DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air will take off but no movements afterwards?

pt_hikes

Reactions
I just purchased my first drone and am having a bit of difficulty. My mavic air will take off using the auto takeoff button in the app, I am able to rotate the gimbal, and take pictures, but joysticks are not responding to any of my inputs. I've tried to calibrate remote, compass calibration, and IMU calibration. Will be trying again when I get off work today, anyone have a suggestion on what I should look into?

Thanks!

joysticks are not responding to any of my inputs. I've tried to calibrate remote, compass calibration, and IMU calibration.
Forget the compass and IMU as they have no effect on your problem.
When you have calibrated the controller, do the joysticks work properly?
Was the calibration successful?

Forget the compass and IMU as they have no effect on your problem.
When you have calibrated the controller, do the joysticks work properly?
Was the calibration successful?
As far as I know the calibration was successful. I will try and recalibrate the controller when I get home and report back. I will also try operating from just the smartphone and no controller to see if that produces a different result. Thank you

As far as I know the calibration was successful. I will try and recalibrate the controller when I get home and report back. I will also try operating from just the smartphone and no controller to see if that produces a different result. Thank you
If the calibration is successful, you can see that the joystick input is good and not the problem.
The next thing to do is to post the recorded flight data to see what that's showing.

Reactions: Thomas B
Is there an object in front of the Air, possibly close enough to trigger the obstacle avoidance sensors? That would stop it moving forwards and backwards. Will it move sidewards?

Is there an object in front of the Air, possibly close enough to trigger the obstacle avoidance sensors? That would stop it moving forwards and backwards. Will it move sidewards?
I tried flying outside, no objects within range of the sensors. I was in the middle of an empty street. It will not rotate, go up or down, or move forward/backward. Only takeoff and hover about 3.5-4ft off the ground and land back in home position.

Reactions: Lastrexking
This is very odd. May be you should post one of your flight logs. May be there is something in there that would explain this behavior. See here under "Locating your flight logs" for instructions on how to.

This is probably the best course of action. You could also try just using your phone. That will tell you if it’s the remote or the Mavic.

You could try pairing with the remote again. Could be that something got corrupted in the original pairing.

Are you using the RC to move the Gimbal or are you using the app?

It almost seems as if the RC is not paired at all. Is the light on the RC green or red?

Appreciate all the responses! I will be trying everything suggested here and if all else fails, I will post flight logs to this thread.
Rather than trying random things and hoping it makes a difference, a better idea is to post flight data and identify the problem, then work on that.

Rather than trying random things and hoping it makes a difference, a better idea is to post flight data and identify the problem, then work on that.

Flight Log - DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Are you using the RC to move the Gimbal or are you using the app?

It almost seems as if the RC is not paired at all. Is the light on the RC green or red?
Yes the light on controller is green and light on drone is flashing green. I tried reconnecting controller after running calibration again, and it was successful. Controller will let me RTH, rotate gimbal, and take snapshots/start video. Joysticks just are not giving input to drone.

Last edited:
That's a strange one.
The data shows your joystick inputs are all normal but none made any difference to the drone.
It stayed in position without moving forwards, backwards, up, down or rotating while you worked the sticks in all directions.
Obstacle Avoidance probably isn't a factor since it was disabled.

Returning the drone for exchange is the best thing to do.

That's a strange one.
The data shows your joystick inputs are all normal but none made any difference to the drone.
It stayed in position without moving forwards, backwards, up, down or rotating while you worked the sticks in all directions.
Obstacle Avoidance probably isn't a factor since it was disabled.

Returning the drone for exchange is the best thing to do.

That is upsetting to hear. I will upload one more flight log, if you don't mind to take a look.

One thing also to note, I was not able to connect just my smartphone to the drone. The QR scan failed and my phone was not picking up any sort of wifi. I tried the drone in both Beginner mode and with beginner mode switched off. I do think I had all obstacle avoidance settings turned on though? I can go through the app and turn them all off and try once more.

Last edited:
How did you get on with DJI?
Well, I figured out my problem. When setting up the controller and drone, I somehow switched my stick config to custom, and had nothing set for any of the movements. So the sticks did nothing. Switched to stick 2 and flew with no issues for the first time yesterday! DJI support on FB immediately suggested replacing the drone and didnt offer any troubleshooting tips

Well, I figured out my problem. When setting up the controller and drone, I somehow switched my stick config to custom, and had nothing set for any of the movements. So the sticks did nothing. Switched to stick 2 and flew with no issues for the first time yesterday! DJI support on FB immediately suggested replacing the drone and didnt offer any troubleshooting tips

Haha! It must be nice to know your MA was operating completely as it should. Well done fault finding and reporting back, no doubt that will be added to some people list of fault finding questions now. "Have you checked the RC stick mode is not set to custom?" ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo