DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air won't connect to controller

Campbell

Reactions
Problem? I haven't been able to get my Mavic Air (brand new out of the box) to connect with the controller. I can get it to connect via Wifi and get it to fly (sort of - for a newbie trying to control it on your smart phone is a bit of a challenge - the controller would be so much easier. I get a red light on the controller (rather than green). I have plugged and unplugged from my phone (Nokia 7i running Android). The phone recognizes a connection (asks me do I want to connect) but nothing seems to happen on the controller

Was unit in a crash? No

What have you tried so far? Plugging and unplugging the phone, reloading the app (DJI GO 4)

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? Nokia 7i running Android

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? DJI GO 4 App

What Go app version are you using? 01.00.01.09

Any modification?
(if so what) Nil

Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what) No

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link) No

First, welcome to the forum! It is a pleasure to have another Mavic Air owner here :)

I get a red light on the controller (rather than green). I have plugged and unplugged from my phone (Nokia 7i running Android). The phone recognizes a connection (asks me do I want to connect) but nothing seems to happen on the controller
Looks like the remote controller has not been linked to the aircraft. Follow these steps (if you haven't already; if you have, read below)

Also, I distinctly remember that I run in to the the same problem when I was first setting up my Mavic Air (nearly a year ago). Like you, I was using a Nokia 7+ phone and I just couldn't get the remote to connect to the aircraft no matter how many times I tried. After a few tries, I decided to use my wife's Pixel phone instead and it worked on the first attempt. Once the AC and the RC were linked, I was able to use the Nokia 7+ without problems and I still use it to fly even now from time to time (I prefer the pixel though). So, there may be something about the Nokia phones here that may be the cause. I would suggest borrowing another phone from someone, installing GO4 on it, and using that to setup the device. Once all the setup is done, I think you will be able to use the Nokia without any problems. Good luck!

Reactions: Tunnelsen
First, welcome to the forum! It is a pleasure to have another Mavic Air owner here :)

Looks like the remote controller has not been linked to the aircraft. Follow these steps (if you haven't already; if you have, read below)

Also, I distinctly remember that I run in to the the same problem when I was first setting up my Mavic Air (nearly a year ago). Like you, I was using a Nokia 7+ phone and I just couldn't get the remote to connect to the aircraft no matter how many times I tried. After a few tries, I decided to use my wife's Pixel phone instead and it worked on the first attempt. Once the AC and the RC were linked, I was able to use the Nokia 7+ without problems and I still use it to fly even now from time to time (I prefer the pixel though). So, there may be something about the Nokia phones here that may be the cause. I would suggest borrowing another phone from someone, installing GO4 on it, and using that to setup the device. Once all the setup is done, I think you will be able to use the Nokia without any problems. Good luck!
Thanks Doppler, advanced a few more steps than last time but now get stopped by a message “Confirm frequency settings”. Two options - ”Cancel” or “OK” - but both just take me back to the previous screen . Any suggestions on what to do next? Thanks

Thanks Doppler, advanced a few more steps than last time but now get stopped by a message “Confirm frequency settings”. Two options - ”Cancel” or “OK” - but both just take me back to the previous screen . Any suggestions on what to do next? Thanks
Please follow the steps described in the video I linked in post #2. You don't need to modify or adjust frequency settings for linking the remote controller with the aircraft.

Please follow the steps described in the video I linked in post #2. You don't need to modify or adjust frequency settings for linking the remote controller with the aircraft.
Thanks Doppler, yep I followed the steps as described - worked perfectly on a borrowed iPhone - but when I tried to do it with my Nokia it keeps stopping at the point where I get into RC settings and hit “Remote Controller Linking”. At that point I get a pop up which says “Confirm frequency settings? - as described above gives me two options “Cancel” or “OK”. Doesn’t matter which option I choose it just clears the pop up. If I hit “Remote Controller Linking“ again I end up with the same pop up - and same outcome. Any ideas of what to try next? Thanks for your help to date.

Once you have successfully linked the remote controller with the aircraft, you don't need to do it again when you use another phone. Turn on the remote controller and the aircraft and let them sit for a few seconds. Does the connection status indicator led in the too left side of the remote turn green? If it does your AC and RC are already linked.

Reactions: NZmxer
Once you have successfully linked the remote controller with the aircraft, you don't need to do it again when you use another phone. Turn on the remote controller and the aircraft and let them sit for a few seconds. Does the connection status indicator led in the too left side of the remote turn green? If it does your AC and RC are already linked.
Even after I have successfully linked the RC to the aircraft as soon as I connect the Nokia phone to the RC then in the top LH corner in the App it says “disconnected” and the App runs through the prompts as if the RC has never been connected - despite the fact that I have a green light on both the RC and the aircraft suggesting that they are already linked. I have connected the Nokia to both the port at the top LH side and also tried the USB connection at the bottom of the RC - but seems to make no difference - still indicating ‘disconnected’ on the phone. Any ideas of what to do next? Thank you

Even after I have successfully linked the RC to the aircraft as soon as I connect the Nokia phone to the RC then in the top LH corner in the App it says “disconnected” and the App runs through the prompts as if the RC has never been connected - despite the fact that I have a green light on both the RC and the aircraft suggesting that they are already linked. I have connected the Nokia to both the port at the top LH side and also tried the USB connection at the bottom of the RC - but seems to make no difference - still indicating ‘disconnected’ on the phone. Any ideas of what to do next? Thank you
You’ll need a different phone/device. DJI has posted a list on their site... others may work, but looks like not your model... many versions of Android due to being open source software.

I had issues with the micro USB cable(I use a Samsung A6 Android Mobile). Try to connect your mobile using the USB-C cable and the adapter USB-C/Micro USB used to power the remote and see what happens.I replaced the original micro USB cable with an aftermarket version purchased on Amazon and Banggood and everything was OK.

You’ll need a different phone/device. DJI has posted a list on their site... others may work, but looks like not your model... many versions of Android due to being open source software.
Thanks for this - not exactly what I wanted to hear but was beginning to suspect this might be the problem. I have borrowed an iPhone 6 and this works fine. Makes the drone a bit more expensive proposition if you need to get a new phone as well though!

Before switching to a new mobile, I would check the USB cable integrity. The check you made with the IPhone is not significant, as you have used a different cable, not compatible with your mobile. Try first my suggestion and connect your phone using the USB-C cable (not the micro USB cable that you have used up to now) plus the adapter used to charge the remote. Only at this point you can be reasonably sure that is a problem of your mobile.This test takes few minutes, but can save you a lot of money:if it is a problem of the Micro USB cable, even your new mobile will not work.

I have connected the Nokia to both the port at the top LH side and also tried the USB connection at the bottom of the RC - but seems to make no difference - still indicating ‘disconnected’ on the phone.

Before switching to a new mobile, I would check the USB cable integrity. The check you made with the IPhone is not significant, as you have used a different cable, not compatible with your mobile. Try first my suggestion and connect your phone using the USB-C cable (not the micro USB cable that you have used up to now) plus the adapter used to charge the remote. Only at this point you can be reasonably sure that is a problem of your mobile.This test takes few minutes, but can save you a lot of money:if it is a problem of the Micro USB cable, even your new mobile will not work.

I believe he has tried the USB-C cable

Correct - I have tried to use the USB-C cable and that didn’t work either - but thank you for the suggestion.

You can try to change the USB port options on your Nokia 7+. To do this you have to go in Settings/System/About Phone. Scroll to the bottom item "Build Number" and tap on it at least 7 times(yes 7 times). Now you can go back in Setting/System and a new voice "Developer options" should appear.
Click on that and you should find a lot of items:eek:ne of them should sound like "Default USB Configuration". Try the different options: in a forum I found your problem was solved by a user using the "Image Transfer" option.
Good luck.

Correct - I have tried to use the USB-C cable and that didn’t work either - but thank you for the suggestion.
Sorry. I did not realize that the Nokia7+ USB connector is C type. So the test if the cable is healthy is still valid:you can try to use the Micro USB cable with an adapter micro-USB to USB-C.

Just to reiterate again, I do use a Nokia 7+ regularly and it works fine. I agree with Gianni's post above - the cable could be the culprit here.

You can try to change the USB port options on your Nokia 7+. To do this you have to go in Settings/System/About Phone. Scroll to the bottom item "Build Number" and tap on it at least 7 times(yes 7 times). Now you can go back in Setting/System and a new voice "Developer options" should appear.
Click on that and you should find a lot of items:eek:ne of them should sound like "Default USB Configuration". Try the different options: in a forum I found your problem was solved by a user using the "Image Transfer" option.
Good luck.
Yep - this was the issue! A big thank you! The default with the phone is "No data transfer". I tried "File Transfer" but this didn't seem to work either. I then tried "USB tethering" which was successful. (There are two other options "MIDI" and "PTP" which I didn't try). I took it for a short flight and most things seem to work OK - though the home button on the controller nor on the phone seemed to work so I had to land manually

To have the RTH working you have to wait the green led when you start and the top-left area on the app has to be green and show the message Ready to go: GPS.
In addition the Home point must be recorded and shown on the map in the bottom left corner of the app.
Normally there is also a vocal message that inform you that the home point has been updated.
If you want to use the "precision landing" option , you have to take off and rise up to 7 meters vertical, before moving in another direction. As an alternative you can use the automatic take off button and check the "precision landing" option.

Reactions: NZmxer
To have the RTH working you have to wait the green led when you start and the top-left area on the app has to be green and show the message Ready to go: GPS.
In addition the Home point must be recorded and shown on the map in the bottom left corner of the app.
Normally there is also a vocal message that inform you that the home point has been updated.
If you want to use the "precision landing" option , you have to take off and rise up to 7 meters vertical, before moving in another direction. As an alternative you can use the automatic take off button and check the "precision landing" option.
Thanks for this - if the wind drops a bit will give this a go later today. Cheers

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato