DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic dive bombed using ActiveTrack

kiiirky

Reactions
Hi everyone. I'm brand new to drones and my Mavic Pro. Slowly getting comfortable with its features and 'intelligent' options. I was recording recently using ActiveTrack Trace on a friend and the Mavic decided, like a vicious magpie, to dive-bomb my friend by itself! I managed to take control before it had chance to get too close but was wondering if anyone has come across this and what might have caused it?? Cheers for any intel.

Forgive me. What is a Magpie? And it most likely is pilot error. :eek:

Reactions: snipe
Very curious pains in the arse
1368e4636a290db9a822d31ff0ced16b.jpg

Can't say I've seen that on any of the forums mate, maybe try it again.
Make sure all functions are working A1 like gps mode etc, lock tracking in and hit go, watch speed, too fast and it can't cope.
It's good to get used to Active Track and Follow Me modes, they seem to have different capabilities.

Forgive me. What is a Magpie? And it most likely is pilot error. :eek:
Voted Australia's most popular bird recently. They are really really aggressive in spring when they feel people are too close to their nests.
Heck, they are really 24/7 parents. I went for a run at 1 am one time and one swooped at me.

Personally, I like ibises better.

Hi everyone. I'm brand new to drones and my Mavic Pro. Slowly getting comfortable with its features and 'intelligent' options. I was recording recently using ActiveTrack Trace on a friend and the Mavic decided, like a vicious magpie, to dive-bomb my friend by itself! I managed to take control before it had chance to get too close but was wondering if anyone has come across this and what might have caused it?? Cheers for any intel.

ActiveTrack is one of the most reliable ways the beginners can (and do) use to destroy their Mavic.

I spent:

- one week in Beginner mode, baby steps
- 2-3 weeks of general manual flying, slowly increasing range to ~300-500m
- RTFMing many times over

IIRC, I tried ActiveTrack for the 1st time after about a month of daily flying.

Most likely, the OP is a user/newbie error.

Perhaps the obstacle avoidance (OA) caused the dip, was there anything near?

Reactions: REHeimann
Perhaps the obstacle avoidance (OA) caused the dip, was there anything near?
Nothing near. My friend was celebrating her new house with a slab party so literally a slab of concrete and her walking across it! Odd...but I’ll just keep practising.

What I have seen, and I suspect it was what actually happened in your case, is the Mavic is set to follow the subject and then lags a little. It then plays catch up and flies right at the person. Since Actv Track points the drone right at the subject, it flies right at them and can/will hit the person if at the same height. What it does not do is, "dive" at them. That would only happen if the thing being tracked changed it's height relative to the Mavic.

I do have this on video and have posted a still image from the video so far in a prior post about this.

This is why Active Track should not be used at the same height as the subject and instead well above it.

Reactions: drakkor
What I have seen, and I suspect it was what actually happened in your case, is the Mavic is set to follow the subject and then lags a little. It then plays catch up and flies right at the person. Since Actv Track points the drone right at the subject, it flies right at them and can/will hit the person if at the same height. What it does not do is, "dive" at them. That would only happen if the thing being tracked changed it's height relative to the Mavic.

I do have this on video and have posted a still image from the video so far in a prior post about this.

This is why Active Track should not be used at the same height as the subject and instead well above it.
Great to know!! Thanks for the advice and duly noted for next flight...

Nothing to do with being a newbie, Active Track attacks have been happening since the beginning. I have experienced dozens of AT attacks to the point I would wear a helmet if I were not in a car. There is a rubber-band effect where the drone gets into an oscillation especially when following from the rear. I thought this was isolated to the earlier P4 but when I got my new Mavic Pro I was disappointed too find it's doing the same thing. DJI has some work to do on AT and GPS Follow software.

Nothing to do with being a newbie, Active Track attacks have been happening since the beginning. I have experienced dozens of AT attacks to the point I would wear a helmet if I were not in a car. There is a rubber-band effect where the drone gets into an oscillation especially when following from the rear. I thought this was isolated to the earlier P4 but when I got my new Mavic Pro I was disappointed too find it's doing the same thing. DJI has some work to do on AT and GPS Follow software.

User error - unrealistic expectation of the level of capability of this day technology. One should not expect the perfection that can be seen in CGI scenes from sci-fi movies. We're not there yet. In 3017... maybe.

A lot can be done with current technology when implemented properly. Too many jump to the user error excuse for poor software. This is a Typhoon H completely hands off using dynamic altitude control going up a steep trail at 30+ mph. My Bebop 2 and Solo perform similar to this or better. The Bebop uses dynamic altitude, optical recognition and GPS data for precise follow.

Reactions: Geoff731 and RobP62
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty