DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic ascending by itself past max limit during RTH

aggillator

Reactions
Hey All,

I'm new to the forum here. Had a pretty scary experience today. I was flying about 3000 ft out and my battery started getting low so i flipped into RTH. I'm watching my screen and see that instead of descending it was actually going higher way past my max altitude. I tried fighting against it and going down but it wasn't working. I was panicked but I quickly turned off RTH and tried to bring her down, which was working, but slowly. I was quickly losing battery so I had to land a bit away from home. I finally touched down on the grass with 3 seconds of battery life left. Waaaayyyyy too close for comfort. Anyone have any idea what could have happened?

Thanks,
Adam

This is usually caused by one of the following:
  • You accidentally entered the RTH altitude in feet (it's always set in meters)
  • The sunlight was shining into the obstacle avoidance sensors causing your Mavic to keep ascending to try to avoid an obstacle

Reactions: Andrew F
Thanks for the reply. Definitely not mistake in RTH altitude setting. Is there any fix for that? Its hard to fight against the obstacle avoidance sensros? Could have easily lost drone.

Thanks for the reply. Definitely not mistake in RTH altitude setting. Is there any fix for that? Its hard to fight against the obstacle avoidance sensros? Could have easily lost drone.
Well, honestly, if you are having a battery "fear moment", hitting RTH is NOT the right answer. It will take much longer for it to return to home than if you do it manually. Unless you can't see it . . . Msinger is right on probable causes. It's not hard to fight against obstacle avoidance sensors if you quickly turn them off. Also, you can pivot the craft and that issue goes away.

Hey All,

I'm new to the forum here. Had a pretty scary experience today. I was flying about 3000 ft out and my battery started getting low so i flipped into RTH. I'm watching my screen and see that instead of descending it was actually going higher way past my max altitude. I tried fighting against it and going down but it wasn't working. I was panicked but I quickly turned off RTH and tried to bring her down, which was working, but slowly. I was quickly losing battery so I had to land a bit away from home. I finally touched down on the grass with 3 seconds of battery life left. Waaaayyyyy too close for comfort. Anyone have any idea what could have happened?

Thanks,
Adam
Either turn off the OA or switch to sport mode as this also will disable OA.

Reactions: nrussell
Definitely not mistake in RTH altitude setting. Is there any fix for that? Its hard to fight against the obstacle avoidance sensros?
If the sensors are really the cause of the problem, then you'll need to disable them in DJI GO.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580