DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic fly away, changed home point during flight

ronjacobs

Reactions
When I was flying I decided to use RTH and pressed the button. (Home point was set during take of, 17 satelites, did the calibration) My mavic flew away from me landing 1 mile away. When looking at the log on my phone I noticed that the home point was altered during flight. It landed on that new home point. Why or how did the home point change?????
Any clues??
Happened to somebody??
Did I do something wrong?

Are you using DJI GO 3.1.2 on an Android device? If so, that's a known issue. Install DJI GO 4.

I am talking under correction here, but the home point you chose on your map using the app uses your phones GPS co-ords or it's perception of it at that specific time (the phone also needs to acquire satellites to determine where it is). If this has not been updated to indicate your latest location it will send the wrong co-ords to the aircraft.

I think another question that needs to be asked is: why did you use return to home in a non-emergency situation?

Ah, yes, you were using DJI GO 3.1.2. Either downgrade it or install DJI GO 4.

Reactions: willhay555
I think another question that needs to be asked is: why did you use return to home in a non-emergency situation?

I can't really help the OP here, but I'd like to know why AyeYo is implying that RTH should only be used in an emergency situation. It's a function programmed into the unit, and it should be work whether you are in an emergency situation or not. Once I find a place big enough to test out all the functions of my mavic safely, I plan to test RTH. Will I be in an emergency situation? Hopefully not. Do I still expect it to work properly? Of course.

Where di I find that number?
You can find the DJI GO version in the "General Settings" --> "About" section of DJI GO. There is no need to check though. Your flight log shows you were using version 3.1.2.

Just to try that function.

As far back as the original Phantom, RTH has proved to be a crap shoot. It's gotten better over the years, but you're still rolling the dice every time you hit that button. It should not be used as a "I just didn't feel like flying back manually" function. There are too many things that need to be in order for it to work and it's too easy for one of them to fail. Always ask yourself before you hit that button whether it's worth the risk over simply flying back manually.

As far back as the original Phantom, RTH has proved to be a crap shoot. It's gotten better over the years, but you're still rolling the dice every time you hit that button. It should not be used as a "I just didn't feel like flying back manually" function. There are too many things that need to be in order for it to work and it's too easy for one of them to fail. Always ask yourself before you hit that button whether it's worth the risk over simply flying back manually.
You are absolutely right. But in case something happens I want my drone to come back to me (in case of losing connection).

Reactions: BmrUpInTheSky
Here's to outdated browser data. I see the issue is resolved already. Posted my suggestion when the latest result was the flight log you posted.

I am talking under correction here, but the home point you chose on your map using the app uses your phones GPS co-ords or it's perception of it at that specific time (the phone also needs to acquire satellites to determine where it is). If this has not been updated to indicate your latest location it will send the wrong co-ords to the aircraft.
I thought the arcraft itself was connecting to satelites and deriving its home point. Never heard of phone sending home point to mavic. Also, the initial homepoint was set right. It showed on the map. It changed somehow during flight.

I thought the arcraft itself was connecting to satelites and deriving its home point. Never heard of phone sending home point to mavic.
It does, but the home point will switch to your mobile device's current location if you choose to return to the current location when initiating RTH.

Here's to outdated browser data. I see the issue is resolved already. Posted my suggestion when the latest result was the flight log you posted.
Well, for me still not resolved. Is the DJI GO 4 app the solution? What can I read/learn from the Healthy Drones flight data? Will it happen again and what to do.
You see, I am a novice, just got my mavic last week.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest