DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic GPS Receiver Location

Teejay41

Reactions
Hi everyone. I'm a newbie to drone flying, having obtained my first DJI last autumn. It was a P4. Since then, in the spring, I bought a P4Pro and more recently a Mavic. So as you can see, I'm pretty well bitten by the bug. I would add that it is the photography and videography aspects of drones that really interest me, having formally trained and qualified in Photography in my youth, and have earned, or partially earned my living from Photography ever since.

I have a Trackimo device attached to the P4Pro, but in a quest to add similar drone recovery facilities to the Mavic, I have just bought a Loc8tor Lite and I intend to sticky-pad one of its electronic tags to the Mavic AC body. A suitable spot would be on the top surface just behind the battery (between the two forward motors when folded away). But it occurs to me that the GPS receiver/antenna might be under the casing surface at this spot and GPS signals become attenuated due to the presence of the Loc8tor device. For anyone not familiar with the Loc8tor, details can be found here: Loc8tor Lite additional tag

Does anyone know whereabouts the GPS system is installed within the Mavic's casing? I could then be sure to avoid masking it with the stick-on tag.

Thanks in anticipation,

Tony.

Reactions: Teejay41
I put a loc8tor very close to the gps, over the dji logo on the tail and had gps problems. Very risky because it can cause a fly away. Moved the loc8tor to one of the rear legs and no problems.

I put a loc8tor very close to the gps, over the dji logo on the tail and had gps problems. Very risky because it can cause a fly away. Moved the loc8tor to one of the rear legs and no problems.

Rear legs? I'm guess you have a landing gear add-on?

Many thanks, geigy, for your incredibly fast response. My fears were founded then, for that's exactly where I thought of attaching the loc8tor tag. If I put it on the Mavic's top surface forward of the battery, do you think that would be OK? I'm not keen on attaching to a leg as the contact surface will be relatively small, so in the event of a crash it could be thrown off, and it would also need to be detached each time to pack it away in its carry-case (an aftermarket thing, not the DJI box). Any further thoughts please?

Tony.

Reactions: svjakobs
Thanks FlyGuy8675309 for your reply. Yes, I do have the height extenders, but they're removed after each session in order to pack the drone away.

Tony.

This is how I attach the Loc8tor to my Mavic. The string attachment is a backup just in case of impact that tears the loc8tor loose from the Mavic.
23r1gxs.jpg

No issues with compass or GPS interference in this location.

Reactions: Teejay41 and Z953
Many thanks, geigy, for your incredibly fast response. My fears were founded then, for that's exactly where I thought of attaching the loc8tor tag. If I put it on the Mavic's top surface forward of the battery, do you think that would be OK? I'm not keen on attaching to a leg as the contact surface will be relatively small, so in the event of a crash it could be thrown off, and it would also need to be detached each time to pack it away in its carry-case (an aftermarket thing, not the DJI box). Any further thoughts please?

Tony.
The front should be OK.

I used double sided foam tape on the outside surface of one of the rear legs. It does not interfere with swinging the leg out, so just stays on all the time. Had it there for 55 flights and no problems with it falling off, or interfering with anything.

The front should be OK.

I used double sided foam tape on the outside surface of one of the rear legs. It does not interfere with swinging the leg out, so just stays on all the time. Had it there for 55 flights and no problems with it falling off, or interfering with anything.
What's the diameter of those Loc8tor tags? Even their website doesn't seem to mention it.

There are a couple of models. Mine are circular about 1" in diameter.

Reactions: PT_Mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike