DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic gone fishing

I'm not sure, but I think underwater flying might void your warantee. Great footage though. What ND filter do you use in fresh water? Did you have to adjust your rudder EXP?

I'm not sure, but I think underwater flying might void your warantee. Great footage though. What ND filter do you use in fresh water? Did you have to adjust your rudder EXP?

Hmm.. that might be.
I used the -16 sub-ND filter. It operated pretty well under water. A little too shallow though. Next time I'll try 2-3 meters instead.

/Thor

I'm amazed it continued to record for that long under water! Does it still work?

Reactions: Fedor1
I'm amazed it continued to record for that long under water! Does it still work?

It recorded for the whole two minutes it was under water, it just stopped streaming to the remote when it crashed. So I even have the recording of me picking it up again.

Took out the battery immediately and dried it on the bathroom floor over night. Turned it on this morning and everything seems to work. Haven't been able to fly yet since all the rotor blades are busted.

/Thor

It recorded for the whole two minutes it was under water, it just stopped streaming to the remote when it crashed. So I even have the recording of me picking it up again.

Took out the battery immediately and dried it on the bathroom floor over night. Turned it on this morning and everything seems to work. Haven't been able to fly yet since all the rotor blades are busted.

/Thor
Keep us posted on what happens next. It'll be a good learning experience!
What was the cause? Contact with a branch?

Keep us posted on what happens next. It'll be a good learning experience!
What was the cause? Contact with a branch?

Got a little side wind and it flew into some tall grass and probably branches on the left side.
Getting new rotors tomorrow, so I'll post an update.

/Thor

Reactions: Scottso
Hey Thor - I've read many times that making ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the entire unit is 100% dry is the key to success after a mavic bath. If you try to power it up with even the slightest bit of moisture it could fry a board.

If I were you, I would remove the battery and trash it. It probably won't work again anyway and could possibly do damage to the mavic. I'd call that a $90 loss. Second, I'd put the mavic in rice for 3 days straight, and resist the temptation to take it out any earlier. Then make sure that ALL of the little rice particles are clear - especially in the motors, before putting a new battery in and testing it in a wide open place (in case it goes crazy). That's what I would do. I've read some surprising success stories from people following these steps, including one where the mavic was underwater for about 1/2 hour.

Total repair:
New Props: $24
New Battery: $89
2 Bags of Rice: $3.69

Good luck to you and let us know how it turns out.

PS - Legend has it if you boil and eat the rice after using it, it makes you a much better pilot.

Reactions: Thor Hansen
Hey guys

Forgot to post an update, but after drying the drone for 3-4 days I fitted it with new props and a new battery and it works perfectly well.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll for sure be closer to the drone the next time I'm flying close to trees and bushes.

Regards
Thor

Reactions: Fedor1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost