DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air rapid take off and rapid come back with the crash

PiotrekKa

Reactions
Hi All, I'm writing here with hope you can share some light on what's going on as didn't learn anything from DJI response to my question. I had similar situation already twice, let me describe it below.
I did manual take off, then drone rapidly fly approx 10m high hang for a while and come back crashing on the ground. During the whole time drone is not reacting to any attempts to control it. First time it happened in the mountains and now when starting from the building, makes me think it might be somehow related with altitude. Hopefully nothing than propellers got demaged, but I'm little afraid now to start a drone when other people are anywhere around.

Looks like a faulty IMU. It takes off and climbs because the FC is getting spurious data indicating that it is rapidly descending, and so it applies motor thrust to try to compensate. Then the error reverses, causing it to descend:

Climb.png

This one will need the mobile device DAT file ending FLY072.DAT in order to look at the raw sensor and IMU data.

@sar104 : Is there any way to get a picture like that with a local app on win10? I don't want to use airdata.
Thanks a lot.

Then go on and install CsvView on your PC.
Many thanks for the link. That's a very interestring post.
I have instaled it, but - unfortunately - it doesn't work. After starting CsvView i get a message that tells me, a 64-Bit Java is neccessary. That leads me to a webside where I can download the required Java version. I'm sure, all at my PC is on newest version. But anyway, I've downloadet and installed it. But no change. So after uninstall both I installed at first Java and then CsvView again. But again, the Java is missing and I always come to the Java webside. It is not possible to get CsvView to run.
Is there any trick to fix that?

Many thanks for the link. That's a very interestring post.
I have instaled it, but - unfortunately - it doesn't work. After starting CsvView i get a message that tells me, a 64-Bit Java is neccessary. That leads me to a webside where I can download the required Java version. I'm sure, all at my PC is on newest version. But anyway, I've downloadet and installed it. But no change. So after uninstall both I installed at first Java and then CsvView again. But again, the Java is missing and I always come to the Java webside. It is not possible to get CsvView to run.
Is there any trick to fix that?
Try this. Start a command line interpreter and enter
java -version

Here is what I get when I do this.
1586439111556.png

Reactions: MrSpok
Try this.
I did:
"Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18362.720]
(c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

C:\Users\xx>java -version
java version "1.8.0_241"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_241-b07)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.241-b07, mixed mode)

C:\Users\xx>"

There is nothing about 32/64-Bit.
I saw, you have Win 6.x, my Win is 10. Can this be the reason?

There is nothing about 32/64-Bit.
You have only the 32bit version installed.
It should display this:

java version "1.8.0_241"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_241-b07)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.241-b07, mixed mode)

Install the 64bit version manually from the link given in post #10

Looks like a faulty IMU. It takes off and climbs because the FC is getting spurious data indicating that it is rapidly descending, and so it applies motor thrust to try to compensate. Then the error reverses, causing it to descend:

View attachment 98247

This one will need the mobile device DAT file ending FLY072.DAT in order to look at the raw sensor and IMU data.
I have downloaded dat file using DJI assistant, the file is from that day. It's quite large so here is the link

Yeah ... a faulty IMU for sure. A lot of messages in the DAT indicating various IMU related errors ...

1586464861781.png

Height readings in the TXT vs. DAT is also very different ..?

TXT:
1586465050290.png

DAT:
1586465068830.png

Reactions: Thomas B
It seems I overcomplicated it, please see attached.

Both IMUs looks wrong, but the active IMU, which was IMU1 (red dashed line), was very wrong - it went down, leading the FC to try to correct, which ended up as the climb that the barometer, IMU0 and the GPS module detected:

imu.png

Looking at the IMU and GPS vertical velocities:

imu_gps_velD.png

IMU1 shows spurious downward (+ve) IMU1 vertical velocity (green), leading to actual upward (-ve) velocity (red and black). Integrating with respect to time:

imu_gps_velD_int.png

It's clear from these data that IMU1 is in bad shape, but IMU0 is also underestimating vertical motion.

Reactions: Thomas B
@Keule , @BudWalker
many thanks to you for your support. Now it works. :)Thumbswayup
When a software leads me to a webside it is supposed to be the correct webside. Unfortunately this was not the case.
Anyway, I will explore the app the next days.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User