DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC AIR WEAK TRANSMISSION, DISCONNECT ISSUE!

JBSP

Reactions
OK, so I am a Mavic Pro, Spark, Solo and Karma owner so have some experience with Quads & issues for that matter --lol

Last week I received my AIR and of course, PUMPED! weather not great so didn't attempt to fly other than in my front yard just to test out.
Did all the updates and got it off the ground no problem. flew for a couple minutes then got a WEAK TRANSMISSION warning on the screen, then its disconnected from RC and landed safely on its own. It was odd but didn't think too much about. Decided I'd go to the park when weather permitted---WHICH WAS TODAY! So again checked for updates, headed to park and got off the ground with no issue. Then after a minute, WEAK SIGNAL, DISCONNECT and self-landed. I decided to try my phone instead of iPad and used the factory cable with IPX.
This time I flew up about 30 ft, hovered for a bit, then tried then flew a few minutes and boom, WEAK TRANSMISSION, DISCONNECT, self-land.

I then went into settings to check the wireless signals. Noticed lots of weak bands so I put into custom and picked a band that said was strong. Took off and got about 5 minutes in no prob then went up to 375 ft. to test range and it repeated the WEAK SIGNAL, LOST, RETURN.

Anyone hearing of this problem with other AIRS? Not seeing in a post?

THX IN ADVANCE!

dumb question - did you raise the antennas, turn them 90 and align them vertically? They should look like two popsicle sticks standing up and facing the drone.

YES, but here is an update after talking to DJI. They told me to use DJI Assist INSTEAD of DJIGO to update the firmware so I did a REFRESH from DJI Assist. Just had a successful 10 minute flight going up to 300ft high and about 300 ft away with no transmission issues. So hoping problem fixed but will put it to more of a test tomorrow at the park!

Also owner of mavic pro and now mavic air and i also have more or less the same bad experience as you.
Mavic pro range was incredible and now with air image is terrible after going as far as 100m and then disconnects almost immediately.
Tried manual wifi settings both 2.4 and 5.8 but with no luck.
I get a heavy interference message which i do not get with the mavic pro at the same location so i assume they do not work at the same frequencies.
Tried the air also at open space far away from buildings and antennas and it goes much further but with frequent image transmission issues.
Will try to update with dji assistant also to see if any difference

Also owner of mavic pro and now mavic air and i also have more or less the same bad experience as you.
Mavic pro range was incredible and now with air image is terrible after going as far as 100m and then disconnects almost immediately.
Tried manual wifi settings both 2.4 and 5.8 but with no luck.
I get a heavy interference message which i do not get with the mavic pro at the same location so i assume they do not work at the same frequencies.
Tried the air also at open space far away from buildings and antennas and it goes much further but with frequent image transmission issues.
Will try to update with dji assistant also to see if any difference

The MA uses wifi, which is the reason for this. The MP uses Ocusync that allows you to go so much further without any issues. The MA is not capable of the distance the MP is. I cannot get more than 1000ft from my RC without total disconnect and image loss. I found a video last night of me flying my MP roughly 3.5 miles from my house over a shopping center.

The MA uses wifi, which is the reason for this. The MP uses Ocusync that allows you to go so much further without any issues. The MA is not capable of the distance the MP is. I cannot get more than 1000ft from my RC without total disconnect and image loss. I found a video last night of me flying my MP roughly 3.5 miles from my house over a shopping center.

Yep the range difference is shocking but i was expecting that.
What i did not expect was the video transmission to degrade at such a short distance... better keep my mp just in case!

Do you see any logic in what dji suggested : to update via the dji assistant and not the go app?

Yep the range difference is shocking but i was expecting that.
What i did not expect was the video transmission to degrade at such a short distance... better keep my mp just in case!

Do you see any logic in what dji suggested : to update via the dji assistant and not the go app?

I wasn't expecting it either and quite frankly I should have waiting to see what the MP2 is all about. The size of this and its abilities is the reason I bit. When I tell you it's terrible in my neighborhood I am putting it mildly. I honestly cannot fly it to the end of my street before I'm flying dark and it's RTH on its own. Just sad.

No, I have never used the Assistant to update firmware. I have used it to calibrate the compass or something of that nature. I will update it this evening with it.

Reactions: RFaust and BMW Z4
YES, but here is an update after talking to DJI. They told me to use DJI Assist INSTEAD of DJIGO to update the firmware so I did a REFRESH from DJI Assist. Just had a successful 10 minute flight going up to 300ft high and about 300 ft away with no transmission issues. So hoping problem fixed but will put it to more of a test tomorrow at the park!

Have been doing some tests also with me mavic pro and mavic air at different locations and i read your post so i updated firmware again using the assistant. Tomorrow will try at same location again with air to see if any better.
Location if very very important.. from experience interference is very complicated to solve as its not from a house or tree which you just move it is coming from other factors like antennas etc which you cant avoid at the same location.
Pleas let us know how it works for you after a few more flights.

I wasn't expecting it either and quite frankly I should have waiting to see what the MP2 is all about. The size of this and its abilities is the reason I bit. When I tell you it's terrible in
my neighborhood I am putting it mildly. I honestly cannot fly it to the end of my street before I'm flying dark and it's RTH on its own. Just sad.

No, I have never used the Assistant to update firmware. I have used it to calibrate the compass or something of that nature. I will update it this evening with it.

to make things worse i leave in Europe which limits the wifi signal to half , so i am in the process of faking the gps signal location to enable the fcc mode which has double the wifi signal strengh as is in the US, lets see if we have in good results..

Never had any issues with the mavic pro even in CE mode

YES, but here is an update after talking to DJI. They told me to use DJI Assist INSTEAD of DJIGO to update the firmware so I did a REFRESH from DJI Assist. Just had a successful 10-minute flight going up to 300ft high and about 300 ft away with no transmission issues. So hoping problem fixed but will put it to more of a test tomorrow at the park!
WELL, short-lived success! Cant hold connection at the park I went too. My Spark and Pro fly just great at this location, HECK even my Karma has a decent range here so it's not location issue for me. The AIR has issues. Hoping the new update that just came out will fix!

YES,apparently some of the first versions of the Air had motherboard issues. DJI sent me new one and works great! My first one was a lemon
even other mavic air (which no issue in motherboard) suffer weak signal isnt it?. my spark work much better than air

I'm on board with you. The range on my MA is terrible even compared to my Spark. I get that "Weak Signal" warning just about every time I fly in the 'burbs (my house). Yesterday afternoon, I tried to fly to the same location I had flown to at sunrise. Some 1300' away to take snapshot of a house. This time I got to about 900' and started getting an intermittent signal lost message. I stopped and waited to see if the signal improved. Nope. So I pulled back on the stick to reverse direction. It didn't seem to respond, and I figured RTH would be initiated. Some how it got enough signal to bring it closer that I was able to fly it back, but the video was freezing and laggy.

Just my .02... The MA is truly like an upgraded Spark with added intelligent modes and a better camera, but its range is horrible. This is the only DJI drone I own that I fear will one day fly away or fail to return.

From some of these posts I’m gonna say issues are with your area, a defective unit or a sub-par display device.

Using iPhone X, I’ve done 3-4km away with no transmission issues. I travel all around Ontario. I’d bet it’s your area or display dev.

Reactions: TroutboyNZ
YES,apparently some of the first versions of the Air had motherboard issues. DJI sent me new one and works great! My first one was a lemon

Is there a way to tell when your Mavic Air was made?

Mine is also having some connection issues and haven't been able to go very far and now that I am in Europe the connection is even worse. Tomorrow I will try to change it to fcc and see if that helps. But I got my air 10 days after release, could it possibly have motherboard issues?

Is there a way to tell when your Mavic Air was made?

I think the date is on the S/N tag on your box. At the bottom right it should say (Y/M) with a date. mine says 2018/1. bought a month after release. I'm a little concerned mine has the same issue.

Reactions: Fire377
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60