DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Crash and Recovery Ability

ovyyus

Reactions
Is this ability to recover a unique quality of the Mavic, as compared to the Phantom 3/4? I know my P3P would have no chance of righting itself if it clipped a tree branch or if it was struck by a bird. Can we expect the Mavic to recover from a bird attack without falling out of the sky like a Phantom?

The reduced weight and mass of the Mavic Pro definitely play a part in its ability to self recover.

Pilots have recovered thier Phantoms after a collision (there was a video posted on the Phantom Forums of a pilot slamming a water tower roof and flipping over and off of the roof only to have the Phantom right itself and continue flight), but that is the rarity and not the norm. The Mavic Pro appears to be much more tolerant of impact with obstacles over the Phantoms.

I really do not want to find out. I have flown hundreds of miles on my P3p and never had a hard landing knock on wood.. I am hoping for the same with Mavic

The folding props may also play a part in the recovery ability. I'm guessing hitting a hard surface, having the props fold just long enough to drop that edge down the wall - at which point they extend to provide lift again - is probably more conducive to recovery than fixed props that either crack, strip, or cause the motor to stop spinning.

I really do not want to find out. I have flown hundreds of miles on my P3p and never had a hard landing knock on wood.. I am hoping for the same with Mavic

Me too. However, some birds become very territorial around here and my P3P flying has often been suspended for fear of attacking birds. I'm not too worried about a bird breaking my drone through direct contact, but rather the drone plummeting uncontrollably to the ground after it is hit. I seems like my new MP (when it arrives) might perform better in this particular situation.

Me too. However, some birds become very territorial around here and my P3P flying has often been suspended for fear of attacking birds. I'm not too worried about a bird breaking my drone through direct contact, but rather the drone plummeting uncontrollably to the ground after it is hit. I seems like my new MP (when it arrives) might perform better in this particular situation.
I think it will be substantially harder for a bird to bring down a Mavic than a Phantom. Folding props are a Godsend.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00