DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic - flying over Greece.

Ziggy01

Reactions
Just spent a month in Greece traveling around the mainland as well as Evia and Kythira, passing through customs in Singapore, Sydney, Istanbul, Athens and Manila with 3 batteries and zero issues. Customs had a few extra looks as it went through x-rays but absolutely no comments. Although I avoided flying it in Athens proper I managed to get some pretty cool shots over the monasteries in Meteora. The Greeks are generally laid back and nobody seemed particularly interested, let alone annoyed by my flying. Admittedly, I'm fairly conservative with my flights and tend not to go too close to other people.

Just though I'd share in case anyone is concerned about airport customs checks and lithium batteries, and Greece in particular.

Reactions: Koa and alexcannas
Good news! thanks for sharing, Would be nice to share meteora photos, its is an awesome place to get amazing footage..

Just spent a month in Greece traveling around the mainland as well as Evia and Kythira, passing through customs in Singapore, Sydney, Istanbul, Athens and Manila with 3 batteries and zero issues. Customs had a few extra looks as it went through x-rays but absolutely no comments. Although I avoided flying it in Athens proper I managed to get some pretty cool shots over the monasteries in Meteora. The Greeks are generally laid back and nobody seemed particularly interested, let alone annoyed by my flying. Admittedly, I'm fairly conservative with my flights and tend not to go too close to other people.

Just though I'd share in case anyone is concerned about airport customs checks and lithium batteries, and Greece in particular.
Thanks for sharing Ziggy01. I'll be in Kythira in the next couple of weeks. Did you file your application to the Greek aviation authorities to get approval? I know there's been talk about this from Hexagon and appreciate the info he provided. I've only got a couple of days before I head over to Greece and don't think I'll have time to go through the "paperwork". I was planning on taking it and go from there. I am prepared with lipo bags for my batteries when i take it on board. Like yourself and many others i am conservative with my flying and aware of my surroundings. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Just got back from Kefalonia having taken my Mavic Pro. There is no need to register or file flight plans. Rules are pretty much the same there as they are here in the UK. Ref no fly zones near airports, military installations, urban conurbations, large groups of people etc. The big difference is that you are technically not allowed to fly any distance beyond 50m in any direction away from yourself. That being above and below. However, showing common sense and choosing quieter times and places allows for some great locations to be had. I always kept line of sight or moved with the drone if the location allowed.
If you fly sympathetically you shouldn't have any problems. I declared the drone going out and coming back and was asked to unpack it before going through xray. Pretty straight forward and have some great recorded memories.

Thanks! I'm going to Athens (short time, probably no flights), Kos, Tilos, Chalki, Rhodes and a few other islands by sailboat in October. Glad to hear they are reasonable in Greece.

You can easily file a flight plan for flying further than 50m, even as a recreational flyer. It's a written out here:

https://dagr.hcaa.gr/docs/HCAA UAS Regulation.pdf

I just did it for a vacation and the people are super friendly and fast to respond. I was able to file for a two week period for a large area and got permission within a couple of days. Seems a lot of work at first but it's a nicer implementation than in many other countries like Belgium, where you are banned over 10m height and only allowed to fly over personal property.

If you can't answer the fields for registration or certification, no worries, they are not mandatory.

Reactions: Nathan Hoover
Oh yeah, and for the address: if you are sailing (like I was too) just note it and list your home address instead, that was fine with them.

Reactions: Nathan Hoover
Just got back from Kefalonia having taken my Mavic Pro. There is no need to register or file flight plans. Rules are pretty much the same there as they are here in the UK. Ref no fly zones near airports, military installations, urban conurbations, large groups of people etc. The big difference is that you are technically not allowed to fly any distance beyond 50m in any direction away from yourself. That being above and below. However, showing common sense and choosing quieter times and places allows for some great locations to be had. I always kept line of sight or moved with the drone if the location allowed.
If you fly sympathetically you shouldn't have any problems. I declared the drone going out and coming back and was asked to unpack it before going through xray. Pretty straight forward and have some great recorded memories.

Hi Rick,
Did you declare it during customs check ? I'll be heading to Greece end of this week. Don't think I'll be in time to fill up the application form as well. Heading to Athens and Santorini and will love to get some beautiful shots there.

Hi Rick,
Did you declare it during customs check ? I'll be heading to Greece end of this week. Don't think I'll be in time to fill up the application form as well. Heading to Athens and Santorini and will love to get some beautiful shots there.

I didn't declare the drone through customs but informed security staff when going through xray that I had electronic material: namely a DSLR and a drone. They asked me to remove all items out of their cases and seemed far more interested in the camera and lenses than they were in the drone.

You can easily file a flight plan for flying further than 50m, even as a recreational flyer. It's a written out here:

I just did it for a vacation and the people are super friendly and fast to respond. I was able to file for a two week period for a large area and got permission within a couple of days. Seems a lot of work at first but it's a nicer implementation than in many other countries like Belgium, where you are banned over 10m height and only allowed to fly over personal property.

If you can't answer the fields for registration or certification, no worries, they are not mandatory.

Couldn't get your link to work so I'm reposting the relevant links.

https://dagr.hcaa.gr/docs/HCAA_UAS_FLT_request_editable.pdf

The first link is the "Authorization Request for UAS (drone) flights".
I printed off the pictorial from this three page document to show that you are allowed to fly without registration or filing a flight plan in advance.

https://dagr.hcaa.gr/docs/DAGR_QS.pdf

The second link (above) is a quick start guide to application conventions and filing an application.

The third link are the actual regulations as delivered in September 2016 and effective from 01/01/2017

Drone Aware - GR

This last link contains a geographic map with associated layers of flying zones for the whole of Greece and its islands.

There is need to register and file flight plans but impossible if you are not Greek ;)
Really glad you had fun in Greece.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S