DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air QuickShots and Obstacle Avoidance Disabled

rlively

Reactions
I just contacted DJI support concerning taking QuickShots with the Mavic Air. Much to my surprise I learned that Obstacle Avoidance is disabled while in any of the QuickShot Modes. I'm glad I learned this before I set out in areas that would have resulted in an unwanted crash. My idea was to choose my house as the subject and shoot both a Boomerang Video and a Circle Video. The trees close to my house would not have been avoided according to DJI Support. Have any other Mavic Air owners had experience with this or recommend the safest method. I wanted to do a roof inspection of my house. Perhaps doing it manually is the safest way.
I actually got very good footage of the roof and chimney manually with no crashes.

Thanks

Ron

I just contacted DJI support concerning taking QuickShots with the Mavic Air. Much to my surprise I learned that Obstacle Avoidance is disabled while in any of the QuickShot Modes. I'm glad I learned this before I set out in areas that would have resulted in an unwanted crash. My idea was to choose my house as the subject and shoot both a Boomerang Video and a Circle Video. The trees close to my house would not have been avoided according to DJI Support. Have any other Mavic Air owners had experience with this or recommend the safest method. I wanted to do a roof inspection of my house. Perhaps doing it manually is the safest way.
I actually got very good footage of the roof and chimney manually with no crashes.

Thanks

Ron
Funny you should bring this up. I just watched an Air crash on this video for exactly what you're talking about:

The crash is at 6:08.

Funny you should bring this up. I just watched an Air crash on this video for exactly what you're talking about:

The crash is at 6:08.

I agree that DJI should not include an auto fly feature with no avoidance systems on the side.
So happy I caught this ahead of time. Also DJI was not very clear about that feature. No where did I read " Caution! Obstacle Avoidance is Disable in QuickShot Mode". I sense many unnecessary crashes ahead for the newbie pilot! Thanks for the video and so glad you learned this up front!

Yep, I found out the hard way! Yesterday I was attempting to do a quickshot and boom right into the side of the house. Gimbal broke along with the antennas for the front legs. Sending to @ThunderDrone for repair.

Reactions: hkRyan
Yep, I found out the hard way! Yesterday I was attempting to do a quickshot and boom right into the side of the house. Gimbal broke along with the antennas for the front legs. Sending to @ThunderDrone for repair.

Sorry this happened! A most dangerous feature if one assumes the drone takes care of all avoidance issues. Maybe in the next model, side detection will be included!

read the manual, it's sayed there that be careful.

From manual.

"QuickShots are only available when the GPS signal is strong.
When using QuickShots, the aircraft cannot avoid obstacles automatically. Only use QuickShots
in wide open areas."

Pause is your help.
You are right! I did read that in the manual but would have liked stronger language concerning actual 'disabling of obstacle avoidance'

Thanks!

Reactions: OdieHD
There is no detection at all in Quickshot mode.
Yep and so glad I called DJI before trying this.
I just fear too many newbie pilots are going to get caught up in the excitement of flying and have an early crash in what otherwise is a very clever feature when all goes well!

Reactions: hkRyan
It tells u before u hit quickshots to male sure u have sufficient room! Also pause button is your friend...remember that some of the quickshots will move from the side so u have no side avoidance anyway....just be careful and have common sense

Reactions: Kankkis
You are right! I did read that in the manual but would have liked stronger language concerning actual 'disabling of obstacle avoidance'

Thanks!
The aircraft cannot avoid obstacles automatically,.
That’s pretty clear for English. Not sure if the other languages are as clear.

Reactions: Kankkis
Yeah, I really think that should be stated a bit more strongly. It isn't mentioned at all in the official DJI quickshot "how to" videos.

Reactions: rlively
Lost mine to a beach tree. Made the mistake of assuming the sticks would override the Quickshot program. Watched in a panic as the drone very slowly collided with a 4 foot high tree and fell into the sand and was totaled.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu