DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini 2 or wait for the 3?

cambsno

Reactions
Have had my Mini for a year - had some fun with it and am tempted by the 2, RAW and the controller are the key things.

But, at some point soon, a 3 will be released, and dont want to get a 2, for a 3 to be launched three months later which makes me regret the purchase. The only thing that would do that would be a better camera, like 24mp or something.

Is that likely or will the 3 be likely to be 12mp still?

same boat for me too lol... 2 hours ago i was at best buy in front of the shelve looking at the mini2 combo box and talking to me about the mini 3 and then telling me it would be nice to grab mini2 and be able to fly it with my smart controler...then i thought about my pro2 i will not use anymore if i got it so...i went back home lol

The 2 is awesome.

There's always going to be a next one. Doesn't matter which one u get
So right. There is always going to be another new model just around the corner. How long are you prepared to wait. The Mini 2 is a great little drone.
Regards

So right. There is always going to be another new model just around the corner. How long are you prepared to wait. The Mini 2 is a great little drone.
Regards

Not really - I would never buy an iPhone 3 months before the launch of a new model - would rather wait for the new one or a cheaper current model.

If the 2 was say 24mp then it would be perfect, I just dont want to buy now and regret in 3 months as the 3 delivers that.

Reactions: PXDon
If they can produce. Just like Playstation. Still can't get one yr later

Last edited:
Yeah I don't think your going to see a Mini 3 till sometime next year, I would rather fly while we can in this hobby...I fear it is going to get shaky in the next few years. Truth be known I bought a two year old drone (new). Buy what works and works for you, not to keep up, as said you will never keep up. The iPhone is a prime example, it's a darn phone for goodness sakes. I use a brand new 2016 phone...it still makes phone calls too...even with the rotary dial. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Not really - I would never buy an iPhone 3 months before the launch of a new model - would rather wait for the new one or a cheaper current model.

If the 2 was say 24mp then it would be perfect, I just dont want to buy now and regret in 3 months as the 3 delivers that.
Totally agree man. There's plenty of chatter out there predicting an upgraded Mini 3 (not the SE) releasing in the fall to fight back competition like the Zino Mini Pro.
I'm super interested in the Mini 3 and plan to grab one asap to make for a better international travel drone compared to my Air 2.
I don't need obstacle avoidance in it. Just a better camera and remote ID so I can take full advantage of my part 107 cert.

Reactions: Itzmyobsession
Well, let's say they do release the 3 soon after you buy a 2, do you think your 2 would be worthless? Hardly. Sell it and get a 3. Look at it like you've 'rented it for a few months'. This is not rocket science.

Reactions: Hunnicuttz
Not really - I would never buy an iPhone 3 months before the launch of a new model ...
The problems with that logic are:
1. You have no idea whether you are 3 months (or 23 months) before the launch of a new model.
2. You have no idea what features a new model might or might not have.

Making decisions on such unknowns isn't a smart thing to do.
It's better to consider facts that can be objectively assessed.
Does the Mini 2 do what you want or need?

1. You have no idea whether you are 3 months (or 23 months) before the launch of a new model.

But new technology is leaked all the time when it comes to the next model of consumer electronics.
I would NEVER buy a new iphone in the mid-late summer because they always release a new model in the fall.

That said, your closing comment is spot on. What drone capabilities does the OP NEED now?
If the current Mini gets the job done, wait.
If you need more capabilities now just upgrade now with the option upgrading in 3-6 months and sell the Mini 2 for a bit of a loss if you'd like.

Reactions: AlgebraMan
But new technology is leaked all the time when it comes to the next model of consumer electronics.
I would NEVER buy a new iphone in the mid-late summer because they always release a new model in the fall.
Details of DJI drones don't get leaked.
From just after the release of a new DJI drone there's constant forum chatter about what users hope or would like to see in a new model.
Iphones might have a regular update schedule, but DJI drone release times are not predictable like that.

If you are interested in better photography..take a look at the Air2S,,,I have a Mini2 and fly with a guy who has a Pro and an Air2S...the Air 2S is a lot easier to see in the sky....it really can move fast and appears to maneuver a lot better than the Mini2 ...so ...besides good photography...it does have more to offer....if you aren't interested in the sensors...there is a lot to be said for its Accutrac feature, also

I have an Air 2S and a Mini 2...... both are fantastic. If you are set on an inexpensive drone, buy the Mini 2 and don't look back. Yes there will be a Mini 3 at some point but I don't think we will see it anytime soon.

Reactions: Gagey52
Have had my Mini for a year - had some fun with it and am tempted by the 2, RAW and the controller are the key things.

But, at some point soon, a 3 will be released, and dont want to get a 2, for a 3 to be launched three months later which makes me regret the purchase. The only thing that would do that would be a better camera, like 24mp or something.

Hi Cambsno,

Ask your self what you need? Are you flying for pleasure or commercial? If you wait for 3.. 4 is on its way and after that 5...

Logical Mr Spock?

If you are interested in better photography..take a look at the Air2S,,,I have a Mini2 and fly with a guy who has a Pro and an Air2S...the Air 2S is a lot easier to see in the sky....it really can move fast and appears to maneuver a lot better than the Mini2 ...so ...besides good photography...it does have more to offer....if you aren't interested in the sensors...there is a lot to be said for its Accutrac feature, also
Air2S I didn't go for - great drone, but too big, requires registration, and the Mini 2 already has an excellent camera.

Im with Cambsno on this one. Not long to go for the Mini 3 - taking its the anchor drone forDJI on sales, seasonal buyers are at hand (usually July-November periods based on previous launches of the last 2 generations), and competition (Hubsan/Zino) are coming shortly offering better features - albeit we don't really know them as well as DJI (nor do I trust the quality, taking the recent fracas with one of their launches).

In order of possible launch timelines we should see the Mavic 3 coming August, and Mini 3 very shortly after. And, yes, I'm guessing based on multiple factors, YouTubers (one or two in the know), and history of commercial trends with DJI.

Boils down to what you want though. My Mini 2 does superb photos, flies where I want it to get, handles wind superbly, is small enough not be be stared at by passersby, is portable and and all-round miracle of tech. But, taking the Mini 3 will have to bring a better camera, more sensors (I don't care for them), lossless zoom, O3, etc. I'm onboard for that one :)

I would still use my Mini 2 though for backup in future...

And, yes, I'm guessing based on multiple factors, YouTubers (one or two in the know), and history of commercial trends with DJI.
More like guessing based on no factors.
The Mini 2 has only been out just over 6 months.
The history of DJI releases only shows that there is no pattern to them.
Nothing at all is known about whether there will be a Mini 3 or when it might show up.
You may as well consult an astrologer or some tea leaves.

Always the Mini 2SE that is coming to Walmart. Maybe even Costco with a decent price.

I see no reason to upgrade from a Mini to Mini??? unless some great new features show up.

Best to move up to the Air2 /2S for the exact reason mentioned. OA, 48MP camera, 4k video, and more. Sure, it is 2-3 times the price, but my Air2 makes my Mini look like a Parrot Nothing that costs maybe $50.

I have kept my Mini for 1 reason. To take overseas / out of country and be able to fly without all the restrictions that CE and others have like here in the US. Otherwise, why keep it when I have the Air2 and all the awesome features and great flying it does.

Reactions: AlgebraMan

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ