have never bothered me ... I know that I can fly out 4km LOS with it ... but never do. It can generate good enough stills which work for A3 printouts if not cropped too much. Film occasionally just for fun ... in 4K, but rarely use it for serious purpose later. I would rank the camera capability as a mobile phone camera. Drone tech wise it have all I can wish for + wind resistance.

Have had it for 2,5 years now & can't say that it have disappointed me ... but will not upgrade until something much, much better comes out from DJI low light still photo wise. Over the years I've found that I'm mostly amused by the "Flying" itself ... so have steered over more to FPV quad flying the last year & a half.

Would gladly still recommend the MA1 in 2021 if it wasn't for one thing ... the batteries (and it's sadly the same for the MP & MPP). Nearly impossible to source them nowadays, I have 5 batteries on use of which 2 are nearly new ... then 3 more new still in hibernation waiting to step in if the oldest needs to be retired... so I can have it in the air for a while before it will be obsolete due to lack of batteries.

If I was in your shoes today ... I wouldn't go cheaper than the Mini2.

Thank you @slup I've viewed a good amount of footage from the MA1 and it compares as well, if not better than that of the offerings from other companies, such as Hubsan & Fimi. I'm aware of the limitations and how the footage compares to current offerings from DJI, and it's still plenty good for what I'm wanting from a flyer.

Reactions: slup
The best choice is the Air 2 , You can get a used one with a little time and effort be up and running .
The Air 2 was our favorite drone for quite awhile and we captured some amazing prints and video with it.

You can also find some members time to time selling there's on the Forum which offers a more credible sale.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and land on the Water.

My budget is $400 USD. I can get a used Mavic Air FMC for that amount of money. If someone knows where I can get a used Mavic Air 2 FMC for that price, please let me know. Otherwise...that's why I'm inquiring about the MA1
With all respect, my advice is wait.
You get what you pay for, and what you get for $400 will not perform (too light, poor camera, etc.).

A resounding YES ! The issue could be batteries but they are still being produced, a new 2021 batch became available in Europe earlier this year for instance.

The MA1 still had the edge for certain use cases too, yes THE edge over any current offering :
- can be controlled from a smartphone (and not a HUGE and HEAVY) remote like the Mini 2) so with its small size I can fit it in my small frame case on my road bike. The only other drone on the market that could do that is the Fimi X8 Mini but its software is lacking (no 360 spheres for instance)
- has a very handy and efficient Smart Gesture mode for easy tracking and you can take 3 selfies in a jiffy
- is fully compatible with Litchi (tracking, circles, waypoints, etc...)

The only slight niggle is that I find that it doesn't produce as good 360 spheres as my old Spark that took 40 pictures instead of 26. There are some alignement issues I never used to have.

Greetings

My first post here. I've been thinking about getting into a drone for some time, but before diving in, I'm hoping for some insights and advice.
I think, if you don't need low light filming, you would be very happy with a mav air 2. Strong, fast, great flight time, stable, wind resistant, etc etc.

The original Mavic Air just wasn’t all that reliable. It’s also tiny and extremely loud. I’d look at an original Mavic Pro instead.
Been investigating flight incident involving most of the DJI models for years now ... can't really share your picture regarding the inferior reliability. The vast majority of incidents originate from pilot errors due to ignorance & I have seen equal amounts of craft electronics hardware failures from the MA1 as from other crafts. Build quality wise the MA1 actually was/is much sturdier than the latest models from DJI today which are rather flimsy in order to save weight.

The MP & MPP is when it comes to reliability really on par with the MA1 ... but it have been much more problems with the MP/MPP gimbals due to the delicate design & unprotected position.

When it comes to "tiny" ... well that is only an advantage, this as the MA1 fight winds equal well as the MP/MPP's ... & also are a tad faster. The MA1 portability hugely outperforms the MP/MPP's.

The MA1 is loud in comparison ... couldn't agree more. But with that said, how much drawback that is depends, zipping around in close quarters near buildings/people ... definitely a disadvantage compared to actually all other DJI models. But if this type of flying isn't what you mostly do ... (I don't), it can be managed.

But as I said earlier ... the main thing with both the MA1, MP & MPP is the lack of batteries on the market.

Like I posted yesterday new batches of MA1 batteries were produced and sold in 2021 so while it may/will become an issue down the road it isn't right now.

Noise, yeah they're loud, a bit less with MAS props, but no drone is silent and will be heard at a distance so it's not really going to be a factor IRL.

If I didn't need the features currently unique to the MA1 I detailed in my previous messages I'd probably get a Mini 2. Hopefully the Mini 3 will offer direct smartphone control.

I am still flying my MA quite happily. It is very small and easy to travel with both domestically and internationally. It’s small size is often perceived as a toy, and less threatening that my P3 and P4 to bystanders. For all travel it is my go-to drone.

Additionally, the API for it exists, so it works well with Litchi and other 3rd party software.

The smaller sensor is of lower quality than the newer 1 in sensors, but the images from it are fine for most purposes. As in still photography, the best camera is always the one you have with you. Fine expensive cameras don’t make great pictures and video - they are produced by fine photographers.

Like I posted yesterday new batches of MA1 batteries were produced and sold in 2021 so while it may/will become an issue down the road it isn't right now...
Mmm ... yeah, but that hardly satisfies the needs I think. Just made a Google search & it's nearly empty regarding MA1 batteries, could only find it on the international Amazon site to a really hefty price, especially when adding on the cost to get it to Sweden.

It's a totally different story for the MA2 ...

****!!! I just sold my house 3 days ago and had to get rid of stuff quickly as the date to vacate changed to a week early. I had a brand new/unused Mavic Pro fly more package with new white goggles in a all inclusive case. Sold it all for $400. I feel bad reading that someone really interested in flying needing one and me giving it away to a neighbor that I really disliked. (He also bought my whole house generator, lol.) I did keep my Mavic Pro 2 with the new goggles for the catamaran, but have to learn how to fly on water. Sorry and good luck.

I have a couple Sparks a Mavic Air and a Mavic Air 2. I sadly neglect the Sparks but I can't bring myself to sell them because I know they are worth more than they would sell for. The Mavic Air 2 is a sensational flying drone and It has several video functions that greatly reduce the skill required for smooth videos. It has a much improve RC in my opinion than either the Spark or the Air. Which one do I fly most...The Mavic Air 1. I don't know why I just do. It has a greatly reduced battery life but I don't really like just boring holes in the sky and just like to get out and get back. I never fly much longer that 12 to 15 minutes.
The Air One is very stout and is a beast in the wind. All drones are too noisy and the 1 is up there with the noisiest. fly quietly!

Reactions: 4006448
Yeah, the stealth drone doesn't exist yet ;-)

What are the video functions on the MA2 that you're referring to for smoother videos ?

Do you do 360 spheres ? That's my one disappointment with the MA1 compared to the Spark, wit the reduced number of shots they generally don't assemble as well with ICE. Maybe I should use Litchi that lets you choose how many pictures you want to take I think.

Been investigating flight incident involving most of the DJI models for years now ... can't really share your picture regarding the inferior reliability. The vast majority of incidents originate from pilot errors due to ignorance & I have seen equal amounts of craft electronics hardware failures from the MA1 as from other crafts. Build quality wise the MA1 actually was/is much sturdier than the latest models from DJI today which are rather flimsy in order to save weight.

The MP & MPP is when it comes to reliability really on par with the MA1 ... but it have been much more problems with the MP/MPP gimbals due to the delicate design & unprotected position.

When it comes to "tiny" ... well that is only an advantage, this as the MA1 fight winds equal well as the MP/MPP's ... & also are a tad faster. The MA1 portability hugely outperforms the MP/MPP's.

The MA1 is loud in comparison ... couldn't agree more. But with that said, how much drawback that is depends, zipping around in close quarters near buildings/people ... definitely a disadvantage compared to actually all other DJI models. But if this type of flying isn't what you mostly do ... (I don't), it can be managed.

But as I said earlier ... the main thing with both the MA1, MP & MPP is the lack of batteries on the market.
The MA1 has only one IMU and compass so no redundant back up where as the MP and MPP have redundant back ups. Never in my history keeping up with DJI products were there ever so many problems reported with the IMU and compass system than with the MA1. I personally witnessed a brand new MA1 fall out of the sky about 200 feet to the ground and maybe that’s a small sample size issue but it made an impression on me.

Also the WiFi connection with the drone is terrible. Having connection issues has to the single most frustrating thing with flying a drone and can easily turn something fun into a chore.

For me the MA1 is too small. It feels like flying a toy…

I think it’s telling that the airframe of the Mavic Air was thrown away after the first generation. Really the Mavic Pro, Mavic Pro Platinum, Mavic 2, Mavic Air 2, and Mavic Air 2s are all built on the same basic airframe design as the original Mavic Pro because it was so good. Yes they have made upgrades to the gimbal since the original and the Mavic 2 is slightly larger but they stuck with the design that worked.

Those are just my observations and experience with it. Take it for what it’s worth,

Reactions: maggior and NAVMAV

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura