DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air return to home issue

Springerdog1

Reactions
I am a new user of the Mavic Air. Before I takeoff I always set the return to home point. When I do push the return to home button the Air comes back towards the point and usually lands about 5 to 10 meters away from the point. Why is this happening when there is no loss of signal?

It depends how far it is from you when you push the button. Check the manual for the different RTH scenarios.

That should be good then. Honestly, I have never used RTH on either of my DJI drones. I fly them back home. I have noticed that once i take off my Air asks if i want to set a precision home spot. Have you seen that?

That should be good then. Honestly, I have never used RTH on either of my DJI drones. I fly them back home. I have noticed that once i take off my Air asks if i want to set a precision home spot. Have you seen that?
I haven't seen that prompt. I am still keeping the Air within my line of vision. Every once in awhile when sun is glaring in my eyes it seems like a great way to get back Air to the home point.

Thats only if u use the app to launch....he might be using csc stick command to takeoff (both sticks down and in) in that case he won't see the Precision home spot setting. What you have to do then is just rise up slowly till about 22 ft so it can scan underneath... there has to be something that will be easy for frone to distinguish like a landing pad .( this is doing it manually)..all launching with app does is make precision landing function launch up to the 22 ft or 23 ft mark automatically by itself

Why are you setting the home point? It does that automatically, and that may be the cause of your issues. Whenever you start it, you should hear it state that the home point was set.

I have never heard it state that the home point was established. So I have been going in and setting it manually. I usually take off using the CSC stick command. I will give it another try tomorrow afternoon and report back in. So all I have to really do is takeoff and let the app do the work? I usually take off from my patio which is tan brick like pavers.

I have never heard it state that the home point was established. So I have been going in and setting it manually. I usually take off using the CSC stick command. I will give it another try tomorrow afternoon and report back in. So all I have to really do is takeoff and let the app do the work? I usually take off from my patio which is tan brick like pavers.

You should not have to set the home point, not unless you're moving from your original position. Next time you take off, fly 60 feet away and hit the RTH and see if it comes back to the point of takeoff. Also, wait for the green to appear on the status bar, showing the GPS is locked. If you just set it down and take off, you're going to have issues.

Last edited:
U have to wait for sarellites then it should say homepoint is set....i see whats happening now.... you probably start flying too early and then while in the air somewhere in the vicinity it establishes a home point

Also yes you can take off the CSC way or take off through the app...that doesnt matter and is irrelevant to homepoint that is just a way to take off .... but yes the app and aircraft should establish a home point really you should wait until you hear it say that it has. It should do it before you take off

Mine did the same thing the other day,as I never use return to home on any of my drones,I tested it out it over shot me and the home point by 20 to 30 feet.

If your drone is overshooting by that large of a margin, you're probably doing something wrong. Even my old P3S would land within 3 feet of its starting point, and that was a very dumb drone. The Mavic lands within inches of where it took off from, and I'd be disappointed with a distance of 3 feet away, let along 20-30 feet.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
If your drone is overshooting by that large of a margin, you're probably doing something wrong. Even my old P3S would land within 3 feet of its starting point, and that was a very dumb drone. The Mavic lands within inches of where it took off from, and I'd be disappointed with a distance of 3 feet away, let along 20-30 feet.
I've been flying a long time,never has this happened before on my p3,mavic pro or spark and I seem not to be the only one

I think the problem is your home point is getting established when you are 30 or 40 50 feet away.... you did say you didn't hear the home point was set upon takeoff correct? So maybe it's set in the air for example let's say it's set hp 40 feet away from where you were standing this is why you are thinking GPS is way off but really it set at 40 ft away and landed where it was supposed to

Agreed. As said before, let it sit until you get more satellites and a home point set message.

I will give it another try tomorrow afternoon and report back in.
If the same thing happens, check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

I used the app to take off for the first time yesterday, off my slightly inclined driveway. Flew out a little bit, and then did RTH to show my youngest how it worked. It started to land, and then a message popped up indicating the landing surface was unsuitable. And it was right over the spot it took off from. I cancelled the RTH and landed it there manually, which was fine by me. I was impressed, I like how it erred on the side of caution.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zantuna