DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini 1

Both drone models you mention use the same control app ... DJI FLY. Features & settings can, depending on connected drone, differ though.

It's lately been a lot of discussions regarding that the DJI apps doesn't becomes updated in Google Play or in the App Store.

In my Google Play (Android) the DJI FLY app shows up (meaning my phone is compatible with the app...) but the latest version is 1.2.1 & that's an old version by now.

Going here --> Mavic Mini - Downloads - DJI you instead can download the app & side load it to your mobile device ... here the version is 1.2.4.

Last edited:
If it is a new model phone and has at least 3GB installed RAM, it should be compatible.

If it's an older model, then it might not be.

Thanks. Have just realised that my new phone is not compatible (drat).
Not that it is any consolation but you are not the first to be caught out by this and I doubt you will be the last. If you old phone is still otherwise perfectly servicable, have a look on ebay for compatible 2nd hand phones.
Also consider carefully whether you want Android or IOS, phone or tablet.
Meaning no offence but if your age is correct a tablet might be better as they generally have bigger screens and ask on here about any screen device you are considering.

Not that it is any consolation but you are not the first to be caught out by this and I doubt you will be the last. If you old phone is still otherwise perfectly servicable, have a look on ebay for compatible 2nd hand phones.
Also consider carefully whether you want Android or IOS, phone or tablet.
Meaning no offence but if your age is correct a tablet might be better as they generally have bigger screens and ask on here about any screen device you are considering.
Thanks for all that. Yes, my age is correct. I will brood on it until after lockdown. In meantime start saving my pennies. It seems sad that you have to buy an expensive phone which will get very little use for an occasional hobby. Stay safe all.

....... ennies. It seems sad that you have to buy an expensive phone.......
I agree which is why I went for the 2nd phone route. A samsung S6 cost me £70 to £90, I can't remember the exact price and not exactly cheap but a lot less than a new phone.
Unfortunately I don't think I'd get so lucky with a tablet but maybe I will have a look.
Android has the advantage ( for me) that I need not install the latest version of the app BUT has the disadvantage that it draws 0.5 amp from the controller and the MM has a 'small' battery in its controller.
Apple stuff does not have the current drain but you are forced to install the latest version of the app at the time you install it. The latest version 1.2.4 or maybe 1.2.5 may be a resource hog which requires a relatively fast, powerful and therefore more recent and therefore more expensive screen device.

Reactions: Viewfinder
I agree which is why I went for the 2nd phone route. A samsung S6 cost me £70 to £90, I can't remember the exact price and not exactly cheap but a lot less than a new phone.
Unfortunately I don't think I'd get so lucky with a tablet but maybe I will have a look.
Android has the advantage ( for me) that I need not install the latest version of the app BUT has the disadvantage that it draws 0.5 amp from the controller and the MM has a 'small' battery in its controller.
Apple stuff does not have the current drain but you are forced to install the latest version of the app at the time you install it. The latest version 1.2.4 or maybe 1.2.5 may be a resource hog which requires a relatively fast, powerful and therefore more recent and therefore more expensive screen device.
Thanks again. All interesting and relevant stuff. I did go that route; bought a used Samsung S7 and the battery died on me after 6 months, so have decided not to go second hand again - hence the new LG 42 which proved incompatible. The story of my life I'm afraid. Keep on taking the tablets........

• Sad
Reactions: Viewfinder
I agree with what others have said, that a relatively cheap tablet is the best choice. I use a Lenovo tablet that cost about £75 on Amazon and it runs DJI Go for my Phantom 3 and DJI Fly for my Mavic Mini and the display gives my 74 year old eyes a lot more information than my phone does.

I agree with what others have said, that a relatively cheap tablet is the best choice. I use a Lenovo tablet that cost about £75 on Amazon and it runs DJI Go for my Phantom 3 and DJI Fly for my Mavic Mini and the display gives my 74 year old eyes a lot more information than my phone does.
Thanks for all your comments and support.

I just sold my Phantom 3 Advanced and bought a Mavic Mini (not the M2). Am I right, I should be trying to download the DJI Fly app, NOT the DJI GO app? At the moment I can't get either of them to load on to my phone (Samsung A21s) but I'll get there in the end, just don't want to waste time getting the wrong app to download!

Yes... & the latest version is on DJI's web site, not in Google Play. Your device needs to be a full 64bit device to be compatible.
Thanks.
I have now managed to get the Fly app installed from the DJI site.
In case anyone else finds this thread in a search I have Android 10 on a Samsung A21s (which is 64-bit even though Samsung's own website doesn't tell you this in the specs) and I found the procedure to install an APK is this:
  1. Go to the DJI site (or use DJI's QR code in the manual)
  2. Download the Fly app
  3. Don't try and run it or do anything else on the screen which you used to download the app
  4. Go to Home screen> My files> APK installation files> Download> then tap on the DJI Fly .apk and read the options carefully to grant the necessary permissions for the .apk to be installed.
This will be old news to most people but I had to work it out from scratch and someone else may find it useful.

I can't see what version of the DJI Fly app has been installed - where is that info?

Reactions: vivalacoulter
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MacPilot55