DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Strange Take-off

Amarand

Reactions
Problem? Pressed auto-take-off, rotors start and stay low. No warnings, no take-off.

Was unit in a crash?
No

What have you tried so far? Turning off motors, and taking off again. Second and subsequent take-off fine.

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? iPhone with MA RC

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? Latest (always current before taking off)

What Go app version are you using? 4.3.20

Any modification?
Landing gear.

Did you change anything or install any apps? No.

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? No.

I've had this issue happen a few times with the MA, and it's weird. I just power off the rotors, and then do another auto-take-off.

Flight logs: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

(Thanks!)

Too close to airport
Problem? Pressed auto-take-off, rotors start and stay low. No warnings, no take-off.

Was unit in a crash?
No

What have you tried so far? Turning off motors, and taking off again. Second and subsequent take-off fine.

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? iPhone with MA RC

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? Latest (always current before taking off)

What Go app version are you using? 4.3.20

Any modification?
Landing gear.

Did you change anything or install any apps? No.

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? No.

I've had this issue happen a few times with the MA, and it's weird. I just power off the rotors, and then do another auto-take-off.

Flight logs: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

(Thanks!)

Too close to airport

I'm well outside of the range of any towered airports.

I usually have to accept the "you're too close to the airport" dialogue, but it never popped this time. And there has never been a time when the pop-up has stopped a take-off.

In fact, it annoyingly often prompts me a few seconds after I've taken off.

* Turn on RC, turn on MA
* Wait until green light is single-flash GPS and GPS shows on screen.
* Voice says "the home point has been updated, please check..."
* Then I take off.
* THEN it prompts me that I'm close to an airport. (In class-G airspace. Confirmed the last time I spoke with the FAA inspector a few weeks ago about another issue.)

Also, I just flew my 200th flight, and out of 200 flights, I've had that happen three or four times. Whereas the airport warning happens every flight - annoyingly.

Last edited:
You could apply for clearance via the FAA’s DroneZone for non-LAANC airports. Takes at least a couple of days, maybe longer, for FAA clearance, but it’s good for 30 days, renewable, and they will email reminders to renew. You can specify a fairly large area... on one app I requested 4 square miles. The staff is very helpful also. They will ask you for Latitude and longitude coordinates, but you can send a screen shot of a map and they’ll help you with that. Just another way to go and promote safe skies while you avoid flying illegally.

The problem is, I’m firmly in Class G airspace. Zero restrictions. I don’t really know why DJI Go seems to think that I’m in restricted airspace, and my home/takeoff point is always accurate.

6772b1baa6ffa42e40e67e2b2ca74142.jpg

Am I missing something? Is it proximity to the untowered airport?

The problem is, I’m firmly in Class G airspace. Zero restrictions. I don’t really know why DJI Go seems to think that I’m in restricted airspace, and my home/takeoff point is always accurate.

6772b1baa6ffa42e40e67e2b2ca74142.jpg

Am I missing something? Is it proximity to the untowered airport?

72a83fbdc229693a692cc3d30061caae.jpg
47b0a0c72eeb9229211ae033fdfe9e55.jpg

You could apply for clearance via the FAA’s DroneZone for non-LAANC airports. Takes at least a couple of days, maybe longer, for FAA clearance, but it’s good for 30 days, renewable, and they will email reminders to renew. You can specify a fairly large area... on one app I requested 4 square miles. The staff is very helpful also. They will ask you for Latitude and longitude coordinates, but you can send a screen shot of a map and they’ll help you with that. Just another way to go and promote safe skies while you avoid flying illegally.

I shared the sectional chart. Am I missing something...?

I shared the sectional chart. Am I missing something...?
Through FAA DroneZone you can get clearance in the controlled airspace around airports for up to a month at a time and can get it for large (several square mile) areas

Through FAA DroneZone you can get clearance in the controlled airspace around airports for up to a month at a time and can get it for large (several square mile) areas

Does it appear that I'm taking off in controlled airspace? Given the blue dot in the sectional chart above?

See, to me (and I'm new to this), it looks like I'm near an untowered airport with limited hours:

I don't think you need any clearance to fly in that airspace, do you?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11