DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC MINI 2 CRASH AND BURN SOON AFTER FIRMWARE UPDATE - TOTAL LOSS - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 154956

CRASH - LOSS OF CONTROL - Okay, this was one of my first flights on the Mini 2 since the recent firmware update. Before today's crash, I logged 76 miles and 842 minutes of flight time on this Mini 2 without a single hiccup or incident. I was coming in for a landing when the Mini 2 suddenly shuddered, gained altitude and flew over roof (missed hitting it) and out over the street when it again shuddered, flipped upside down then fell to the street where it was promptly run over by traffic! Help! I need to know how to upload the data to the crash website somehow. This is my first crash and I'm not familiar at all on how to do this. Thanks in advance for your help. You can FF to the 2:20 second mark to watch the approach to landing.IMG_3051.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll need to post a flight log for that, go to section 3 below to find it if unsure.
Post up either the phantomhelp or airdata url, or the txt.

Sad to see the damage, but getting run over is probably the most extreme damage a drone can get.
Suppose no damage to any vehicles (?) is at least some consolation.

Hope it can be worked out ok, maybe there is still some warranty / refresh, or DJI might help with a discount if the diagnosis is finding an aircraft / firmware fault.

No, the cars came after the drone was lying in the street. It was run over by quite a few cars before I could retrieve it.

Here's the flight log link:

Here's the text file to save time...

I'm not spending ant time looking inside the logs, I'll leave that for others. But no/poor GPS probably plays into it, along with poor RC connection, ATTI mode is a pain to fly. Based on video evidence will hazard a guess a bird or perhaps rock may also be involved; the initial bump and turn when coming in followed by the odd escape maneuver then a few moments of normal flight, followed by a harder hit or thrown prop and then the inversion and flips to the ground. Or, it could be user feedback chasing a run-a-way drone in ATTI.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2022-03-27_[16-51-32].txt
    908.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Here's the flight log link:
There's a problem matching the drone's flight to your description of the incident.
You flew around and eventually reached a height of around 170 ft and started descending at 4:01.1, about 200 ft from the homepoint.
You brought it down close to ground level, under control and 87 ft from the homepoint at 4:16.9.

But after that the altitude data doesn't make any sense.
The indicated altitude decreases at a rate that's not believable, and the indicated height goes down to -1500 ft.
All this time, the speed, distance and joystick inputs indicate the drone was still flying until about 4:31 when the pitch, roll and yaw data suggest a crash impact.

I can only guess that there was a malfunction of the altitude sensor and possibly some other components.

If the drone was less than 12 months old, this looks like a warranty issue and you should synch the flight data and chat with DJI's online support to start a case.

There's a problem matching the drone's flight to your description of the incident.
You flew around and eventually reached a height of around 170 ft and started descending at 4:01.1, about 200 ft from the homepoint.
You brought it down close to ground level, under control and 87 ft from the homepoint at 4:16.9.

But after that the altitude data doesn't make any sense.
The indicated altitude decreases at a rate that's not believable, and the indicated height goes down to -1500 ft.
All this time, the speed, distance and joystick inputs indicate the drone was still flying until about 4:31 when the pitch, roll and yaw data suggest a crash impact.

I can only guess that there was a malfunction of the altitude sensor and possibly some other components.

If the drone was less than 12 months old, this looks like a warranty issue and you should synch the flight data and chat with DJI's online support to start a case.
Thanks Meta4. I am by no means an expert at reading these logs, but I can assure you there was no bird or rock involvement as I was looking at the drone as I was landing it, and I had a strong GPS connection as well as RC connection (for eEridani's comment above), but Meta4, I did find something in those logs as to a motor issue almost as soon as I started flying and did a loop around the fenced yard. The flight path was indicating red or yellow instead of green and a motor error indication. Not sure if you can see that. The flight looked perfectly normal on my iPhone screen with no error messages other than my battery was getting low, right up to the point that I was preparing to land and then it went haywire and my control stick inputs did little if anything to control and fly the drone. Total time from anomaly commencement to crashing 100 feet away was ~ 11 seconds.

Thanks Meta4. I am by no means an expert at reading these logs, but I can assure you there was no bird or rock involvement as I was looking at the drone as I was landing it, and I had a strong GPS connection as well as RC connection (for eEridani's comment above), but Meta4, I did find something in those logs as to a motor issue almost as soon as I started flying and did a loop around the fenced yard. The flight path was indicating red or yellow instead of green and a motor error indication. Not sure if you can see that. The flight looked perfectly normal on my iPhone screen with no error messages other than my battery was getting low, right up to the point that I was preparing to land and then it went haywire and my control stick inputs did little if nothing to fly the drone.
There's a motor error at 4:19 just a few seconds after the altitude data becomes unreliable.
And not long after, there's a string of Not Enough Force/ESC Error messages.
I couldn't tell if they are genuine errors or a result of the IMU malfunction.

And you are correct about GPS/atti.
It was not a factor in this incident.

Reactions: zeusfl
Thanks Meta4. I am by no means an expert at reading these logs, but I can assure you there was no bird or rock involvement as I was looking at the drone as I was landing it, and I had a strong GPS connection as well as RC connection (for eEridani's comment above), but Meta4, I did find something in those logs as to a motor issue almost as soon as I started flying and did a loop around the fenced yard. The flight path was indicating red or yellow instead of green and a motor error indication. Not sure if you can see that. The flight looked perfectly normal on my iPhone screen with no error messages other than my battery was getting low, right up to the point that I was preparing to land and then it went haywire and my control stick inputs did little if nothing to fly the drone.

Click on the NOTIFICATION tab on the AirData page above. You can read all of the GPS and RC weak signal warnings that were given during the flight. That is what I am basing my statements off of. Here's a partial listing. E.g., your first Homepoint was set somewhere in the middle of that building, not real close to where it seems you launched: 40 feet away according to the log. And the term ATTI means the drone had no GPS, so it would drift with any breeze; and sort of explains the good flight when you were away from the buildings and poor control near them.

I'm curious where you were standing when all this happened: I don't see anyone but those kids in the video when the drone was coming in.

1648443073505.png

Click on the NOTIFICATION tab on the AirData page above. You can read all of the GPS and RC weak signal warnings that were given during the flight. That is what I am basing my statements off of. Here's a partial listing. E.g., your first Homepoint was set somewhere in the middle of that building, not real close to where it seems you launched
The GPS messages are irrelevant to the incident as the OP launched without GPS, went up 15 feet and waited there until he had GPS at 47 seconds.

Simple ESC failure, the drone compensating for the compromised motor until it couldn't anymore. The spiral of Death was when the motor failed completely.

Cheers!

The GPS messages are irrelevant to the incident as the OP launched without GPS, went up 15 feet and waited there until he had GPS at 47 seconds.
That's exactly what I did. I never start flying before I have full GPS and a current homepoint updated and set. The elevation (altitude) at hover is several feet above the sidewalk/parking lot because of the cars parked there.

Reactions: db4476
Simple ESC failure, the drone compensating for the compromised motor until it couldn't anymore. The spiral of Death was when the motor failed completely.
That doesn't account for the altitude data being unbelievable, after things started to go wrong, and the speed, pitch, and roll being OK.
A failed motor would be easily seen in the pitch, roll and yaw data if that was what happened, but the data doesn't support that.

Reactions: zeusfl
All guessing regarding GPS & RC weak signal, ATTI mode & where the HP got recorded in the beginning of the flight is totally unfounded ... nothing of that caused the incident in the end of the flight.

Seeing the video also rule out any problems with thrust loss ... drones doesn't usually ascend with speed when thrust aren't generated from all 4 corners, & on top of that no rapid rotating movement is noticed.

Together with the unrealistic telemetry data after the incident started ... I say that this is either a IMU failure or possibly a FC failure.

As the Mini 2 have encrypted mobile device DAT logs that's how far we can come ... contact DJI regarding this if you still is within the warranty period.

contact DJI regarding this if you still is within the warranty period.

Open a repair ticket with them even if out of warranty . . . they often surprisingly do look after people, depending on how they are approached . . .
Usually at the very least they will offer a varying % discount due to hardware failure, usually for a new aircraft & battery only purchase, so you can get back in the air at reasonably less expense.

Aside from the malfunction, I'd invest in getting your 107. Not sure if you are aware that flying over moving cars (not referring to the crash) is a no-no. Aside from that, I'd call DJI. Definitely a hardware malfunction from what I've read.

Reactions: FLDave
CRASH - LOSS OF CONTROL - Okay, this was one of my first flights on the Mini 2 since the recent firmware update. Before today's crash, I logged 76 miles and 842 minutes of flight time on this Mini 2 without a single hiccup or incident. I was coming in for a landing when the Mini 2 suddenly shuddered, gained altitude and flew over roof (missed hitting it) and out over the street when it again shuddered, flipped upside down then fell to the street where it was promptly run over by traffic! Help! I need to know how to upload the data to the crash website somehow. This is my first crash and I'm not familiar at all on how to do this. Thanks in advance for your help. You can FF to the 2:20 second mark to watch the approach to landing.View attachment 145868
Yikes....definitely a total loss. Glad you were able to eject before the crash! :)

• Haha
Reactions: db4476
CRASH - LOSS OF CONTROL - Okay, this was one of my first flights on the Mini 2 since the recent firmware update. Before today's crash, I logged 76 miles and 842 minutes of flight time on this Mini 2 without a single hiccup or incident. I was coming in for a landing when the Mini 2 suddenly shuddered, gained altitude and flew over roof (missed hitting it) and out over the street when it again shuddered, flipped upside down then fell to the street where it was promptly run over by traffic! Help! I need to know how to upload the data to the crash website somehow. This is my first crash and I'm not familiar at all on how to do this. Thanks in advance for your help. You can FF to the 2:20 second mark to watch the approach to landing.View attachment 145868
That picture, coupled with your description, is seriously creepy...

TCS

Thanks Meta4. I am by no means an expert at reading these logs, but I can assure you there was no bird or rock involvement as I was looking at the drone as I was landing it, and I had a strong GPS connection as well as RC connection (for eEridani's comment above), but Meta4, I did find something in those logs as to a motor issue almost as soon as I started flying and did a loop around the fenced yard. The flight path was indicating red or yellow instead of green and a motor error indication. Not sure if you can see that. The flight looked perfectly normal on my iPhone screen with no error messages other than my battery was getting low, right up to the point that I was preparing to land and then it went haywire and my control stick inputs did little if anything to control and fly the drone. Total time from anomaly commencement to crashing 100 feet away was ~ 11 seconds.
I'm starting to wonder if the recent update has caused an over-sensitivity to low battery levels, that in turn causes erratic or non-existent flight control response.

I observed some behavior that could have been explained by that in my fist post-update flight in my Mini-2, but no crash resulted, and I was too busy trying to get it to land properly to pay much attention to the details.

Dunno. Not solid data on my part. But I think I'm starting to see an outline of a pattern.

TCS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas