DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Teardown

I guess I’m technically a Mavic Pilot now with a Mavic Air, my first DJI product that came with a warranty. The rest came “for parts” or “crashed” on eBay and Craigslist. I’ve resurrected a couple P2’s, a P4, was waiting for someone to dump a damaged P4/Mavic Pro at a steal, but then Mavic Air dropped. It hit the sweet spot between capability and ability (to toss in a carry on bag).

Point being, I've spent way more time looking at the guts of DJI products than actually flying them. This teardown was enough to scratch an itch, stop me from spudging at plastic just to see what's under the hood. Glad I didn't though, even the RC Geeks stopped halfway, didn't go full teardown. The Mavic Air is packed tight with soldered wires, Jenga style fittings, and an impossibly tiny gimbal.

But now I do kinda want to see what's inside that gimbal...

Last edited:
How to access the screws that remove top plastic shell?
Can't find any visible screws around camera gimbal

Reactions: yakou
How to access the screws that remove top plastic shell?
Can't find any visible screws around camera gimbal

Just took mine down to try and repair my gimbal

My screw had sortoff blueish goey plastic stuff on the screw heads (probably so they can see that you haven't messed with it when you take it for repairs) just push your small phillips screwdriver in it (it's really soft stuff sorta of jelly like) and unscrew

The picture that is under the text "With the trim removed and the screws out, you can pull the exoskeleton off to reveal the inside of the aircraft." makes the exoskeleton look like an exotic sports car!

Reactions: BMW Z4
yes that video is nice shame that i don't understand a word of german but it a good visual help to avoid breaking something unexpected

Reactions: BearMan54
Thanks for the teardown. It is always interesting, to me, to see the complexity of technology involved. Saves me from my old childhood habit, of opening it up to see what's inside.

Thanks for the teardown. It is always interesting, to me, to see the complexity of technology involved. Saves me from my old childhood habit, of opening it up to see what's inside.

Yeah, that was my childhood except there were always parts left over when I put it back together and it no longer worked.

Searching how to properly change my ESC board, I also found these. The Coptertec one mentioned before (#6) is definitely a must.

DJI Mavic Air esc change :

My DJI Mavic Air - Fix Down of Water - Revive or sacrifice ?

Error Processor Chip Overheated, Tutorial Membuka Dji Mavic Air Dan Mengatasi Overheated Chip :

For those who've done it, any tips or warnings to share before proceding, thanks ?

Last edited:
Do you think there is room inside to install a tiny GPS tracker? Maybe those cheap trackers found in kids watch.

Where is center of inertia?
Here, can implant payload minimal.
But need exterior hatch for access (voiding warranty alteration)

There are 2 screws left and right side. they are covered with black glue. Not necessarily required to install them but I still do. Guy in above video has just torn the shell off. Here the proper way. In German but probably the best tear down video so far. Changes my arms , gimble etc following the instruction..

There are 2 screws left and right side. they are covered with black glue. Not necessarily required to install them but I still do. Guy in above video has just torn the shell off. Here the proper way. In German but probably the best tear down video so far. Changes my arms , gimble etc following the instruction..
No, my Mavic Air did not had the screws either, I just removed and replaced the shell with no tools just like the guy in the video, with only a card.

I live in South Africa.
We have a huge problem with dust in our area, and having landed my brand new MA on grass (did not have another option, I was wondering if it is a good idea to open the drone after lest say 6 months to clean out the fan.
I have seen many a laptop pass my desk (as well as PC’s) that were so clogged with dust that the systems overheated like noting and after a few minutes as well.

I still have 12 months of warranty on my drone, but after that... open it of leave it?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica