DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic drifting, shaking, etc.

barefootFPV

Reactions
Hey all,

Got my Mavic yesterday (woo!). When taking it on its first two flights today, I noticed something weird. When reviewing my footage from the 1st flight, I thought I just had a bad case of rolling shutter (720p30 shooting towards the sun).

However, when taking it out on its second flight today (sunset), the Mavic was VERY shaky / unstable. I'm getting a ton of drift both close to the ground and up in the air. The drone doesn't seem to be flat and locked in like I've seen in most of the videos. In fact, different arms are randomly bobbing up and down.

Now, this is my first DJI product, but I've built ~15 racing drones. My first thoughts are IMU calibration or prop balance, but the props are brand new and the app isn't prompting me for a calibration.

Any thoughts?

***EDIT: IMU calibration fixed everything!

Last edited:
Lots of people having the same issue - look back through past threads. Sounds like a firmware update and a stick calibration usually does the trick.

As many of you who are avid flyers and pilots, would know, your aircraft IMU can be disrupted for many reasons even when the aircraft is turned off. Who only knows? Perhaps, it had a bad trip from DJI to your home and out of calibration from the journey. The shipping process can be brutal during transit.
It is common sinse to upgrade and recalibrate every thing before flying for the first time even if the go app says so or not. Better to have that piece of mind.

Last edited:
As many of you who are avid flyers and pilots, would know, your aircraft IMU can be disrupted for many reasons even when the aircraft is turned off. Who only knows? Perhaps, it had a bad trip from DJI to your home and out of calibration from the journey. The shipping process can be brutal during transit.
It is common sinse to upgrade and recalibrate every thing before flying for the first time even if the go app says so or not. Better to have that piece of mind.

Yup - that must have been it. IMU was way out of calibration, but below the threshold to prompt for a recalibration. Did it anyways and we're flying steady now!

had the same problem, but the IMU calibration is not solving it. how should i do? can i do the firmware update without cable? i am on a trip...

thank you

I understand.
Sorry for the dumb question, but I can't remember a specific cable for the update in the box.
Is it different than the one that I use for charging the RC (USB to micro usb)?
Because I have with me.my macbook...
Thank you

You only need the cable you use to connect your mobile device to the remote controller. Follow these instructions to update the firmware:

You only need the cable you use to connect your mobile device to the remote controller. Follow these instructions to update the firmware:

Thank you
I am pretty sure it is updated to the last one, wirelessy via app.
If it is so, should I restore the previous firmware?
Thanks

I'm running the current firmware and I do not see this issue. That said, I don't know if rolling back will get you anywhere. You could try resetting the firmware in the DJI Assistant 2 app.

Reactions: Pescantini
If it is flying wonky or it prompts you calibrate it. Mine is perfect I'm not touching anything. Haven't touched the IMU, Sticks or gimbal. It flies straight as an arrow video is close to perfectly level. I hesitate to even complete firmware updates now because one thing I have learned from DJI is that updates aren't always an upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I'm running the current firmware and I do not see this issue. That said, I don't know if rolling back will get you anywhere. You could try resetting the firmware in the DJI Assistant 2 app.
So factory reset first, then downgrade to previous firmware right? thank you..
Di replied me to try to IMU calibrating through DJI assistant, which I will try

Right -- you definitely should try an IMU calibration before messing with the firmware.

Right -- you definitely should try an IMU calibration before messing with the firmware.
Tried, with no success.
Only the downgrade is left..
The crazy thing is that I tested the main for 1 week in Europe and it was working perfectly , once landed here in Thailand it started with the problems..

Hello everyone. I have been experiencing the same issues with my Mavic. After the update it would drift, yaw and lose GPS as mentioned above and in other threads. My solution that worked for me was as follows. I went to a park that was very open, no metal or powerlines anywhere nearby. I took my launch platform and a level. got the platform level in three planes and calibrated the IMU, the controller, the Compass uninstalled the Go 4 app and reinstalled (at home on wifi) it before pairing it to the Mavic. I turned everything on, shut down and re-calibrated everything again making sure the platform was still level. After doing the IMU, compass (with the controller 20 feet away and nothing in my pockets), gimble (just because I had a perfectly level area) I installed a new battery and launched it in a pretty stiff breeze...and it is once again ROCK SOLID and flying as it did the first time I got it. I flew it for three batteries and never had a GPS signal drop or anything...flew perfectly. I did all this after the update in my yard but I have a power drop to the house and didnt have everything perfectly level and such so I think that was the issue. I may try to install the latest update and repeat the sequence at the park tomorrow and see if its the update that isnt working (doubt it) or if I was trying to do the calibrations in an area that wasnt a good area to calibrate in. I will post tomorrow or Sunday with the results knowing I can go back to the .300 update that is working as it should. I hope others have as much success as I did. I was truely ready to sell the dang thing and was so frustrated with all of it. Best of luck!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada