DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mavic hit by trike in philippines

Status
Not open for further replies.

shb

Reactions
I was flying my Mavic near my house in the Philippines. . I was crossing the street at low altitude, 3 feet, in tripod mode. I saw a
trike. motorcycle with a sidecard, coming toward me. I turned sharper so I would cross the street faster.
I wasn't really worried because he could avoid me easily, but to my shock he hit my mavic. I was only
sitting around 50 feet away. It spun around and I lost control of it. It happed so fast, I don't remember exactly
what happed after the collision. My Mavic came toward me. I couldn't land it, and it ended up hitting me
and crashing to the ground. I wasn't hurt at all even though the propellers hit me while spinning.
I couldn't see any obvious damage to the mavic, but one of the arms had folded up. That's why I
couldn't control it after the crash. I've flown it 5 or 6 times since. There is no obvious sign of damage, but
who knows what subtle damage could of been to the gimbal assembly. It might now show up right away.
Unfortunately, you can't tell from the video if he hit me intentionally. The camera wasn't pointed at him.
But I highly suspect that it was intentional. These trike drivers have bad reputations. I've seen them run over
dogs intentionally, and they always cut off pedestrians. I'm sure he saw it and could of avoided it if he wanted
to.
I guess I learned my lesson, to watch out for them, and to fly higher over streets. Steve

I was flying my Mavic near my house in the Philippines. . I was crossing the street at low altitude, 3 feet, in tripod mode. I saw a
trike. motorcycle with a sidecard, coming toward me. I turned sharper so I would cross the street faster.
I wasn't really worried because he could avoid me easily, but to my shock he hit my mavic. I was only
sitting around 50 feet away. It spun around and I lost control of it. It happed so fast, I don't remember exactly
what happed after the collision. My Mavic came toward me. I couldn't land it, and it ended up hitting me
and crashing to the ground. I wasn't hurt at all even though the propellers hit me while spinning.
I couldn't see any obvious damage to the mavic, but one of the arms had folded up. That's why I
couldn't control it after the crash. I've flown it 5 or 6 times since. There is no obvious sign of damage, but
who knows what subtle damage could of been to the gimbal assembly. It might now show up right away.
Unfortunately, you can't tell from the video if he hit me intentionally. The camera wasn't pointed at him.
But I highly suspect that it was intentional. These trike drivers have bad reputations. I've seen them run over
dogs intentionally, and they always cut off pedestrians. I'm sure he saw it and could of avoided it if he wanted
to.
I guess I learned my lesson, to watch out for them, and to fly higher over streets. Steve

Man, I am so sorry, I hope your drone is ok.

Reactions: Lionfish and shb
No idea why someone would be flying at head height across a roadway where people are walking.

I'd consider yourself lucky that the drone was not damaged or that someone is not holding you liable for their injuries.

Actually your post title is wrong - it should read
“Trike hit by a mavic - piloted by someone with a distinct lack of safety awareness”

Get into the open and be safe . . . And enjoy . . .

Looked like an intentional hit to me.
Never mind the people that are better than you and their comments. Video and pictures are all about the angle. But realistically you could have got the same footage by hand carrying the Mavic while filming. The gimbal steadies it up fine that way too!
But I think he would have ran you over anyway. :D

Never mind the people that are better than you and their comments.

I guess that you're not in Philippines, and don't care about reputation here.
Drones are already tarnished after two students were apprehended flying their drone over President Duterte's private residence in Davao. They were offered the option of going to court, or 'donating' their drone to the city.

Ignore regulations, by all means (most people here won't have a clue anyway), but fly sensibly and don't antagonise people.

So , let me get this right.
You were flying your drone 3 feet high on a road (carriage way) that is used by cars, pedestrians and motorcycles and your drone was hit by someone or something that has a legal right to be on that road.

Reactions: lowellton
Stay above people. I bet he didn't even see the mavic, he was rolling fast and you could have gotten out of the way seeing how close you were and should be aware of your surroundings

What makes everyone think that the drone user has no rights to the same space as anyone else? If it was a RC car or helicopter it would be different? What about a pointy Kite?
Quit thinking that everyone else is too stupid to take care of themselves. It is up to each of us to decide how to use our own Mavics. Not recite laws that dont exist or confuse etiquette with legal responsibilities.

Sure, he could have flown somewhere better, I wouldnt have flown there. BUT people around you also need to be aware of their surroundings. after all, someone may be flying a drone around at head level, Or driving down the street with a wide load of boards with nails sticking out of them , Or walking a vicious dog, or there could be a manhole cover off. Even kids throwing a baseball are more of a threat than a loud drone that you can hear coming from 50 feet away.
Pedestrians have just as much or more responsibility to keep themselves out of harms way as a drone pilot has.
The guy on the trike, is just like the guy that threw a mavic in the ocean. a jerk.

People walking could heat it but a person on a motor bike 25 mph may not. If he stopped or kept rolling makes the difference

People walking could heat it but a person on a motor bike 25 mph may not. If he stopped or kept rolling makes the difference
In the video you can see the drone giving way to the right. Then you see the trike had to pull over closer to the pedestrians to get a hit on the drone.
The trike was the real danger here.

Not recite laws that dont exist
Errrr... Have you actually read the CAAP Rules and Regulations on drones?

If I understand correctly, those rules don't just apply to drones (quadcopters), but to any "Remotely Piloted Aircraft", so it's not a matter of drones being singled out for these controls.

With the sun low in the sky and trees, I bet he didn't even see it. Been to Phil many times and I know the trike drivers aren't the greatest but come on, flying three feet over a busy roadway is just plain dumb! It ain't moving fast in tripod mode. Intentional or not, and I don't think it was, you should not have been flying there at that altitude. Period. Let this be a lesson to all about the merits of good airmanship and judgment, or in this case, lack thereof.

Actually, the Philippine kids like it when I fly around them. They come over to me, and watch the video, and are laughing when I fly close to their friends. If I start to fly away, they tell me to bring it back. The only thing they don't like, is when it blows up dirt into their eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair