DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mavic did not rth

JohnnyD913

Premium Pilot
Reactions
This was the fifth or sixth flight with brand new mavic. I have a p4 and another mavic and both
will initiate rth after 3 secs. disconnected. Clearly you can see after numerous disconnects and
many many over 3 secs. the mavic actually was getting further away. I know the height was
extreme but b4 disconnect and when i was losing signal i increased altitude trying in vain
to restablish connection. So please dont relentlessly tell me how wrong and all the rules
broken cause i am well aware.I hope this is right file. does anyone know what happened?
in my settings everything was and still is set to rth if disconnect or low battery.
You will see that the flight record SAYS its coming home but never does even when critical
battery level is reached. Also why does the file not complete itself.
The GREAT news is it threaded a 8 foot wide gap between two buildings with trees and
houses and businesses everywhere. I will try to figure a way to load the video.
the video does not appear on my ipad pro 9.7 but does appear on sd card when played
back on computer.
Anyway is this the right file?
i opened it in excel but do not know how to load that here.
Any suggestions

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-04-20_[23-59-41].txt
    980.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
You can trust RTH totally. It will always work. They say.
Until it doesn't.
Not to bash you at all, just for the rookies that one shouldn't rely on RTH and push it to the limit of signal loss.

Specially when the pilot take the aircraft in very high altitude beyond the legal limit. The highest you get, the strongest the wind gusts it's.

Specially when the pilot take the aircraft in very high altitude beyond the legal limit. The highest you get, the strongest the wind gusts it's.

the winds werent enuf to keep the mavic from rth or at the very least show signs it was trying.
It failed to rth

It was too far out to have any hope of coming home. My PC just crashed so cant elaborate...

It was too far out to have any hope of coming home. My PC just crashed so cant elaborate...
Simmo i have been much further than this and never lost signal. When this began i still had over 55% battery
left. Plenty to rth but it never did rth. Everyone can try to blame this on my sssstupidity but i am afraid this
is a dji malfuntion.

There was strong wind. The aircraft wasn't able to fight the wind back home.

View attachment 36524 View attachment 36525 View attachment 36526
Keule, THANK YOU for showing me the data. I admit I was wrong in not thinking the wind was effecting the Mavic.
As one of your illustrations clearly shows the average wind speed at different
Altitudes. I sure didn’t think it was that much difference.
I thought it was a defective mavic but clearly it was a defective pilot.
Thank you for a dose of humility and now I know.
AWESOME help

Hello johnnyd913. I had an unusual experience where I flew a zig zag pattern into the wind up to the top of a hill about 800 ft AGL and about 2 miles as-the-crow-flies, from my home position. On the way up I maintained about 150 AGL flying NOE.

As soon as I arrived at the elevation where I wanted to fly around and check out the scenery, I get a RTH warning. I only used 35% power and the trip home was a straight line down hill down wind, so I was confused as to why the RTH.

My better judgement told me to let it do it’s thing. As I learned, the MPP is governed at 45mph. Therefore it burned 45% more power trying to keep itself slowed down on the RTH. The most amazing thing is that I have my low limit set at 10%, which is what the battery level was when I touched down.

I almost stayed at the top of the hill due to the logic but had I ignored the warning I would have found myself in an emergency landing in the trees!

I said all that to say that DJI seems to have some good logic. The programmers have really put a lot into such a small footprint. I’ve crashed mine many times, all of which have been pilot error. I’m not saying they’re perfect, they’re still made by human hands, but looking back, I would have a zero crash record had I followed the manual.

Even as I write this, my drone is on a UPS truck on its way for repair after a catastrophe in follow mode where I slammed into a tree, did an emergency shutdown, only to watch it fall 50 feet to the ground... no pretty. Now I’m waiting on a repair quote since I’ve used up my refresh cases.

Oh, and there are ways to fly above 400 AGL legally . Get your hands on an aeronautical chart for your area, they’re cheap. Lots of info to help drone pilots know where it’s safe and leagal to fly.

For weather and winds aloft, check out AWC - Standard Briefing

Fly high and fly often

Hello johnnyd913. I had an unusual experience where I flew a zig zag pattern into the wind up to the top of a hill about 800 ft AGL and about 2 miles as-the-crow-flies, from my home position. On the way up I maintained about 150 AGL flying NOE.

As soon as I arrived at the elevation where I wanted to fly around and check out the scenery, I get a RTH warning. I only used 35% power and the trip home was a straight line down hill down wind, so I was confused as to why the RTH.

My better judgement told me to let it do it’s thing. As I learned, the MPP is governed at 45mph. Therefore it burned 45% more power trying to keep itself slowed down on the RTH. The most amazing thing is that I have my low limit set at 10%, which is what the battery level was when I touched down.

I almost stayed at the top of the hill due to the logic but had I ignored the warning I would have found myself in an emergency landing in the trees!

I said all that to say that DJI seems to have some good logic. The programmers have really put a lot into such a small footprint. I’ve crashed mine many times, all of which have been pilot error. I’m not saying they’re perfect, they’re still made by human hands, but looking back, I would have a zero crash record had I followed the manual.

Even as I write this, my drone is on a UPS truck on its way for repair after a catastrophe in follow mode where I slammed into a tree, did an emergency shutdown, only to watch it fall 50 feet to the ground... no pretty. Now I’m waiting on a repair quote since I’ve used up my refresh cases.

Oh, and there are ways to fly above 400 AGL legally . Get your hands on an aeronautical chart for your area, they’re cheap. Lots of info to help drone pilots know where it’s safe and leagal to fly.

Fly high and fly often
Mad Mavic

Fly high and fly often
Mad Mavic I assure you I know what you mean. My first mavic was truly a dji defect which they replaced no problem. This is my third actually and number two met it’s end when I slammed it into a column at an outdoor amphitheater.
There was no one there at the time just me and my mav.
I was just acting stupid of course.
Thank you for your information relating to aeronautical charts.
That is something I most definitely will invest in.
I see we are neighbors too, I live in Arkansas and I see your
From good ole Tennessee.
I really like your motto about flying high and often and will do my
Best to live by your creed.
Lol
Thanks again,
JohnnyD913

Reactions: Mad Mavic
Download a drone app. UAV Forecast for example will show you lots of info. One of them is a chart showing the wind speed at a bunch of different altitudes. Then you can easily see at which height to not fly as the winds are too much. For example this is what the app shows my location right now.

You can see that I shouldn't go above 100 feet because the wind gets too strong for my Mavic Air

Attachments

• A1E355DC-EBD4-4005-A166-CC4A141A6399.png
    A1E355DC-EBD4-4005-A166-CC4A141A6399.png
    846.4 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: JohnnyD913
Download a drone app. UAV Forecast for example will show you lots of info. One of them is a chart showing the wind speed at a bunch of different altitudes. Then you can easily see at which height to not fly as the winds are too much. For example this is what the app shows my location right now.

You can see that I shouldn't go above 100 feet because the wind gets too strong for my Mavic Air

Hello MavicNoob79. I loaded the app; definitely a good snapshot at current weather conditions.

Let me throw in a plug for carbon props. No particular manufacturer, just a plug for the material.

This is in response to today’s wether info on UAV Forcast. My MPP with stock props will lose forward motion in 15 mph winds with gusts of 25 mph. I’ve had carbon props since day one and like anything else, they have their pros and cons.

Changing over to carbon, 15 mph winds with high gusts are no longer a threat. The stiffness of the carbon fiber allows for less cavitation, resulting in the utilization of a higher percentage of the prop’s pitch.

I’ve tried it twice in strong winds, and definitely a marked difference. I just ordered a “quite” version based on the stock prop design of the Platinum, but yet to try them out. If they prove to be both quiet and wind resistant, then I’ll post the manufacturer.

Fly high and fly often

I would advise avoiding populated areas or flying over houses. It'll affect the RC to AC connection. More and more homes have wifi, which will greatly reduce your transmission range. I think some homes seems to have stronger wifi inference. When I fly near homes, just skirting around build-up area, some spots trigger inference warnings.

I would advise avoiding populated areas or flying over houses. It'll affect the RC to AC connection. More and more homes have wifi, which will greatly reduce your transmission range. I think some homes seems to have stronger wifi inference. When I fly near homes, just skirting around build-up area, some spots trigger inference warnings.

Have a look at an app called 'wifi analyser'
I was at a little mall the other day, multiple duplicate channels of users on 2.4 ...NO-ONE on 5.8!!

MavicNoob79
Thank you sir for posting this app info. Tremendous benefits
So that dummies like me don’t end up a few hundred feet up thinking I’m fine when nothing could be further from the truth.
That’s what I love about this forum, if it were not for the help
I get from fellow pilots I would not have a bird worthy of flight.
Amazing what all I have learned and been helped with.
Once again many thanks for your knowledge,I’ve learned a
VERY important lesson about wind and the effects on my Mavic.
I mean I know and effects them but I NEVER THOUGHT that
Wind speeds vary so greatly over just a few hundred feet.
Sincerely,
JohnnyD913

Reactions: MavicNoob79
Hello MavicNoob79. I loaded the app; definitely a good snapshot at current weather conditions.

Let me throw in a plug for carbon props. No particular manufacturer, just a plug for the material.

This is in response to today’s wether info on UAV Forcast. My MPP with stock props will lose forward motion in 15 mph winds with gusts of 25 mph. I’ve had carbon props since day one and like anything else, they have their pros and cons.

Changing over to carbon, 15 mph winds with high gusts are no longer a threat. The stiffness of the carbon fiber allows for less cavitation, resulting in the utilization of a higher percentage of the prop’s pitch.

I’ve tried it twice in strong winds, and definitely a marked difference. I just ordered a “quite” version based on the stock prop design of the Platinum, but yet to try them out. If they prove to be both quiet and wind resistant, then I’ll post the manufacturer.

Fly high and fly often
Mad Mavic I personally would appreciate the name of the manufacturer of these props u speak of. I have one question,
Are they balanced as well as stock props?
I figure they are

Fly high and fly often
I've read posts about carbon blades also causing static electricity build up and signal issues because of this build up. Have you experienced any kind of signal loss or interference with the carbon blades?

MavicNoob79
Thank you sir for posting this app info. Tremendous benefits
So that dummies like me don’t end up a few hundred feet up thinking I’m fine when nothing could be further from the truth.
That’s what I love about this forum, if it were not for the help
I get from fellow pilots I would not have a bird worthy of flight.
Amazing what all I have learned and been helped with.
Once again many thanks for your knowledge,I’ve learned a
VERY important lesson about wind and the effects on my Mavic.
I mean I know and effects them but I NEVER THOUGHT that
Wind speeds vary so greatly over just a few hundred feet.
Sincerely,
JohnnyD913
You're welcome. I was pretty amazed at the wind difference as well when I first used that app.
And yes this forum has been so much help. There's a lot of knowledgeable people here

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121