DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic crash

I.R.O.I

Reactions
Hi. I am new to this forum. I have flown my drone several times but I would not consider myself to be an expert in any way. I encountered an issue so I decided to post here to get some assistance.
I was flying my Mavic Platinum last week when all of a sudden I lost connection with the drone. I had the settings so that if connection was lost the drone would return to "home". However, as it was returning it hit the top of a tree, crashed and it is now completely destroyed. This is a newbie question, but shouldn't the forward sensors have prevented the drone from crashing into the tree? I just want to know if this is an issue I can present to DJI to see if they will repair it for free or should I find a third party to repair it.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

You want to set the RTH to over any existing object in your path, that make it easy for the drone to get back to you.
The Forward sensor can sometimes detect but they can never be relied on solely such as a Return to home calling.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on Water.

Hi. I am new to this forum. I have flown my drone several times but I would not consider myself to be an expert in any way. I encountered an issue so I decided to post here to get some assistance.
I was flying my Mavic Platinum last week when all of a sudden I lost connection with the drone. I had the settings so that if connection was lost the drone would return to "home". However, as it was returning it hit the top of a tree, crashed and it is now completely destroyed. This is a newbie question, but shouldn't the forward sensors have prevented the drone from crashing into the tree? I just want to know if this is an issue I can present to DJI to see if they will repair it for free or should I find a third party to repair it.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.
In addition to what Phantom Rain said, sometimes, the drone will not detect the tree until it's in quite close proximity. By that time, it would probably have hit something. It's kind of hard for these obstacle sensors to detect small things like branches. I don't mean the thick part of the branch, I mean like the smaller twiggy parts. Therefore, it probably wouldn't detect a small branch especially if leafless. That's why, like PhantomRain said, before flight, it's advisable to set the RTH height at least 20ft over the approximate hight of everything between you and the drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertmag