DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Tablets

horesham

Reactions
Hi
I want to use a tablet to fly my Mavic Air but as I understand, my Nexus 7 (2nd Gen), despite being ok with my Spark, will not be suitable for my Air (right or wrong ?) - Assuming it's right, what budget Android is in general use ?

Many thanks

I want to use a tablet to fly my Mavic Air but as I understand, my Nexus 7 (2nd Gen), despite being ok with my Spark, will not be suitable for my Air (right or wrong ?) - Assuming it's right, what budget Android is in general use ?
It doesn't matter which drone you use, the tablet only has to deal with the app.
The Nexus 7 is past its prime nowdays and the app these days needs a tablet with higher performance.

I'm using an LG G-pad 8.0 with my Air, it's a few years old, but runs DJI Go 4 without any issues. I'd imagine virtually any tablet produced in the last couple of years would work fine. There's a list somewhere here with devices that have been used and are recommended, I can't find the link right now though. If I remember, Lenovo and Huawei tablets both work well.

Here you go

iOS V4.3.12
Requires iOS 10.0.0 or later (Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom requires iOS 10.0.2 or later).
Compatible with iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone SE, iPad Pro, iPad, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 4.
Optimized for iPhone X.

Android V4.3.14
Requires Android 5.0 or later.
Compatible with Samsung S9+, Samsung S9, Samsung S8+, Samsung S7, Samsung S7 Edge, Samsung S6, Samsung S6 Edge, Samsung Note 8, Huawei P20 Pro, Huawei P20, Huawei P10 Plus, Huawei P10, Huawei Mate 10 Pro, Huawei Mate 10, Huawei Mate 9 Pro, Huawei Mate 9, Huawei Mate 8, Honor 10, Honor 9, Vivo X20, Vivo X9, OPPO Find X, OPPO R15, OPPO R11, Mi Mix 2S, Mi Mix 2, Mi 8, Mi 6, Redmi Note 5, Google Pixel 2XL, OnePlus 6, OnePlus 5T.

*Support for additional devices available as testing and development continues.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information - when I'm using a tablet, can I connect it directly to the USB port on the controller ?

Thanks for the information - when I'm using a tablet, can I connect it directly to the USB port on the controller ?
Yes, the bottom port is preferable. FWIW, i have a 2013 Nexus 7 that works fine with my Mavic Air. I DID root it and flashed it with a 6.01 Slim ROM with the Nano-sized GApps and the ElementalX kernel. I only have DJIGo4, Litchi, and Airmap installed on the tablet, but I have pretty smooth operation using the Nexus. DM me if you'd like any particulars on how to set up your Nexus for dedicated use with your Mavic Air.

Just hearing about a family member who has an Ipad Mini 2 which he is considering selling - any good for me with the Mavic Air ?

I want to use a tablet to fly my Mavic Air but as I understand, my Nexus 7 (2nd Gen), despite being ok with my Spark, will not be suitable for my Air (right or wrong ?)
Since both drones use DJI GO 4, you'll be just as happy when flying the Mavic Air if you're happy with the performance while flying your Spark now.

Just hearing about a family member who has an Ipad Mini 2 which he is considering selling - any good for me with the Mavic Air ?
The iPad mini 2 came out back in 2013 and has an A7 processor.
It won't run the app properly.
You require an A8 processor or better.
In the iPad mini that means an iPad mini 4 or 5.

Reactions: NAVMAV
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada