DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC AIR PHOTOS BAD QUALITY

Tylerjw8809

Reactions
Hey everyone,
The Mavic Air is my first drone and I really love it! The videos are coming out great no real problem there but the photos are coming out very pixilated.
I had the photo settings to jpeg + Raw but have just changed it to Raw. Any idea or tips on how to make the photos not look so pixelated.

Hey everyone,
The Mavic Air is my first drone and I really love it! The videos are coming out great no real problem there but the photos are coming out very pixilated.
I had the photo settings to jpeg + Raw but have just changed it to Raw. Any idea or tips on how to make the photos not look so pixelated.
Raw is designed to be heavily processed after the image is captured, try using a different format.

Reactions: Tylerjw8809
Hey everyone,

JPEG is the only setting you should use unless you know how to use RAW in post. There are a lot of YouTube videos on this subject.

Searched "Taking Stills on Mavic Air"

My Results

Reactions: Tylerjw8809
You're right they are bad. It's a 1 2/3rd 12mp sensor. Any photo not taken in broad daylight is going to be noisier than a nickleback concert. No amount of RAW can fix that.

Op can you put up a picture so we can see?

Reactions: ghost
DNG includes a low res thumbnail embedded in it for fast frame identification. I don't know what software you use to process the raw with, but if you are just using a default image viewer on a computer without something that can process the raws installed, it's likely just showing this embedded thumbnail.

I also have this issue with the Mavic Air... No matter what format RAW or JPEG the picture is really pixilated...
Please help ! I don't want to screenshot video just to get a picture.
I have attached a picture so you guys can see...

Thanks

Attachments

• screen_e2d856f8ceadf3cd_1520790914000.jpg
    screen_e2d856f8ceadf3cd_1520790914000.jpg
    674 KB · Views: 282
I also have this issue with the Mavic Air... No matter what format RAW or JPEG the picture is really pixilated...
Please help ! I don't want to screenshot video just to get a picture.
I have attached a picture so you guys can see...

Thanks
That's a pretty low resolution image. Are you getting the image file directly from the SD card?

That's a pretty low resolution image. Are you getting the image file directly from the SD card?

Yes I put the SD card in a USB C adapter for my phone then transferred the files... Also just to double check I put the card directly into my laptop...same result.
The video quality is brilliant. Just still images have the issue :(
Thanks

I am also having some difficulty in producing a sharp image out of the MA so far. I've used the settings recommended by The Film Poets (0, -3, -2) and I shoot in raw, but the images aren't all that impressive.

Using LR in post, I find that there isn't much to work with and the slightest adjustment has a big negative impact on the image. I am quite familiar with editing photos and have been an amateur photographer for a couple of years using a mirrorless camera, so I am not comparing full frame sensor or anything and expecting miracles our of the tiny sensor on the air.

Video on the other hand is immaculate, the IQ is fantastic.

I do not believe you are looking at the full-resolution image. A 12 MP image should produce a larger file size than 674 KB. My MP stills were very pixilated and then I found that the default viewing program for my tablet was showing the thumbnail image.

Reactions: cfrecall
The image you uploaded was a jpeg, not a DNG. You can see that from the file suffix alone but looking in more detail it is a 960x720 72 pixels/inch jpeg.

I just googled the image size from the MA, it should be 4056×3040 or 4056×2280.

Either you are looking at the thumbnail or you have your settings to export a small jpeg.

Reactions: cfrecall
Thanks guys I finally figured it out.... It was the thumbnail.

On an android phone I was sharing the image to a photo editing software. Which just imports the thumbnail.

This time I opened the editor app and important the photo... This worked and my image was so much clearer as it should be.

Appreciate the help. Sorry for being so daft!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots