DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic / Mavic 2 Battery pack rebuild

Big-Foot

Reactions
I wish I had what everybody else is looking for, but I am also looking for info on how to disassemble the batteries for my Mavic 2 birds so I can rebuild them with new cells.
I’ve worked on many different battery packs from various tool vendors and am well aware of the dangers involved with disassembling Lion and Lipo batteries.
IE - Don’t do this at home and if you do, make sure you’re either outside or in an area where you can contain a potential fire.
I’ve got a half dozen of these to work with, most of which have swelled or swollen to the point where it causes great strain on the locking tabs.

So with that, I’ll open this up to the brain trust here for positive comments, links, info...
Thank you

Reactions: mdrm_mavpilot
I wish I had what everybody else is looking for, but I am also looking for info on how to disassemble the batteries for my Mavic 2 birds so I can rebuild them with new cells.
I’ve worked on many different battery packs from various tool vendors and am well aware of the dangers involved with disassembling Lion and Lipo batteries.
IE - Don’t do this at home and if you do, make sure you’re either outside or in an area where you can contain a potential fire.
I’ve got a half dozen of these to work with, most of which have swelled or swollen to the point where it causes great strain on the locking tabs.

So with that, I’ll open this up to the brain trust here for positive comments, links, info...
Thank you
You might also consider getting DJI to replace them for free. They just replaced mine, despite the fact that they initially declined, due to being out of warranty, based upon a claimed activation date in Dec of 2018! Swollen batteries are in a separate category that you can have escalated.

You might also consider getting DJI to replace them for free. They just replaced mine, despite the fact that they initially declined, due to being out of warranty, based upon a claimed activation date in Dec of 2018! Swollen batteries are in a separate category that you can have escalated.

I've not heard of DJI covering the batteries like this - How did you do this ???
Thanks!

I've not heard of DJI covering the batteries like this - How did you do this ???
Thanks!
Sent in two M2 batteries separately under different case numbers, with receipts from purchase for 3 batteries 5 months ago. One was dead and wouldn't light up or charge. The second was badly swollen, but still electrically fine. They immediately replaced the first one. They declined replacement of the second, saying out of warranty, as they claimed activated Dec 2018, which was impossible, as it was bought after that. I escalated via chat, and they said if it was swollen, even if out of the 6 mo warranty, that it was handled differently. Next day, they agreed to replace it, too. Just don't take no for an answer!

Reactions: Big-Foot
so I can rebuild them with new cells

The first deal is to find out those specific cells to fit by electrical characteristics and by dimensions with genuine one. As you already know DJI M2P battery equipt with 3.85V (4.40V at Full Charge) LiPoHV cells so you could not use standard LiPo's instead of them. The next thing is current drawing rates (CDR) for the cells which should be not less then 10C as drone is high current consumer with up to 25A demands.

Then you should have Texas Instruments EV2400 programming board and bq9003 configuration software to reset cycle counter and Full Charged Capacity to factory values otherwise charge percentage would be wrongly calculated if previous cells history not cleared from BMS flash memory.

The first deal is to find out those specific cells to fit by electrical characteristics and by dimensions with genuine one. As you already know DJI M2P battery equipt with 3.85V (4.40V at Full Charge) LiPoHV cells so you could not use standard LiPo's instead of them. The next thing is current drawing rates (CDR) for the cells which should be not less then 10C as drone is high current consumer with up to 25A demands.

Then you should have Texas Instruments EV2400 programming board and bq9003 configuration software to reset cycle counter and Full Charged Capacity to factory values otherwise charge percentage would be wrongly calculated if previous cells history not cleared from BMS flash memory.
where i can buy this ev2400 and bq9003 software tool for mavic 2 pro/zoom? give me the link or referrence please..

In no way am I trying to diminish the DYI spirit, but it seems like by the time you source the proper cells and the programming board, software, etc. and the time to rebuild it, wouldn't it be easier to just buy a new battery?

To be completely transparent, I also am looking at it from the "piece of mind" standpoint that if I buy a new battery, I feel pretty confident that it is going to work properly. I don't necessarily have that much confidence in my own skills to rebuild it properly and then send my drone aloft with my rebuilt battery to find out the hard way how good of a job I did.

Again, I totally salute everyone who has the skills and expertise to do this properly.

A great bit of information that you can reach out to DJI if you have batteries that swell for a possible replacement.

wouldn't it be easier to just buy a new battery?
Of course it's much easier and even cheaper for ordinary pilots having in view special skills and expensive equipment is required for such sort of works.
But what if your drone fleet consists of 15 Inspire 1 birds for which batteries no longer produced by Dji. The only solution is to rebuilt the packs by new cells and reprogram the boards. Well it could be done by specialized workshops who has required tools. In turn it will be even cost-effective as one rebuilt battery will cost about 60% the price of new.

Of course it's much easier and even cheaper for ordinary pilots having in view special skills and expensive equipment is required for such sort of works.
But what if your drone fleet consists of 15 Inspire 1 birds for which batteries no longer produced by Dji. The only solution is to rebuilt the packs by new cells and reprogram the boards. Well it could be done by specialized workshops who has required tools. In turn it will be even cost-effective as one rebuilt battery will cost about 60% the price of new.
I am wondering as you have the equipment and expertise, do you offer rebuild packs for the public or services to do so for clients...seems that there is no shortage of prospective clients that would welcome your service. :)

That makes sense... if you can no longer source the batteries your options are obviously limited. Again, I have a ton of admiration for anyone with the skill to rebuild their own batteries!

I have just one Inspire 2 (along with Mavics) and the cost of batteries and keeping everything else airworthy is not cheap! The thought of supporting 15... ouch!

Check private messages. Have sent links there.
Please consider for one battery it make no sense. Cost of equipment is much higher.
Just buy new battery and be happy!)

Reactions: lee82gx

Hi, I have a mavic 2 pro battery that is fine in every way but stops charging after 30 seconds. I suppose if I had patience to take it off charger each time, do.one sbort press and one long one to switch it off and then put it back on charger a couple hundred times I would charge it fully and could fly on it. I got it charged to 37% like that. It started after an intensive flight that ran it down to 14%. It got hot and smelt burnt electronics.

Is there anything useful I can do with it? Like remove all cells add an XT60 connector and use it as empty shell to plug in a generic 4S LiPoHV batt? I have a charger for those as I also have a diy FPV drone.

Thx!

Hi, I have a mavic 2 pro battery that is fine in every way but stops charging after 30 seconds
Darn, I now have two such batteries. Just what is going on? No intensive flight, no discharge bellow 45%, no burnt electronics smell. Why did my 2nd battery develop such behaviour after a normal casual flight? I let it cool down for 30-60 minutes, put on original charger, then took it off to fiddle with the button and check what charge level it reports, then put it back on charger. Was that my error? Taking it off?

I am left with just one operational battery, a few days ago I had three..

Darn, I now have two such batteries. Just what is going on? No intensive flight, no discharge bellow 45%, no burnt electronics smell. Why did my 2nd battery develop such behaviour after a normal casual flight? I let it cool down for 30-60 minutes, put on original charger, then took it off to fiddle with the button and check what charge level it reports, then put it back on charger. Was that my error? Taking it off?

I am left with just one operational battery, a few days ago I had three..
Maybe the charger is now defective and is shorting out the batteries? A bad battery can ruin a good charger, which can then ruin other good batteries.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest