DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic flyaway covered by warranty

deckdog

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hey guys, thought you would be interested to know that DJI is covering the repairs to my Mavic Pro. Short version, launched at dusk. All systems were go, sent up about 50 feet to see if I could lock onto a few more satellites. Not touching the sticks, suddenly got message the satellite positioning was off. Within seconds, Mavic was heading off on its own. Luckily there was a big tree nearby and it went right through the branches, busting up the props and it came crashing down. If not for the tree, I might still be looking for it. DJI's response was "warranty per flight data analysis". Happy to be getting it fixed under warranty, but still hoping to get answers as to the reason for the flyaway.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

hey... that's good news for you. Did you have to supply logs from the flight?
Or did they just ask you to send it back for repair?

I just sent them an email explaining what happened. They asked to send it back to them for evaluation. They paid for the shipping also.

I hope I am wrong, but I believe when DJI says "warranty per flight data analysis" that means they will download info from the Mavic when they receive it and determine IF it will be covered under warranty. There is still the chance that they could deny warranty coverage.

Hopefully everything works out and it is fully covered. Please keep us posted on the progress of your claim.

Yeah I was going to say...I don't see them saying they will cover it at all. Horizon Hobby did the same to me... "send it in, we'll take a look at it"

No coverage.

You are both correct BriRi and J3ffrey, I did not know if they would cover the repair until they had the drone for a few days. That's when I got the note that they would repair under warranty. Still don't know why it flew off. Hoping they provide some answers.

Dual GPS receivers and it's still getting I'll reception. No ability to shift in to ATTI mode. Shame on DJI if they considered denying your request.

The Magic Pro utilizes both the GPS and GLONASS satellite systems.

One antenna on the Mavic, two sets of global satellites giving independent positioning data, two algorithms in the Mavic reading from all the data. This would be called "one receiver."

My understanding of the selection criteria is as follows: if there are not enough GPS satellites to achieve a lock, but there are enough GLONASS are available, it uses the GLONASS as a backup scheme. If there are enough GPS satellites, it ignores the GLONASS data entirely.

One antenna on the Mavic, two sets of global satellites giving independent positioning data, two algorithms in the Mavic reading from all the data. This would be called "one receiver."

My understanding of the selection criteria is as follows: if there are not enough GPS satellites to achieve a lock, but there are enough GLONASS are available, it uses the GLONASS as a backup scheme. If there are enough GPS satellites, it ignores the GLONASS data entirely.

Where do you draw this conclusion from?

Where do you draw this conclusion from?

fschilder, fair question and I did a bit of digging. I am sure I've read that specific conclusion (or heard it in a video) but can't find that information after a reasonable search now. I could be wrong, but I will lay out my reasoning.

That said, it appears DJI uses the u-blox line of GPS processing chips, as they're popular and well-integrated. The first package that supports GLONASS at all seems to be the u-blox NEO-7 line, and I dug into the technical specifications datasheets for NEO-7 and NEO-8. The datasheet does not support my statement above that it would ignore GLONASS if satisfied by GPS, but it doesn't deny it either. Further, it has a nice summary of the technical differences in GLONASS:

3.1 GLONASS

GLONASS is a GNSS operated by Russia. It has a number of significant differences when compared to GPS. In most cases u-blox receivers operate in a very similar manner when they are configured to use GLONASS signals instead of GPS. However some aspects of receiver output are likely to be noticeably affected: ...

• Positioning accuracy with GLONASS only satellites may be worse than with only GPS satellites. This is because of reduced availability; the GLONASS constellation has less satellites (at the time of writing, nominally 24 for GLONASS instead of 32 for GPS). Additionally, GLONASS signals have a lower chipping rate which reduces accuracy. ...

• As GLONASS uses a time base aligned directly to UTC, GLONASS receivers are affected by leap seconds, when the UTC time base is occasionally re-calibrated. As a consequence, users should be prepared for the receiver to restart itself if GLONASS signals are being tracked when a leap second occurs. GPS receivers are unaffected by leap second changes as their time base (GPS time) is independent of leap seconds. GPS satellites periodically transmit information that allows the receiver to calculate UTC.

https://www.u-blox.com/sites/defaul...verDescrProtSpec_(GPS.G7-SW-12001)_Public.pdf

As I work with embedded systems quite a bit, I understand that when there are two sensors or two data sources, there has to be a strategy to select which input to trust, and which input to combine, and what math would be used to combine, those signals from different sources. Everything I have seen in the datasheets shows that you would calculate a position from GPS, and you would calculate a separate position from GLONASS, given their distinct timing methodologies. Given that GLONASS is seen as (1) less accurate than GPS, and (2) has to account for leap seconds in UTC which are informed from the GPS system, we can see that it is currently a second-tier less-desirable source of information. The datasheets for the u-blox NEO-7 and NEO-8 chipsets do not specify the selection strategy between GPS and GLONASS. They likely see this as an uninteresting internal detail, or a competitive secret.

So at this time I can't find the DJI's preference for GPS over GLONASS specifically in the datasheets. It stands to reason (my reasoning at least) but it's not backed up by any evidence I could find this morning.

Hey guys, thought you would be interested to know that DJI is covering the repairs to my Mavic Pro. Short version, launched at dusk. All systems were go, sent up about 50 feet to see if I could lock onto a few more satellites. Not touching the sticks, suddenly got message the satellite positioning was off. Within seconds, Mavic was heading off on its own. Luckily there was a big tree nearby and it went right through the branches, busting up the props and it came crashing down. If not for the tree, I might still be looking for it. DJI's response was "warranty per flight data analysis". Happy to be getting it fixed under warranty, but still hoping to get answers as to the reason for the flyaway.

Are you talking about a warranty that you get with the Mavic or the DJI care refresh?

Devin

I just my put lil bird up for a few mins of flight and it jumped until it locked into gps mode, no issues with flying btw

Sent from [emoji211]

DJI is fixing under the standard warranty that comes with no extra cost. They already shipped it back to me but unfortunately it is still in UPS's possession.

Reporting back. My Mavic is back in my possession. No note from DJI or indication of what was fixed, just that it was repaired and tested. The remote controller appears new though. It came with the clear vinyl stickers on it. I am hoping a chat session will provide some answers as to why it suddenly went to "satellite positioning off" and flew off uncontrollable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas