DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Flyaway

Icondacarver

Reactions
Hi guys,

New member from the UK. Had my Mavic flyaway on 1st day of use, was demonstrating the RTH function, Mavic was over our heads and RTH location was set, I pressed RTH expecting it to come home as usual, instead it turned around and flew off in a straight line never to be seen again.

Here are the logs from the usual sites. Hope someone can help give an indication of where it was headed and most likely landed. Looks like it set a new home point and headed there.

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Are you sure your home point was properly set/registered prior to taking off from the new location today?

Yes it was as had done the up and down rookie thing a couple of times.

If you look at the Phantom log viewer, the drone decided to update its home point and set off there.

I have narrowed where it has gone and will head there now to see. Luckily it looks like a farmers field so it might have made a soft landing in some hay or trampled on by cows. :(

Wish me luck

Update, my little drone is safe back home.

As it seemed, it picked a random spot and made it as its home location. Went there and set itself down. Had to track down the farmer and his games keeper who was out shooting birds (gulp). Then we tracked through mud to my Mavic. It was cold and wet but still working once a new battery was plopped in.

I'm glad you lucked out. That must have been nerve-wracking.

Lets just say I have not felt this traumatised in my life. We initially thought it was heading away based on HealthyDrones as they showed distance to Home getting larger. I was trying to track where the battery would likely die but that led us to a major motorway with a thick 5 miles of forest beyond it :(

Luckily looked at Phantom log which showed the mileage was going down and we worked out it was heading to a new home point which was this random field in a farm.....the rest is history.

Might buy a lottery ticket today

Back before my first Mavic died a horrific death, I did the RTH function and it drifted off. I quickly switched to 'sports' mode and turned her lil disobedient butt right back around and manually landed her

Reactions: buzzlightyr
FYI, Casey says that DJI engineers report that the GPS map in the lower left of the phone image can be used to track the drone's location as long as the battery has power, even if it is underwater.

Update on my case. When I first lost it, I uploaded my logs to DJI who accepted responsibility was with the drone.

Well they sent me a new one. I now have 2 drone bodies, tested the original flyaway which seems to be working perfect but my dji refresh is now on the new one but have a spare Mavic :)

Update on my case. When I first lost it, I uploaded my logs to DJI who accepted responsibility was with the drone.

Well they sent me a new one. I now have 2 drone bodies, tested the original flyaway which seems to be working perfect but my dji refresh is now on the new one but have a spare Mavic :)

Hey, never look a gift horse in the mouth

Sounds like I need a harmless flyway to get a spare body [emoji23]

J/K - I think the stress might not be worth it, but glad it worked out for you!

Reactions: Icondacarver
Sounds like I need a harmless flyway to get a spare body [emoji23]

J/K - I think the stress might not be worth it, but glad it worked out for you!

:oops:

Oh believe me, my insides fell out when that little runt decided to bugger off during its maiden voyage. I could not look my GF in the eye and luckily the farmer was happy to not do any shooting till we had found it despite the fact we might unsettle the birds.

If I can get a controller from somewhere, I will have a backup setup.

Were you using an Android phone and do you know what version of the firmware your Mavic was using?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S