DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air range test

tooting37

Reactions
Hi.
Does any drone pilots know the best place in the UK Sth East to do a range test ??

I try the Sth Downs last week ( jack&jill windmills nr brighton ) but got no joy
Had interference almost at the start of flying my drone ?? Best I had was 400m distance and that was changing wi-if channels ( 2.4 to 5.8 and back GHz ) Had more joy near my home in nth London ( 600m ) Need somewhere where it safe and have no or little inference.
Thank you . Steve , London

Can't advice you about any area unfortunately, but just want to give you a heads up regarding the FFC mode hack which will give you much higher transmission wattage compared to the CE mode you have there in UK.

It's really easy to do & nothing of it is irreversible ... have done it on my MA & it's like night & day compared to CE.

Mainly you fake your mobile device GPS position to US with a free GPS spoofer app installed ... Once the MA connects to the RC with the mobile device it will sense US location & ask you if you want to change the WiFi settings, there you hit OK & then power all down. When this is done you can deactivate the spoofed GPS location in the mobile device (even uninstall the app). The next time you connect the MA the same question comes up regarding changing WiFi settings (as it wants to revert back to CE settings as you're in UK) you then just click Cancel & the FCC setting remains. This you will have to do every time you connect the MA ... not a big hassle for what you get in terms of connection stability & range increase. Bear in mind that when you perform this hack with the GPS spoofer app you should keep the MA out of GPS coverage ... do it indoors will usually work perfectly.

Here you have several YouTube clips that explain the procedure --> https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fcc+hack+mavic+air

Hi

thank you very much for your info
I have iPhone 11 max so can I do this on my phone ?? And what the best GPS spoofer for iPhone ? all this on YouTube for android phones .. !!

steve , London. UK

Hi

thank you very much for your info
I have iPhone 11 max so can I do this on my phone ?? And what the best GPS spoofer for iPhone ? all this on YouTube for android phones .. !!

steve , London. UK
You can't do it on an iPhone ... couldn't in the past anyway, iOS doesn't allow GPS spoofing. But it will work if you have the possibility to borrow an Android, install DJI GO4 & log in with your account & then a fake GPS app of your choice from Google Play store ... do the hack, then uninstall everything from it & leave it back. After that, just remember to always push the "Cancel"-button when you fly with your iPhone ... otherwise you have to borrow it again ;)

Thank you for info ..

Most of my family & friends have iPhones
So will purchase a cheap android phone for this .. thank you again

steve , London UK

Hi again

I borrow a android phone , so download DJI Go 4 App and a Fake GPS App. Going by your instructions can’t seen to get the FCC ?
looking at YouTube need to do something on the settings on the fake GPS App on delvopment ?? Or some sought ? Also on the DJi go 4 app on this android phone have no image from my Mavic drone ? Everything else is working fine even the green ready to go .
Steve . London UK

Hi again

I borrow a android phone , so download DJI Go 4 App and a Fake GPS App. Going by your instructions can’t seen to get the FCC ?
looking at YouTube need to do something on the settings on the fake GPS App on delvopment ?? Or some sought ? Also on the DJi go 4 app on this android phone have no image from my Mavic drone ? Everything else is working fine even the green ready to go .
Steve . London UK
Can't help you with making your borrowed android phone working unfortunately ... it shouldn't be any more than installing the GO4 app on it, in the app log in with your credentials, plug it in with the correct usb cable & start up the RC.

You don't have to pair your RC to the MA & such just because you have switched the viewing screen ... I suspect that the usb connection isn't correct, either the usb cable, the usb port on the phone or your RC is creating the problem.

Take a good quality cable with a usb-a in one end (the big full size usb plug) & plug that in ... not on the left side on the RC but instead under where you have the phone attached in the RC ... & leave the left side micro-usb empty. Then plug the correct usb into the phone (micro usb or usb-c ... don't know what that phone uses). See too that the borrowed phone works & you can use it with GO4 connected with the MA, otherwise you will not be able to do the hack.

When everything works as it should it's time to prepare the phone to be able to use a fake GPS app ...

You need to tell the Android system which app that you allow to spoof the position. You do that by first making the "Developer options" section visible in the settings (it's hidden by default). Follow the instructions in the clips there. Once visible open it and find the correct sub menu & specify the already installed fake GPS app.

Then you should be good to go & do the rest ... your main problem right now I believe, is that the phone isn't connected to the RC due to usb (ports or cable) problems.

Thank you .. think your right USA cable . Need to buy correct one .. just one thing you said need to tell the android which app to spook the position .. is that on the android phone setting ? Or on the GPS App settings ( there settings on the App ) Or both ? Once again thank you for time and input. Steve .

.. is that on the android phone setting ? Or on the GPS App settings ( there settings on the App ) Or both ?
It's entirely in the phones own settings ... Android will not allow a app to fake it's GPS position unless you give just that app permission to do it. This setting is within the Developer options menu which is under the phone settings. This menu is hidden by default but can easily be made visual ... & in there, in a sub menu you can tell Android which fake GPS app you use/give permission. YT is full of short clips regarding this ... just search for "android developer option fake gps" or something similar & you will see how it's done.

Hi Again

just to say I done the switch from Europe to FCC mode .. thank you for your help

just one other I notice .. I get not many satellite on this FCC mode going from 7 to 9 even tho I get all clear to fly ‘ Ready to go ( GPS ) Green ( on Auto ) as the European normally in double digets Or change WiFi mode to manually find the best band Steve , London. UK

Hi Again

just to say I done the switch from Europe to FCC mode .. thank you for your help

just one other I notice .. I get not many satellite on this FCC mode going from 7 to 9 even tho I get all clear to fly ‘ Ready to go ( GPS ) Green ( on Auto ) as the European normally in double digets Or change WiFi mode to manually find the best band Steve , London. UK
FCC/CE mode have absolutely nothing to do with the GPS reception ... this FCC hack only affect the transmission/receiving WiFi power ...

1607775372850.png

This hack give exactly the same change as if you took your MA in a suitcase & traveled to US ...& started it up there, you should there have been asked exactly the same in GO4 about switching WiFi settings as now when you have tricked GO4 thinking you're there.

*EDIT*

Also ... make sure that you only see 11 channels in the 2,4GHz area after finished the hack as below ... then you have activated FCC

1607776591215.png

If you see 13 channels ... then you've failed in some of the steps & are still in CE mode.

1607776659782.png

Last edited:
Cheers

yes I have just only 11 channels on the 2.4
Now just waiting for a clear windless day to try out the Mavic air on the FCC

Also worth remembering that FCC mod is illegal and so is flying outside VLOS (under old regs, 500m)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka