DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic makes me reconsider residential real estate clients...

Donnie Frank

Reactions
Hey doods!

Like most of you, when I first decided that I wanted to try to make a business out of my UAV, "real estate" was one of the first markets I explored. I started with the Phantom 1, which netted no telemetry data (this was at the forefront of telemetry technology), and FPV was only available through aftermarket hardware (goggles). Needless to say, flying was dicey business. With no battery or telemetry data, one had to know where one was in space. One had to keep track of one's flight time so you wouldn't run out of battery up there. The only way to know how much battery one had used during a given flight was to keep records of how many milliamps the battery took during the charging process, and compare that to how many minutes one had flown on that battery. It was a PITA, but out of hundreds of flights, I managed to run out of battery only twice.

For those of us coming out of 80's RC technology, "FPV" was a godsend. Despite the "archaic" flight characteristics of the P1 (relative to today's modern marvels), mine flew well and were rock-solid platforms. With a Hero 2 strapped to a pain-in-the-arse 2-axis gimbal, I sought out my fortune.

Like most of you, I quickly learned that the real estate market - specifically residential - was a bust. Potential clients were super interested until I told them it would cost them $50. FIFTY DOLLARS?!?!?

I quickly decided I wasn't going to work for < $100, so that blew the real estate market out of the water. Of the dozens of real estate agents who called, only THREE were willing to pay $100 for aerial photos.

The good news is that I quickly found the television commercial market (mostly car dealerships), web video market and commercial real estate markets. THOSE markets weren't exactly "lucrative," but the pay was good. I was able to ROI all my gear very quickly - about 2 months.

Fast Forward to July of last year. I re-invested my UAV profits into an Inspire 1, Gen 2. They went on sale for 33% off (marked down to $2K), so I decided to pull the trigger on one. I went from a Phantom 1/GoPro set up to arguably the most sophisticated drone of the day. The Inspire now allowed me pitch - and eventually work in - the film industry. This market always nets really nice invoices. I was able to ROI the Inspire in just 2 jobs. Needless to say, the residential real estate market was long gone. I still get those calls, but I just politely decline.

Next big jump for me was automated flight. This opened up the mapping market. This wasn't quite as lucrative as the film industry, but it was a good market. Imagine programming missions at home, and hitting a button on site to fly said mission?? It's a miracle!! It's easy and phun.

Fast Forward to earlier this month. After doing a ton of research (thanks largely to this forum), I finally decided that the Mavic Pro MIGHT make a good addition to my UAV arsennal. As much as I love the Inspire 1, and as uber reliable as she's been (literally zero issues in over 70 hours of flight), she's a bit much for mapping gigs. The relatively short flight times (13 min @ my elevation of 5500' via TB48), meant that I would have to change batteries in the middle of the mission - sometimes several times. And the relatively wide FOV of the X3 camera (94° I believe), meant that in order to achieve the coveted 1"/pixel resolution, I would have to fly relatively low @ 165' AGL. This meant the bird was clearly seen and heard by anyone within 1500' of the beast. Read: Obnoxious to those already caught up in all the drone propaganda that all we want to do is spy on sun bathers. But I digress.

So...in a stroke of genius, I thought I would run a few mapping tests using the Mavic. I mapped a field near my house and handed off the photos to my business partner who does all the Pix4D stuff. He got back to me, "These look good. But until I can actually process the photos against GCP's (Ground Control Points - usually set by a survey team), I can't really say for sure if these photos will work."

So I found an apartment complex that we had recently mapped, and remapped it with the Mavic. I was almost able to do the whole job on one battery. This, compared to the THREE batteries I used with my Inspire 1. I'm still waiting on the results, but my partner says that the tolerances look good. So I'm hopeful.

4 things I really like about the Mavic for mapping:

1) Longer flight times means we can take on larger areas.
2) Because of the narrower FOV (72° I believe), she flies @ 240 AGL (instead of 165 AGL). This naturally makes the drone harder to see and hear.
3) Because the thing is so small (and higher altitude), nobody is bothered or even notice the Mavic
4) MUCH easier to deploy.

The thing I really hate about the Mavic for mapping...

The caveat is the focusable lens. I've already been bitten TWICE by out-of-focus photos. I can't just "launch and go." Because you can't access "focus buttons" from the GS Pro app, I have to launch with Go4 app, FOCUS, then switch to the GS Pro app and fly the mission. The C1 button I programmed for focus doesn't work in the GS Pro app. Even worse, you can't have both apps open at the same time, as they seem to "fight for attention." The result is a VERY buggy experience. Focus-wise, if you just launch and go, the lens seems to be focused on objects 2 meters away. So, unless one is diligent, photos are as blurry as they could possibly be. Hopefully, DJI will address this shortcoming and create a work-around or a fix of some sort.

"Hey Donnie...I thought this thread was about residential real estate???" I know...sorry...

So a couple weeks ago I get a call from one of my first customers ever...I think he was actually my second customer. He was one of the only real estate customers that wanted video instead of photos. He asks, "Donnie...are you still doing real-estate???" My knee-jerk reaction was to say, "No," and just leave it at that. But Joe was one of my first customers, and was always loyal to High Flight Media (my company). What I liked about Joe was he always paid in cash, and never tried to talk me down from my original $100 fee. Before answering, I looked at my calendar, and it was wide open that week. So instead of rejecting Joe, I said, "I don't really do residential any more, but for you, Joe, I'll do it. Whataya got?" Joe replied, "Is your price still $100??" Again, for Joe, I said, "Sure....but just for you, Joe. Don't go telling your friends."

Joe had SIX houses he wanted shot @ $100/each. Okay....$600 is a good day. I can do that. I grabbed my drones and met Joe @ property #1. When finished, I moved the video to his thumb drive and he handed me $100. He says, "I have to apologize. The other properties aren't ready yet. They should be ready tomorrow."

Long story short, a week goes by and Joe calls, "Can you shoot 2 properties tomorrow??", which was yesterday. Joe couldn't be there. As I already purported, I usually shoot these things with my Inspire 1. But for grins, I decided to bring along the Mavic to see if it would be "cinematic" enough for my taste. I turned off all the Obstacle Avoidance stuff, and here's what I noticed:

1) The thing took off and landed much more predictably. Instead of doing that weird stop to "examine the landing area" thing, she just plopped down. Much better, IMHO.
2) I could now hand catch and hand launch, which is very useful if there's nothing but dirt around.
3) I was able to just barely miss trees and bushes for some nice depth-of-field and forced perspective effects.
4) I loved how quickly the thing set up (compared to the Inspire).
5) I loved how quiet the Mavic is (compared to the Inspire).
6) I love how diminutive it is (nobody notices, nobody's bothered).

Needless to say, the footage looks pretty good. I wouldn't use it for feature films, but it looks "good enough" for real estate.

As I stated earlier, I purposely got out of the residential real estate market because I thought it was too much work for $100 and pain in the *** dealing with people. The Mavic may have changed all that. I can be in and out of there and get all my shots on 1 battery. Deployment is super easy (compared to the Inspire). And if I'm in a remote location, I can hand launch and catch.

In a nutshell, because of the Mavic, I may get back into residential real estate. I was really impressed how easy it was to get the shots I needed.

During the last shoot, I reminisced with my GF (who is also my spotter) about the huge contrast between the Phantom 1 days vs. this Mavic. She agreed that it was a night and day experience.

I honestly purchased the Mavic for indoor shooting, but it looks like this little bugger may not only make my mapping gigs easier (especially if DJI can work past this focus issue), but it may re-open a market I had abandoned years ago.

D

Last edited:
Thanks for Sharing. Interesting that they would not spend $100 to get video footage given the commission involved in a good home sale and how much a video can take a listing over the top. One thing to keep in mind is that drones are so prevalent that many photographers doing real estate have them now as well... I have not seen any listings with videos, but most I see do have areal shot of the home/property. They really add to a listing.

Would the litchi app help? I am new and just digging into it, but I think Litchi will let you focus easily and it does mapping for those mapping jobs you do....

Reactions: Chahk
If you have the X3 on your I1 it's really got nothing over the Mavic, quite the opposite actually. The I1 is only useful with an X5.

If you haven't found him already, you might want to check out and maybe contact Dronr on YouTube - he's a commercial UAV pilot with lots of experience who does his YT videos on the side; he's done several on the experience of doing it for a living. Like you, he has almost everything DJI has made in his hanger.

Reactions: Rocky
I've been using the Mavic for real estate work for nearly a year now... the perfect tool. I have two other commercial drones and never use them. I also use the Mavic in a hand-held rig for walk-throughs... one machine does it all, in 4k!

As for your fee, it seems a little low, especially for video where post processing is a thing.

Thanks for Sharing. Interesting that they would not spend $100 to get video footage given the commission involved in a good home sale and how much a video can take a listing over the top. One thing to keep in mind is that drones are so prevalent that many photographers doing real estate have them now as well... I have not seen any listings with videos, but most I see do have areal shot of the home/property. They really add to a listing.

Would the litchi app help? I am new and just digging into it, but I think Litchi will let you focus easily and it does mapping for those mapping jobs you do....

I live in N.M., which is NOT a rich state. So, yeah, the residential real estate market is not a good drone market. That said, I've done VERY well in the commercial real estate market.

I have not used Litch. I would not use it for mapping or videography or photography. Sans the focus issue I spoke of earlier, the free DJI apps work well. The POI works really well for the Mavic. That said... I use Autopilot for a construction client. For this client, I need consistency of flight pattern AND camera angle. Autopilot works well for this.

D

I agree with @Robert Mitchell - you're not charging enough. I too shot (past tense) many real estate videos, but had to move away from it because realtors are the cheapest bunch of freaks on the planet. I wouldn't touch a job for less than $250, with $350-$500 being my regular price. Even at these rates, I stayed very busy. Once realtors compared my work to that of the $50-$100 "videographers", they understood the price difference. After dealing with my share of realtors who continually tried to talk me down to a price of $50, I let future realtors know that I was only shooting "high-end" properties from now on. This weeded out the super-cheapos, and allowed me to make a living. I've been a professional videographer since 2004. The work that goes into post production is extensive - and $100 just ain't gonna cut it.

I guess my point is as relevant to me, as your post is relevant to you. It's all good. But try to avoid controlling a general conversation <-- like I just did...

<sigh>...C'mon, man.... Your point regarding "I won't work for that" is completely irrelevant. If you read my original post, YOU WOULD KNOW that I don't "work for that" either!! It's like I posted, "I don't like Cadillacs, so I sold mine and haven't purchased one since. And you come back with, "Oh...I won't drive Cadillacs." Well...yeah...neither do I!! But ya gotta read the original post. Please don't be "that guy" in the forum.

... One thing to keep in mind is that drones are so prevalent that many photographers doing real estate have them now as well... I have not seen any listings with videos, but most I see do have areal shot of the home/property. ...

Another problem is that many realtors now just figure they'll buy a drone and do their own aerials. Even when told they should have a 107 licence, there seems to be little concern even though it's absolutely a commercial use. Not much enforcement of the rules that I've see.

One thing I found that works for real estate - if you are an experienced photographer already, promise inside, outside and aerial perspective. I've been charging $200 for that (NO video - that adds $100 to the price for just exterior video) with no push back. Not everyone wants it and I stress the fact that we are part 107 certified and insured and I educate realtors on what the penalties are for those who are not certified. The images I get beat any realtor who has a camera and just picks up a drone. On top of that? My wife (spotter and part 107 certified herself) 'stages' the indoor shots. Not that we bring in furniture and everything, but we move things around, take out the obvious no - no's and all. It makes for a nice, inexpensive, comprehensive package that seems to be popular. Is it for everyone? Nope, but enough realtors sign up in order to allow me to buy mama a new pair of shoes every once in awhile :)

I found your post very interesting. I would also like to work the real estate industry - eventually if and when the FAA approves my air space authorization for class B miami. I was also intrigued that you worked in the film industry, it would be great if you could share on how you broke into that niche and if one could make a living doing that. Thanks for sharing

Hey doods!

Like most of you, when I first decided that I wanted to try to make a business out of my UAV, "real estate" was one of the first markets I explored. I started with the Phantom 1, which netted no telemetry data (this was at the forefront of telemetry technology), and FPV was only available through aftermarket hardware (goggles). Needless to say, flying was dicey business. With no battery or telemetry data, one had to know where one was in space. One had to keep track of one's flight time so you wouldn't run out of battery up there. The only way to know how much battery one had used during a given flight was to keep records of how many milliamps the battery took during the charging process, and compare that to how many minutes one had flown on that battery. It was a PITA, but out of hundreds of flights, I managed to run out of battery only twice.

For those of us coming out of 80's RC technology, "FPV" was a godsend. Despite the "archaic" flight characteristics of the P1 (relative to today's modern marvels), mine flew well and were rock-solid platforms. With a Hero 2 strapped to a pain-in-the-arse 2-axis gimbal, I sought out my fortune.

Like most of you, I quickly learned that the real estate market - specifically residential - was a bust. Potential clients were super interested until I told them it would cost them $50. FIFTY DOLLARS?!?!?

I quickly decided I wasn't going to work for < $100, so that blew the real estate market out of the water. Of the dozens of real estate agents who called, only THREE were willing to pay $100 for aerial photos.

The good news is that I quickly found the television commercial market (mostly car dealerships), web video market and commercial real estate markets. THOSE markets weren't exactly "lucrative," but the pay was good. I was able to ROI all my gear very quickly - about 2 months.

Fast Forward to July of last year. I re-invested my UAV profits into an Inspire 1, Gen 2. They went on sale for 33% off (marked down to $2K), so I decided to pull the trigger on one. I went from a Phantom 1/GoPro set up to arguably the most sophisticated drone of the day. The Inspire now allowed me pitch - and eventually work in - the film industry. This market always nets really nice invoices. I was able to ROI the Inspire in just 2 jobs. Needless to say, the residential real estate market was long gone. I still get those calls, but I just politely decline.

Next big jump for me was automated flight. This opened up the mapping market. This wasn't quite as lucrative as the film industry, but it was a good market. Imagine programming missions at home, and hitting a button on site to fly said mission?? It's a miracle!! It's easy and phun.

Fast Forward to earlier this month. After doing a ton of research (thanks largely to this forum), I finally decided that the Mavic Pro MIGHT make a good addition to my UAV arsennal. As much as I love the Inspire 1, and as uber reliable as she's been (literally zero issues in over 70 hours of flight), she's a bit much for mapping gigs. The relatively short flight times (13 min @ my elevation of 5500' via TB48), meant that I would have to change batteries in the middle of the mission - sometimes several times. And the relatively wide FOV of the X3 camera (94° I believe), meant that in order to achieve the coveted 1"/pixel resolution, I would have to fly relatively low @ 165' AGL. This meant the bird was clearly seen and heard by anyone within 1500' of the beast. Read: Obnoxious to those already caught up in all the drone propaganda that all we want to do is spy on sun bathers. But I digress.

So...in a stroke of genius, I thought I would run a few mapping tests using the Mavic. I mapped a field near my house and handed off the photos to my business partner who does all the Pix4D stuff. He got back to me, "These look good. But until I can actually process the photos against GCP's (Ground Control Points - usually set by a survey team), I can't really say for sure if these photos will work."

So I found an apartment complex that we had recently mapped, and remapped it with the Mavic. I was almost able to do the whole job on one battery. This, compared to the THREE batteries I used with my Inspire 1. I'm still waiting on the results, but my partner says that the tolerances look good. So I'm hopeful.

4 things I really like about the Mavic for mapping:

1) Longer flight times means we can take on larger areas.
2) Because of the narrower FOV (72° I believe), she flies @ 240 AGL (instead of 165 AGL). This naturally makes the drone harder to see and hear.
3) Because the thing is so small (and higher altitude), nobody is bothered or even notice the Mavic
4) MUCH easier to deploy.

The thing I really hate about the Mavic for mapping...

The caveat is the focusable lens. I've already been bitten TWICE by out-of-focus photos. I can't just "launch and go." Because you can't access "focus buttons" from the GS Pro app, I have to launch with Go4 app, FOCUS, then switch to the GS Pro app and fly the mission. The C1 button I programmed for focus doesn't work in the GS Pro app. Even worse, you can't have both apps open at the same time, as they seem to "fight for attention." The result is a VERY buggy experience. Focus-wise, if you just launch and go, the lens seems to be focused on objects 2 meters away. So, unless one is diligent, photos are as blurry as they could possibly be. Hopefully, DJI will address this shortcoming and create a work-around or a fix of some sort.

"Hey Donnie...I thought this thread was about residential real estate???" I know...sorry...

So a couple weeks ago I get a call from one of my first customers ever...I think he was actually my second customer. He was one of the only real estate customers that wanted video instead of photos. He asks, "Donnie...are you still doing real-estate???" My knee-jerk reaction was to say, "No," and just leave it at that. But Joe was one of my first customers, and was always loyal to High Flight Media (my company). What I liked about Joe was he always paid in cash, and never tried to talk me down from my original $100 fee. Before answering, I looked at my calendar, and it was wide open that week. So instead of rejecting Joe, I said, "I don't really do residential any more, but for you, Joe, I'll do it. Whataya got?" Joe replied, "Is your price still $100??" Again, for Joe, I said, "Sure....but just for you, Joe. Don't go telling your friends."

Joe had SIX houses he wanted shot @ $100/each. Okay....$600 is a good day. I can do that. I grabbed my drones and met Joe @ property #1. When finished, I moved the video to his thumb drive and he handed me $100. He says, "I have to apologize. The other properties aren't ready yet. They should be ready tomorrow."

Long story short, a week goes by and Joe calls, "Can you shoot 2 properties tomorrow??", which was yesterday. Joe couldn't be there. As I already purported, I usually shoot these things with my Inspire 1. But for grins, I decided to bring along the Mavic to see if it would be "cinematic" enough for my taste. I turned off all the Obstacle Avoidance stuff, and here's what I noticed:

1) The thing took off and landed much more predictably. Instead of doing that weird stop to "examine the landing area" thing, she just plopped down. Much better, IMHO.
2) I could now hand catch and hand launch, which is very useful if there's nothing but dirt around.
3) I was able to just barely miss trees and bushes for some nice depth-of-field and forced perspective effects.
4) I loved how quickly the thing set up (compared to the Inspire).
5) I loved how quiet the Mavic is (compared to the Inspire).
6) I love how diminutive it is (nobody notices, nobody's bothered).

Needless to say, the footage looks pretty good. I wouldn't use it for feature films, but it looks "good enough" for real estate.

As I stated earlier, I purposely got out of the residential real estate market because I thought it was too much work for $100 and pain in the *** dealing with people. The Mavic may have changed all that. I can be in and out of there and get all my shots on 1 battery. Deployment is super easy (compared to the Inspire). And if I'm in a remote location, I can hand launch and catch.

In a nutshell, because of the Mavic, I may get back into residential real estate. I was really impressed how easy it was to get the shots I needed.

During the last shoot, I reminisced with my GF (who is also my spotter) about the huge contrast between the Phantom 1 days vs. this Mavic. She agreed that it was a night and day experience.

I honestly purchased the Mavic for indoor shooting, but it looks like this little bugger may not only make my mapping gigs easier (especially if DJI can work past this focus issue), but it may re-open a market I had abandoned years ago.

D
I am currently obtaining my commercial liscense. You scared me at first cause i was getting alot of feedback from realtors about work when my liscense is complete. I love my mavic and have logged over 150 hrs in the maui rain forest of Hana and have come back to make a bussiness. Any tips you can through me would be super helpful. Thanks and happy flying.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas