DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air range question

Andreas77

Reactions
Hello Mavic Air owners!

I'm currently in China and just crashed my Mavic Pro, so I need a new drone asap, and I'm considering the Mavic Air since it's convenient for traveling. I have a tendency of flying out of sight to see what's on the other side of the hill, but never further than 2000 m (~6500 ft). I will mainly use it to film nature and mountainous areas.

My question is: how does being out of sight and behind obstacles (i.e hills) affect the signal/reception of the Mavic Air? Is there any significant difference in signal strength compared to Mavic Pro's Ocusync other than the range difference (7 km vs 4 km)?

Would appreciate any help!

If it's like the Spark, not good behind obstacles. I suspect it is, since spec says "Enhance Wifi". My Spark's video gets fuzzy just flying behind a tree. Then again, my Mavic video transmission can drop out flying almost behind a bunch of trees. I don't think you should be flying behind obstacles, if you understand how video transmission works. How did you crash your Mavic Pro?

If it's like the Spark, not good behind obstacles. I suspect it is, since spec says "Enhance Wifi". My Spark's video gets fuzzy just flying behind a tree. Then again, my Mavic video transmission can drop out flying almost behind a bunch of trees. I don't think you should be flying behind obstacles, if you understand how video transmission works. How did you crash your Mavic Pro?
I crashed it into an "Avatar mountain" (picture) in zhangjiajie while flying sideways. Flying the Mavic Pro behind these "obstacles" (mountains) did however not cause a problem to the video transmission or signal strength. Would that be the case with Mavic air?

Attachments

• IMG_20180314_134918.jpg
    IMG_20180314_134918.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 280
I crashed it into an "Avatar mountain" (picture) in zhangjiajie while flying sideways. Flying the Mavic Pro behind these "obstacles" (mountains) did however not cause a problem to the video transmission or signal strength. Would that be the case with Mavic air?
I don't have experience with MA. I don't even dare fly my MP behind obstacles (like in the photos you attached, very nice btw).

I would not recommend an Air for that use case.
I don't have experience with MA. I don't even dare fly my MP behind obstacles (like in the photos you attached, very nice btw).

Okay, let's say I'm walking up a mountain filled with trees. If I want to fly the drone far above to get a good panoramic view, would the trees be a significant disturbance to the reception?

would the trees be a significant disturbance to the reception?
Everything what physically blocks a direct LOS between RC and AC has more ore less impact on the connection quality. No matter if that's Ocusync from the MP or Enhanced WiFi from MA.

If you wish to have more penetration through the trees, mount an amplified antenna to your RC.

Reactions: Drone Master
Of course both are affected, but the MP much less so (plus the link is so much better in the first place that it's less likely to be an issue).

Last edited:
Reactions: MarceloLi
Thats a awesome pic!

The mavic air is really the spark pro: A deluxe selfie camera. Range is not it's Forte...

Wow. Impressive shot

The mavic air is really the spark pro: A deluxe selfie camera.
I can't agree at all with this flippant characterization. Do you have one?

I've got both (as many others here), have been flying the MP for a wide range of uses and missions (including disconnected Litchi shoots) since it came out.

The MA is my go to drone now instead of the MP for most uses because the camera is significantly better. Also, having rear OA is extremely helpful when concentrating on the photography -- it's saved my but a few times in a forest.

Unfortunately, DJI has chosen for product positioning reasons to cripple the software functionality in the MA, so I have to use the MP for things like waypoint missions. Also, I really really need Course Lock on the MA. However, those are artificially imposed limitations -- I expect these features to be added after the MP2 is on the market for a while.
Range is not it's Forte...
Very true.

If a major reason you're getting a Mavic is to fly far out of LOS (not criticizing it), the MA is a poor choice. However, that's not what it was designed for, so complaining about it seems a bit misplaced.

i fly both, mostly in urban areas. i personally like the air more but i have no choice other than to use the pro more due to often signal loss with the air. sometimes the air would have solid signal but it could lose signal at thar same exact spot on another day/time so it’s not as reliable as the pro. that’s just my experience but some people don’t seem to be affected. if you’re always flying out of sight, i wouldn’t recommend the air especially in ce regions (unless you force fcc mode)

This guy mmoguls .. . Range is fantastic on my mavic air...

Reactions: BearMan54
that is pretty spectacular.

The mavic air is really the spark pro: A deluxe selfie camera. Range is not it's Forte...

Like others have said you have no idea what your talking about. Im in the top 5 range leader board for the Air, and I'm convinced after my tests that the Air uses the EXACT same transmission technology as the pro. They just couldn't call it ocusync since thats would kill pro sales, so just called it "enhanced wifi" instead. The only limiting factor for the Air is its smaller battery, otherwise I'm pretty sure it could reach the 7km range of the Pro.

Reactions: BearMan54
You can get good results, the thing is that it's not consistent like the Pro is.
I've used both of mine in a number of different places and conditions, the Pro is consistently perfect while the Air's performance will vary and sometimes get very frustrating.

I totally agree with Kilrah, the AIR is nice but just if you have it in a close range and with out any building or tree in between.

Reactions: Aww@Mavic
interesting to see most of the replies here that say the Air is no good or cannot do this or that is by people who have never flown one or own one lol.
i have the P3A and P4 and the Air.The Air has better signal range in tests ive carried out then my P3A whilst in FCC mode and so far has matched my phantom 4 ..its that good i no longer use either anymore cos the AIr has a better camera and much more advanced anti collision ,,its actually ideal for 2k+ out of sight flying (ive had 5km from mine still with full controls mind you) because if it actually does lose signal it will climb up a wall or cliff face during RTH ....whats not to like lol

Last edited:
Reactions: cyzerman
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun