DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air turns (yaws) by itself - no indicated stick input in logs

Maviac

Reactions
Another poster just mentioned what I think is the same problem I’ve discovered today (his topic was “turns on itself” but I think based on his description he means the same yaw issue I’ve seen). Sorry for the long post but as discussed below, I’m unable to post the logs for a while so I wanted to give as much detail as possible.

Summary for those who don’t want to read my overly long post:

Mavic Air spontaneously yaws to right, fairly slowly, but consistently, during first 30 seconds of flight. And then it never happens again during flight. Video confirms this yaw (although slow, definitely noticeable) and DJIGo4 in-app log confirms there was no stick input (left stick, to the right, in Mode 2 would be expected) while this was happening. Mavic is in good shape, never crashed, 15 hrs, pilot is 107 With around 50 hours and not a crackpot (not that those are mutually exclusive; pilot may be a crackpot because they rarely self-report).

Full story:

Today, after experiencing a different anomaly early this morning that was probably just a fluke that maybe I’ll post about at some point (lost “video transmission” per notice but no control either and flight log showed it ending at 60 feet AGL; it slowly descended and I was able to run over and catch it then tilted it to shut down, in the middle of nowhere with no possible signal interference) (seems like it should have done a failsafe RTH and returned at current altitude instead) I took my MA up in the middle of a big field to see if I could replicate the issue (running the battery down to 30%, same area with no humans for several miles who could be causing interference, and same altitude and distance).

That problem didn’t happen again, but on takeoff, I noticed the aircraft yawing to the right, fairly slowly, but consistently, for about the first 30 seconds of flight (after noticed it, I let go of the control stick to see if maybe I was unintentionally pushing right on the left stick (in Mode 2). I continued seeing this behavior, and switched on video to make sure I wasn’t just experiencing vertigo or something. Video afterward confirmed it was turning on its own, so I checked the logs in DJIGo4 to see if it showed any stick inputs during this time, and from the time I let go of the sticks, there was no indicated input, even though the video confirmed it kept yawing right. It was slow, and maybe amounted to 10 degrees. It also stopped after 30 or so seconds into flight. I hovered during that flight to try to replicate the issue but never saw it again. I made a point to go back to the same place at the same altitude to see if maybe it was the wind, but never saw it again (it appears to be pretty still today, based on trees at about the height where this happened).

A few weeks ago, I noticed during two flights on the same day that it did a quick yaw of a maybe 3-5 degrees to the right about 5-10 feet agl. These were sudden jerks, not slow like today, and I chalked it up to wind or maybe just some quirk in the ESC or whatever module (like today, the logs from those flights showed no right input from the left stick). Otherwise the drone has flown fine (aside from the transmission issue today, which was about 10 flights after these prior yaw issues).

Anyway, it has me a bit worried maybe there is a motor issue. Shouldn’t the IMU/GPS/ESC systems be able to hold a heading even if there are motor issues? What has me more concerned is that the front-right motor seems a lot “looser” than the other 3: if I turn it by hand the natural resistance and “stops” as I turn it is a lot less than the other 3.

I know the answer is going to be to upload the logs, and I’ll do that when able (and will also try to do another video better correlated to the log time that I can post), but I’m in an area of extremely low internet access and will be for at least another week. So I’m curious if my hypothesis about that motor maybe being problematic is an issue anyone can comment on. I am going to do some more flights to try to replicate this tomorrow.

Possibly pertinent facts:

1) This MA is pretty new and has about 15 hours on it (replacing one with about 20-30 more that DJI replaced under warranty due to a gimbal issue earlier this year. So, not so old and never crashed, no rough landings, or any anomalies other than those mentioned above. It’s been treated extremely well.

2) During all events discussed I’ve been running MAS Stealth props with gain settings at MAS’s recommendations (I wanted to test with stock props but realized I left them at home; will do that when able). I’ve been Using these since March or April and the V2 version since May or June, whenever they came out, with no issues (other than the “motor current” issues with the original version, which I used for about 2 months). Used stock props maybe 1 month but never again.

3) DJIGo4 on iPhone 11 Pro on iOS 13.3.1

4) I do have one of those magnetic Micro USB-AB plugs in the controller for charging, but use the bottom data port for the phone, and initially thought that was the possible problem (though I’ve used that for 11 months and this problem only cropped up in the past 3 weeks, and only really acutely today). But agin, if magnetic interference was causing the issue, I’d have expected to see stick inputs in logs, and I don’t (unless the logs show more minute inputs than does the DJIGo log reviewer, which is possible; as noted, they yaw is pretty slow).

5) At the beginning of the flight where this occurred, north was confirmed through my phone’s compass and the aircraft was precisely aligned and confirmed in DJIGo (and it correlated to what I knew was north but I wanted to make sure it was precise since I wanted a perfect flight to try to replicate the prior issue). Compass was calibrated per app’s demand earlier in the day in the same spot. Otherwise I’ve done no calibrations as I’ve been trying to troubleshoot before doing that.

6) Aircraft is under DJI Care+ warranty so I’m hoping not to have to return it but the feeling I have is the right front motor may be on its way out.

Thanks!

PS: and yes, again, I’ll upload logs as soon as I can because I know this will allow more precise opinions.

Last edited:
As said in another post, try a controller calibration. When you go into it you can see immediately if there are any inputs with sticks centered. My MPP did the same with magnetic charge adapter. Recalibrate the sticks. Quick and easy.
I was getting 3% right yaw input before cal.

As said in another post, try a controller calibration. When you go into it you can see immediately if there are any inputs with sticks centered. My MPP did the same with magnetic charge adapter. Recalibrate the sticks. Quick and easy.
Yeah, going to try that if I can replicate the issue. I’m just curious, if that is the issue, why no stick inputs show up in the logs while it was yawing. I suppose the logs could be based on the TX it receives, which might reflect interference, even if the RC doesn’t indicate a stick input? Maybe?

Anyway, I’m planning to work more on this tomorrow.

I haven’t explored what you question, I just know it fixed mine.
I’ll let you know. I just want to make sure it’s a real issue before I “go-a-calibratin’,” as Grandma Maviac used to say. And fortunately I have loads of space to do it and a warranty to cover me if something goes wrong so I’m up for experimenting (especially because I’m worried it’s a motor issue and I want to get it fixed/replaced if so before I need it for real work soon).

I do have the same issue with my MA. Not on every flight, maybe 65% or so, but about 20 to 30 seconds after take of, it makes a sudden yaw, in my case turning left, without any action. Until now, I had no problems with controling the drone, for the moment, I take it as a hickup caused by the feeling of flying again (my drone has a personality!), and live with it.

Reactions: hiflyer201
mine will briefly yaw (usually left) like it has a small amount of rudder trim... but only for 5 seconds or so...

I have the occasional yaw correction still in the jerk/twitch fashion. Currently running MAS props with advised MAS gain settings.

Previously it was the slow yaw "effect", contacted DJI and they replaced my RC - however I was able to confirm in logs that there was an input from the yaw stick although I was not physically touching the stick, so faulty hall sensor or similar in the controller.

Try a short flight using just your phone/tablet and the OSD "sticks". This may help to rule out if it's your AC really yawing itself, or the RC sending phantom inputs.

The MA's slight yawing immediately after take off is a widely discussed issue in this forum. Many including myself experience this every now and then and there seems to be no obvious explanation as to why it occurs. Since it lasts a mere few seconds to half a minute and corrects itself, I have made my peace with it. I did have a more pronounced and somewhat violent yawing once which I thought was a compass error, I posted about it and it proved to be not a compass error but there was no obvious explanation.
That post is here
The MA is just quirky.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had this issue myself. My Air drifted quite a bit when I first got it. I was able to correct some of the drifting via sensor calibration...but the yaw issue still bugs me. I can fly straight out in front of me, and then straight back, and the drone will be 30 feet to my side due to the yaw issue.

It's minorly annoying, but I'll live with it.

Have this issue with my MA also from time to time ... have noticed that the drone triangle on the GO4 map very often is slight (approx 30 degrees? off to the left before start, no matter of were I try to launch & how many compass calibrations I do.

At manual start with throttle the MA slightly yaws to the left while ascending ... stop & yaw back and forth a couple times & it behaves after that. Also the drone triangle on the GO4 map are then correct.

Happened again the other day during a Precision AutoTakeOff ... repeated my manually yawing & it behaved as usual.

@sar104 ... what does your trained eyes see here coming from the DAT file?

Yaw issue during AutoTakeoff.jpg

Attachments

• 20-01-05-12-33-11_FLY069.DAT
    5.3 MB · Views: 4
I experience this as well. Only for 5 to 10 secs after take off and it's very slight movement, then it comes right. Doesnt bother me at all but seeing how so many Mavic Air's are effected it must be a bug

Have this issue with my MA also from time to time ... have noticed that the drone triangle on the GO4 map very often is slight (approx 30 degrees? off to the left before start, no matter of were I try to launch & how many compass calibrations I do.

At manual start with throttle the MA slightly yaws to the left while ascending ... stop & yaw back and forth a couple times & it behaves after that. Also the drone triangle on the GO4 map are then correct.

Happened again the other day during a Precision AutoTakeOff ... repeated my manually yawing & it behaved as usual.

@sar104 ... what does your trained eyes see here coming from the DAT file?

View attachment 90272

The rotation is real - it's detected by both the magnetometers and the rate gyros. The cause is unclear though, although it may be related to compass interference from the current flow to the motors:

Graph0.png

Reactions: hiflyer201 and slup
The rotation is real - it's detected by both the magnetometers and the rate gyros. The cause is unclear though, although it may be related to compass interference from the current flow to the motors:

View attachment 90338
@sar104 , yeah... this is also what I suspect as Yaw + magYaw agrees very fine until the engines start up. The disagreement looks to be around 30 degrees which correlates to how much I think I see it rotate once airborne.

Any theory over why the disagreement becomes smaller when Yawing manually once this rotation have occurred? Also related to the manual Yawing exercise both directions are that the drone symbol on the GO4 map start to point correctly compered to reality ... before engine start, take off & the whole way over to this funny rotation, the symbol isn't 100% to reality ... it's off by again those approx 30 degrees.

Any theory over why the disagreement becomes smaller when Yawing manually once this rotation have occurred?
It is also my experience that manually rotating the AC corrects the uncomanded yaw. I have done it so many times now that it has become a habitual part of my take off routine - take off to about 6m, hover for a few seconds, rotate, hover and then climb up to desired height. Awaiting any explanations as to why this seemingly widespread glitch in the MA exists.

I was having the same issue a couple months ago. I recalibrated the controls several times to no avail. I contacted DJI and sent my controller to them and they replaced it free of charge. No problem since then.

I was having the same issue a couple months ago. I recalibrated the controls several times to no avail. I contacted DJI and sent my controller to them and they replaced it free of charge. No problem since then.
Certainly an unintended yaw movement can occur both from a faulty or uncalibrated RC ... but in my case this happened during an auto take off & the logged anomaly were a disagreement between Yaw & magYaw coming from a spiking magMod created by raised ampdraw when the engines started (see chart in post #11). This reason is somewhat built in into the design for the MA, but it's a border line issue as it just happens sometimes ... hence the large number of comments about this here & on other forums.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ