DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic experience

Surgeon

Reactions
Some words about my experience with Mavic Pro.
Bought my Mavic 2 months ago. On the second flight the bird lost contact and flew away never to be seen again. I wrote to the support and surprisingly I got a new one because there was something wrong with it according to the log. The new one came again surprisingly in just a couple of days.
I updated the firmware the bird flew but I got a system warning to calibrate the sensors. Tried to log in and calibrate but the Assistant didn´t recognized the bird and it was impossible to calibrate even "manually". New contact with support and surprisingly they told me to send in for repair. Surprisingly they sent me a new one again in a couple of days for free.
The question now is how is the quality of the birds? I mean it must cost them a lot of money to give out new birds to all people all the time. The firmware seems to have a lot of glitches. I can´t be the only one with bad luck. The positive part is that the support handles everything very very smoothly. The next question is, do I dare to fly with the new one??
The last question is, do the Chinese know everything about the Mavics? Do they know where and when we fly them?

Very strange. I have had two Mavics - one since right after launch and never had any QC problems with them. I have followed threads with 100's of Mavic users and not seen many hardware problems.

If they replaced birds as you mention chances are that something happened with a "known batch". My estimate is that over 1/2 million Mavics have been built...and it's certainly possible that some supplier delivered a bad component, etc.

As far as what the Chinese know....the model keeps logs of where you fly. Most people allow these to be synced to your online DJI account (there are probably workarounds if you don't want this done). So, yeah, in theory the company which made your device CAN find out where you fly....just like Uber knows where you ride and AT&T and Google know where you drive and walk and live, etc.

These logs come in very handy in terms of proving or disproving a warranty claim, which is really one of the main reasons they are so detailed. So they protect both you and the company from false claims like "I didn't fly over the center of boston when I lost my Mavic" etc.

I would look at a drone just like you look at Facebook, Google, Apple and wireless carriers....and credit cards and ATM's and everything else. The world is connected now and the man knows when my EZpass drove on the turnpike.

Very strange. I have had two Mavics - one since right after launch and never had any QC problems with them. I have followed threads with 100's of Mavic users and not seen many hardware problems.

If they replaced birds as you mention chances are that something happened with a "known batch". My estimate is that over 1/2 million Mavics have been built...and it's certainly possible that some supplier delivered a bad component, etc.

As far as what the Chinese know....the model keeps logs of where you fly. Most people allow these to be synced to your online DJI account (there are probably workarounds if you don't want this done). So, yeah, in theory the company which made your device CAN find out where you fly....just like Uber knows where you ride and AT&T and Google know where you drive and walk and live, etc.

These logs come in very handy in terms of proving or disproving a warranty claim, which is really one of the main reasons they are so detailed. So they protect both you and the company from false claims like "I didn't fly over the center of boston when I lost my Mavic" etc.

I would look at a drone just like you look at Facebook, Google, Apple and wireless carriers....and credit cards and ATM's and everything else. The world is connected now and the man knows when my EZpass drove on the turnpike.
Yes strange. But they can´t be, well can, of the same batch. I bought my first one in USA and got the other from support in Europe. But as long as they handle it this efficient it´s ok. Except that I can´t fly. You are right about the security and privacy.

Reactions: Dronewerkz
I bought 2 mavics in 2 weeks. First one didnt stop autolanding due to faulty rc. Second one is gimbal. I switched controllers and will return one. Made in china. Didnt expect anything from dji. It is what it is. Cheap chinese labor= bad qc.

I bought 2 mavics in 2 weeks. First one didnt stop autolanding due to faulty rc. Second one is gimbal. I switched controllers and will return one. Made in china. Didnt expect anything from dji. It is what it is. Cheap chinese labor= bad qc.

I'm not doubting your experience but the Apple laptop and iphone I have right here are made in China - and DJI is known to pay well (very well). I can confirm that having talked to many employees and contractors of theirs.

Wages have gone way up in China and just about everything we buy (most very high quality) is made there.

Now, of course, DJI hasn't made it to the level of Apple, etc. where they make 100 million of a single device and can closer control all the vendors, etc.

However, over time they have proven to be of a fairly high quality (check out Amazon ratings over the years of various models - usually 4+ stars).

I'm not doubting your experience but the Apple laptop and iphone I have right here are made in China - and DJI is known to pay well (very well). I can confirm that having talked to many employees and contractors of theirs.

Wages have gone way up in China and just about everything we buy (most very high quality) is made there.

Now, of course, DJI hasn't made it to the level of Apple, etc. where they make 100 million of a single device and can closer control all the vendors, etc.

However, over time they have proven to be of a fairly high quality (check out Amazon ratings over the years of various models - usually 4+ stars).
So you heard from them... i actually lived and worked in All over Asia including Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines and Korea. Also visited China due to work many times. I exclusively worked in factory environment.

You heard from them lol. Please do not blieve everything you hear. And do not put dji in same sentence with Apple. Not even close.. another 100 years apart lol. Do you know what will happen if Apple products and their customer services were as ****** as DJI?? From my experience, Made in China products are still same as 20 years ago in terms of quality. And this is with chinese companies stealing other foreign companies intellectual properties.

I have seen my CEO (Korean company which had factories in Indonesia) who paid (bribed) $2000USD to one of the govt officials of Department of Labor, Indonesia. Consequences of this?? 15000 employees were getting paid under the minimum wage which was set by government. They have gotten paid like this for past 3 years. These folks made $8 a day. And the sad part is that these employees cant do anything because if they dont make that $8 that day, they will starve that day. Stuff like this happens everyday. There is a reason why these products have bad qualty controls. To be honest , if i was making $8 a day working 12 hrs, i could care less about quality.

Made in China and High Quality do not belong in same sentence...

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't speak to their wages or the conditions of their factories, but they must be doing something right, because according to the a recent poll on this forum over 95% of the people are very happy with their mavics. Including me.

Look guys, I understand the frustration of those having problems with their Mavic but this "Chinese bashing" is borderline xenophobia. Sure you can point to problems at DJI but let's not get carried away here. The vast number of MP's work perfectly well given the level of technology they contain.
It would not surprise me that when the MP was first released the level of demand significantly outgrew supply. In these circumstances even the best companies can have quality control issues. Not an excuse, just reality.

There. Rant over. I feel better now [emoji4]

Bought my Mavic 2 months ago. On the second flight the bird lost contact and flew away never to be seen again. I wrote to the support and surprisingly I got a new one because there was something wrong with it according to the log. The new one came again surprisingly in just a couple of days.
I updated the firmware the bird flew but I got a system warning to calibrate the sensors. Tried to log in and calibrate but the Assistant didn´t recognized the bird and it was impossible to calibrate even "manually". New contact with support and surprisingly they told me to send in for repair. Surprisingly they sent me a new one again in a couple of days for free.
The question now is how is the quality of the birds? I mean it must cost them a lot of money to give out new birds to all people all the time. The firmware seems to have a lot of glitches. I can´t be the only one with bad luck. The positive part is that the support handles everything very very smoothly. The next question is, do I dare to fly with the new one??
The last question is, do the Chinese know everything about the Mavics? Do they know where and when we fly them?

Surprisingly I think you have a lot of luck... just throw the whipper snapper in the air and see if it flaps its wings..

Reactions: NCTurner
Zero issues with mine since July. Using the iPad Mini rather than my Android really made a huge difference in connectivity and enjoyability. But yeah. No weird issues with mine.

I own a Mavic now also owned a phantom 3 advance & P3P. Never had any problems with any of them. Guess I'm just one of the lucky ones.

An 85-year-old comes up to me on the street and says "I just had sex!". So why are you telling me? "I'm telling everybody!"

That's the way I'm feeling about the MP. Fit and finish are perfect, no issues at all in operation. RTH has worked every time. Did some flights around my local nature preserve recently and got some (IMO) really good photos. Looking forward to more until management decides drones disturb wildlife, with no evidence to support that.

An 85-year-old comes up to me on the street and says "I just had sex!". So why are you telling me? "I'm telling everybody!"

That's the way I'm feeling about the MP. Fit and finish are perfect, no issues at all in operation. RTH has worked every time. Did some flights around my local nature preserve recently and got some (IMO) really good photos. Looking forward to more until management decides drones disturb wildlife, with no evidence to support that.
What firmware are you on?

Bought a Mavic weeks ago.
Straight out of the box it didn't work ever.
Kept reporting problems like:
- Main controller data error;
- IMU error, calibrate IMU;
- Unplug 8-pin wire between damping plates;
- Calibrate gimbal.
After two days of trying, reading, upgrading and downgrading firmware I have yielded and brought it back. It's been sent to DJI.
Now 3 weeks without any sign and me really getting frustrated :(

Sorry to hear that. You got a lemon. Still zero issues with mine after several months and hundreds of flights. Hopefully they get you hooked up with a good bird.

I have been flying mine for the last 8 months no problems. Haven't had one error ... Warning ( except for a high wind velocity warning ) .... or problem with mine. I've flown in the most adverse weather conditions from 21 knot winds to rain..... At high altitudes and VERY long distances. I get just on 25 Min flight time on a battery. I get awesum videos as I film in 4K. To be honest, I've seen horror stories, but I have a few rules I abide by... Preflight checks... Maintenance.... Checking the flight logs after every jov done. I treat my Mavic like I treat my R44 Robinson. I fly it the same way and I abide by the same rules. I must add that I have never upgraded my firmeare. At the mo Im on 1.3.300 and will be till the bird either dies or stops working. I don't fly DJI go... I use Lichi and have had an awesum experience

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada