DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic front vision warning during flight 300 feet up in sun

jamgabbi

Reactions
Today I was flying around 300 feet up over an open reservoir open space in bright sun. And I got the Forward vision sensor Waring a couple of times.

I’m pretty sure the message was “ cannot move forward due to obstacle avoidance” or some vision sensor warning. The Mavic would not move for a moment until i rotated and the all was good.
could it be the super bright sun ?
I hope I am explaining it correctly
jimmy

Reactions: chazzm
This has been reported before that a bright sun can trigger the collision sensors.

Today I was flying around 300 feet up over an open reservoir open space in bright sun. And I got the Forward vision sensor Waring a couple of times.

I’m pretty sure the message was “ cannot move forward due to obstacle avoidance” or some vision sensor warning. The Mavic would not move for a moment until i rotated and the all was good.
could it be the super bright sun ?
I hope I am explaining it correctly
jimmy
Yes, it's a bug (or a feature depending on how you look at it). Quite a few users have reported this now and it has always been in very bright conditions with the sun either directly at the aircraft or obliquely accross one of the front obstacle sensing cameras.
Clearly the algorithms are flawed.
No doubt it will be addressed in the next incarnation of firmware. :)

Was about to open a new thread before I found this. Same thing here using the latest firmware. I was up about 350 and flying into the sun when I could no longer move forward. Thing is tho... this was like afternoon when the sun was still pretty high in the sky; not like flying directly into the sun an hour or two before sunset. I hope they fix this soon. Has anyone contacted tech support about this?

20161204_174722.jpg 20161204_172852.jpg Same problem I almost lost my new Mavic Pro trying to do a return to home. Mavic climbed to 400' before I could disable return to home. After a few hours of brain storming I came up with a solution Sun shades for the obstacle avoidance cameras see photos. Designed them with Solid works and printed them with my 3Dprinter. Tried them this morning and they work also do not interfere with the cameras. If anyone has a 3d printer I will send the STL file. You have to mirror it with the 3D printer app to make the opposite side. I sanded them a little and sprayed them with flat black paint.

Interesting. So you say they don't interrupt forward object avoidance. Can you explain how that is so, as it appears from the picture that these completely obstruct the forward sensors.

I'm not being critical, just trying to understand more about what you designed, because it's VERY exciting.

They don't look like they completely obstruct the sensors...just looks like they provide some shade to the sensors in the manner that a lens hood would for a camera lens. I'm interested in hearing some more results as to whether this takes complete care of the issue or not.

They do work and do not block the Object avoidance Camera see attached photo. I tested them yesterday and today with no problems. The sun no longer confuses the cameras and obstacle avoidance works great. If you have a 3d printer I will post the STL file. or I will mail a pair ready to install for $!2.00 this includes shipping and handling. PayPal or check PayPal account [email protected]20161205_120549.jpg

I am pretty certain it obscures some of the sensors' field of view based on the published angles.

Kilrah
I had no problems with obstacle avoidance using the sun shades. If they were in the cameras field of view would the camera not detect it as an object to avoid. If you look closely you will see the inside edges are beveled. If you want to test the sun shades I will send you a pair at no cost. Just email me your address. just use the one I posted as my Paypal account and I will mail you a pair to test.

They do work and do not block the Object avoidance Camera see attached photo. I tested them yesterday and today with no problems. The sun no longer confuses the cameras and obstacle avoidance works great. If you have a 3d printer I will post the STL file. or I will mail a pair ready to install for $!2.00 this includes shipping and handling. PayPal or check PayPal account [email protected]View attachment 2067

Is this solution still working well? Please post STL file. Many thanks

I have attached two zip files one is for the left side only the other is both sides. I used Cura to mirror and create both sides this file may not work with some 3d printers so you will have to mirror the Sun screen with your slicing software.

Attachments

• UM3_Mavic sun screen.zip
    801 bytes · Views: 10
  • UM3_Mavic sun screen_2x2.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 9
Still learning how to use 3d cad program finally found out how to mirror an object. So now have a left and right Sun shade in the same STL file. See attached zip file.
Jim H

Attachments

• UM3_Mavic sun screen 2X3.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 11
My brother had this very issue today and I'm sure I will have it too.... Did you mean $12? I think you have a typo up a few posts...

CactusJackSlade
Yes $12.00 for one set if you want 2 sets I will not charge for shipping and handling on the second set. For a total of $20.00 for 2 sets. If you want two set let me know and send me your mailing address to [email protected] this is also my paypal account.
Jim H.

Very interesting, how do they attach to the Mavic body ,with two sided tape?

I use very thin Sticky back vinyl on the out side only the vinyl sticks to the sun shades and the quad. no tape on the inside. works very well. It would be very easy to make some from thin cardboard or 1/16th in birch ply. Paint them with some flat black spray paint. Use some good quality vinyl tape about 2" wide available at any Ace hardware store to assemble and attach to Mavic Pro. See Photo20161206_131802.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU